“Always my first choice at Foxwoods” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Tower

Save Saved
You added The Fox Tower to your Saves list
The Fox Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, CT 06338 (Formerly MGM Grand at Foxwoods)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Mashantucket
Boston, Massachusetts
“Always my first choice at Foxwoods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Everytime I go to Foxwoods I stay at MGM. Gorgeous rooms that are always pristine! Never an issue with service they've been quite helpful. Great location in the resort. No noise issues. Satisfied every time thus far.

• Stayed October 2012

907 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I arrived on Thursday night 7:30 pm with no bellman on duty, no carts and then 1.5 hour wait to checking. So decided to eat dinner in juniors adjacent to lobby and line would be less. At end of dinner we alternated between family members and it was still 45 minute wait. When it was our turn we were told only smoking room Kings left. Problem Mom with medical issue and 2 kids 19 year old girl and 15 year old boy. We offered to pay for suite for night and check out at 8am and they could have suite for weekend. Ms. Julie Cleaowich front desk shift manager said I had to take a smoking room even though I had booked nonsmoking or she would give me lists of places in area to call. I implored with her that for several reasons I could not stayin smoking room and she said none available on property. So as I was trying to call corporate relations, my daughter heard them giving a couple a non smoking room who was 20 minutes behind us in line. Then a Dad and daughter I know was given a nonsmoking room with two beds. In addition I met up with another Mom who had 2 children who they also were saying smoking and 1 bed. While this was going they were calling other hotels for roll always. All of these families were here for a soccer tournament so as far as I know no high rollers.the only thing I can think was women alone with2children. I'm married but my husband didn't take day off from work. Just plain old discrimination. I had booked earlier in calendar year, had. Arrived and waited reach front desk sooner had used premium credit card. I'm writing this on IPAD so please excuse messy typing.

Ms. Cleaowich was the least customer service oriented person I ever met. After I told her since this was a multiple family problem she really should be calling area hotels for us. She told me she found one but it was more money. I said I had to have nonsmoking. She took my credit card and ID but never told new hotel Hilton Garden Inn any info about us and another family who drove over there. And she never offered to give us resort pass even though other family had 10 year old girl crying that she could go in pool with her friends.

I am stunned completely. It wasn't about money for us but health reasons. Never mind my daughter was playing at 8am Saturday morning and this was really distracting.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stacy M, Manager at The Fox Tower, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Mrs. M,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that we have had the opportunity to speak, and I look forward to meeting you in person.
With respect to the anonymity on TripAdvisor, I will reference in more general terms, our discussion. As you know, Foxwoods is thrilled to be hosting a very large soccer group, with more than 1900 guests on property. MGM Grand at Foxwoods committed every single one of our 2-bedded, Queen rooms to the group. We prepared for the arrival of the families and teams, and thought that we had accurate arrival information and times.
Unfortunately, we were wrong.
As I had explained during our conversation, we depend on reliable arrival information to provide the exceptional service that MGM Grand at Foxwoods has become known for. WIthout too much detail, we were most definitely NOT told to expect 1200 people to flood the hotel Lobby at 6pm, on buses. This led to a very challenging evening for our arriving guests, and I regret this very much. As we move forward and plan for next year's group, we will be (I am certain) given much more detailed and accurate information. I hope that your family joins us next year. I am very confident that you will be thrilled if you do.
Being the largest casino in the Northeast, we certainly do cater to all types of guests, and many of our treasured, loyal guests are smokers, who appreciate the ability to smoke in their rooms when stepping away for a break from the gaming floor. For that reason, we do have 4 smoking permitted floors. Of course, we do have 2 bedded, Queen rooms on those floors. In anticipation and celebration of our arriving athletes, we did seek from the travel planners, a list of those who had medical aversions to smoking permitted rooms. We received an extensive list, and it pleases me to report that every guest who sent that information in advance, received a non smoking accommodation.
In addition, any guests who arrived on Thursday and did not receive their preferred room type, were moved and accommodated early Friday.
Working hand in hand with the travel company, I assure you that we are committed to providing every comfort to the families and teams that are traveling with the group.
I do hope that the weather clears, and that I can, as we discussed, escort you and your family to the Foxwoods pool of your choice for the day. Congratulations to your daughter on the big win. I hope to have the opportunity to apologize to your children for their first experience at MGM Grand at Foxwoods.

I remain at your service.

Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Hotel Manager
SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
860.312.8525
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Wow. I am at this hotel now and am appalled by the poor service. Am here for another soccer tournament. The hotel was completely unprepared for the arrival of families. We waited in line for nearly 2 HOURS just to check in! They had three people working at registration (and 4 or 5 empty computer stations).
When I asked for some sort of compensation (a breakfast voucher perhaps?) I was told they would do no such thing.
The place stinks like cigarettes, they are totally overwhelmed by the numbers of people here. I see on the breakfast list that if we're hungry in the morning we can buy a $6 muffin.
This hotel contracted with the soccer association. It is the most expensive of the hotels offered and clubs were assigned to hotels- with no choice in the matter and fined if we backed out so we have no recourse. Of course we are getting a somewhat discounted rate-- and every penny of it feels like a ripoff.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Canton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed for one night to go gamble. We checked in about 7PM and had to wait a little while, even though we were premier members. The room was smaller than we expected for the price. We requested a non-smoking room, however; they gave us a smoking room. We had to ask them to change rooms several times before they accommodated us. The bed was ok - definitely not the most comfortable one we have stayed in. If I was going to the casino again I would try a different hotel.

Room Tip: There was some construction when we went. I would make sure you request a room away from the constr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
North Andover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I did have a problem on my last visit 6/16/13 2night stay- they made an error and moved me to another floor, but I didn't request it nor did I actually move to a different room: During Bruins game, the tv did change to the menu and phone flashed white then black, but I was able to get the game back on. I didn't think anything of the tv acting up and after watching the Bruins game Monday night, I was tired from staying up late the night before & went to bed around 11pm. The door was already locked & security bolt on/did that at 6pm. At around 3:20am Tuesday morning, BAM - sounded like a bomb went off, a man got into my room, he broke thru the security lock. Nothing happened, thank goodness. I was half asleep, asked him how he got in & asked him to get out of my room twice. After he left, I called the desk and spoke to a manager. She said that man was coded to that room & that I'd been moved to another room. I said no, I've been in this room since Sunday. She apologized, this has never happened before & offered me a free upgrade to a suite the next time I visited. As I kept talking to her, she then offered me breakfast food comp on my room account plus I could check out 2pm. I spoke to another manager when checking out. I was told an investigation was ongoing & I'd be notified. I called and spoke to very first manager I spoke to about this, about the $100 charge on my account & was told it takes a few days to be removed as pending. I also did tell her that I already booked a 2 night stay next month. Then a few days later, 6/20/13 I received an email from this manager about the upgrade room & she offered a "one night free" upgrade to a suite. She also said that they were investigating & would get back to me. I found the hotel managers name on this tripadvisor website, as she replied to another customer comment, and I emailed her that same day about this. That was a week ago, no response. I waited to post this until today 6/27 as I figured I would hear from the hotel manager by now, considering the type of security problem. I am in the customer service business and I expect the same superior service that I provide to my own customers and a quick response time. The way I feel, this is unacceptable. Toss a few bread crumbs and the problem goes away?? Except for this major security issue, I did have a fun - won on the slots and bingo plus a double rainbow.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Stacy M, Manager at The Fox Tower, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear MGMGrander,

I am very disappointed to say that I did not receive any correspondence from you regarding your most upsetting recent stay. The comfort and happiness of my guests is of paramount importance to me. I am thrilled to hear that your other stays at MGM Grand at Foxwoods have been so positive. With much respect to the anonymity policy on TripAdvisor, I would request that you contact me personally. I am very eager to discuss this situation with you. In addition to my email below, please see my direct phone number.
While I would much rather communicate with you via telephone or email, I will say that there was a situation recently that sounds quite similar to what you describe. In that situation, our guests were assisted by two Front Office Shift Managers, where a great deal of time, as well as compensation, were issued. The security issue that you describe is of great concern to us, and this is the only time that I am aware of it taking place.
Please contact me so that we can discuss further. I do hope to have the opportunity to host your stay again soon.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Hotel Manager
SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
860.312.8525
South Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at MGM this past month for a couple of nights. The room was very nice and the bed was really comfortable. (Not that you stay in your room that much but it is nice to have a very comfy bed.) It is alittle away from the rest of the casinos but if you don't mind a little walk to the others than you'll be fine. I love a good cup of coffee in the morning and the only place to get one is Juniors which was okay. Dunkin and Panera are on the other side of the resort also. They should have some other options when it comes to light lunches and such on the MGM side but I did like the casino. And FYI, if you stay on the weekend expect young drunk adults all over the place. They hang at the Shrine and boy they were intoxicated!!

Room Tip: Don't get a room over the Shrine, it's pretty loud
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
long island, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for one night to go to the spa.
Didn't get to use the pool but it looked beautiful.
We checked in late and were provided with a nice room overlooking the pool on the 14th floor.
We had no issues with the room. It has a fridge which was nice. Shower was nice, bathroom was roomy. Lighting in the room overall could have been better. Bed was very comfy with nice pillows and comforter. We ordered room service for breakfast and they were very fast and the food was good. No problems upon checkout. Overall i would stay here again, wish i could have used the pool, but it was 'liquid sundays' and you had to pay even if you were a guest to use it. Not a fan of that. We booked online awhile ago and got a decent price. The only gripe i had was that the bathroom smelled of cigarette smoke even though we had a non smoking room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Fox Tower? Share your experiences!