“Wonderful Hotel - could skip the rest!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Tower

You added The Fox Tower to your Saves list
The Fox Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, CT 06338 (Formerly MGM Grand at Foxwoods)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
NH
“Wonderful Hotel - could skip the rest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods. We had a Directors Suite and it was an amazing room at just about $200 a night (including the taxes and resort fee). The room was quite and very comfortable. Unfortunately we had a view of the parking garage and highway rather than the view of the majestic Connecticut woods as the web site boasts! I would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again, though I do wish that we didn't have walk through the casino to get to the hotel elevators!

We originally thought it would be fun to get away and gamble a little but after seeing the people sitting at the slot machines for hours and hours on end just ruined the image. I am convinced that the gambling is secondary to a place for people who smoke to do so indoors.

We thought it was understood that the gambling is the draw and made the mistaken assumption that the food and alcohol would be more reasonably priced. It was a major disappointment to find that a meal at David Burke Prime, for 2 was well over $150 (shared Caesar Salad, steak with no sides and scallops...2 glasses of wine and a beer). Will post a more detailed review on David Burke Prime.

So the hotel room was great but I think I could get as nice a room elsewhere and with the ultimate cost of the food/alcohol you could most certainly get room without the negative aspects of the casino, smoking and people in scooters playing the slots for hours on end.

Room Tip: Book early for the best price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Kingston, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My room was nice but nothing special! It was clean and updated. The room was on the smaller side. We stayed there because we were seeing Lisa Lampanelli and I thought it would be better to stay onsite. We had to walk FAR from our room to see the show and they drive the prices way up! I would not stay again because of the cost. I would rather drive 15 minutes and save hundreds of dollars.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Townsend, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

After coming to accept the day fee for using the pool, hot tub, and sauna at the spa at MGM during the winter, we arrived for our stay on Friday, April 19. I asked at the front desk on check in the opening time for the spa. Was not informed they only allow people with services scheduled to use the pool on Saturdays. Got dressed in our suits on Sat AM and headed downstairs only to find that we could not purchase day passes - even though at 6:30 AM there was not a soul in the pool area. Went back up to the front desk to discuss this. Was told you need to purchase a day pass. We told the front desk we were fine with that. She checked further and found, no, unless we had a treatment, we could not use it. The outdoor pool does not open until May. The only pool available was all the way over at the Grand Pequot. Some 'resort destination' !
Upon check out, I asked to speak with the manager to voice my displeasure. Was told basically, too bad. Go over to Grand Pequot.
We would not have booked this hotel if we had not been specifically told that we had access to the spa. We get comped rooms and I could have booked at any of the hotels on site.
That will be our last stay at MGM. No tubs in the rooms, either. Just a shower that leaks all over the floor.
How can a hotel that bills itself as a resort not have a pool?????

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have to say that they really did a great job at revamping this place. Yes I stayed at the MGM Grand and I am as always made comfortable as always/ But I do have to say that the SPA is fantastic. The massages that I got were out of this world. The Pool area with all the little extras like juices and towels. Are right their for your desire. I almost feel like not saying anything about this place because I know that it will only bring more people there. But I have to say that I love it.
Bring your girl friends wifes and even your mother in laws. It is a experience to beat all other experiences. Enjoy everybody. And you Wife's out there. Make your husband or your wife's take you to the Spa. : )

Pascoag, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night for our 8th wedding anniversary 4/15/13 and had a great time. We had the producer's suite which was beautiful. We were on the 20th floor and had amazing views of the trees and beyond.. The room and bathroom were absolutely spotless.. i have have very high standards when it comes to cleaning. I always bring my own cleaning products to wipe and clean the room down, I was so impressed that I did not need to clean anything. I took advantage of the over sized bath tub, and had a nice relaxing bath while I listened to my pandora music. I honestly got up early to just to take one more relaxing retreat in the bathroom before we checked out.. We enjoyed ourselves by having drinks, shopping and eating. We really do not gamble, but I won $63 when I put $5 in a slot machine.. That was a nice surprise .. Overall, we had a great time, I think we may make this a yearly tradition for our anniversary.. We also saved lots on our room by booking through AAA in advance , I paid $ 187 for one night. But if we had waited the same room we had was going for $350.. So I highly recommend booking through AAA to get the discount...

Room Tip: Book through AAA to get 10% discount..
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just returned from a visit to MGM Foxwoods. We spent one night for a little getaway with another couple.

We arrived early and the rooms weren't ready yet. No problem, we checked our bags and went to explore the property. Checked out the MGM casino which was nice. A good but not huge variety of slots and tables. Next we had some lunch at a deli and had a pretty good sandwich. There were a decent amount of lunch options in all price ranges. At that point we explored some of the other casinos on the Foxwoods side and I personally liked these better, more variety in slots and they had a race book. We spent some time drinking and gambling in the race book. Bartender took great care of us since we were sitting at the bar and the setup of the book was nice, plenty of tv's and info.

We ate dinner at David Burke Prime. Super expensive casino steakhouse prices and the steak was above average for sure just not "wow" great. Someone in our party got the Alaskan King crab, delicious!

Hit a good bar later in the evening and played quite a bit. The whole place was hopping with a varied crowd well into the early hours of the morning.

The room was nice, very clean & modern and we had a great view of the grounds. Water pressure was excellent in the shower. The only complaint I have is that the bed was way too soft. Felt like I was sinking into it all night.

Overall, this is a great place for a weekend getaway. Plenty of gaming and restaurant options. Customer service was good all around and I'd imagine that in summer the pool is probably a nice was to spend some time too. Additionally, one member of our party golfed and enjoyed the course. I'd return and probably will at some point.

West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night on 4/13/2013. Everything perfect from valet parking, VIP check-in, beautiful room, excellent food, lively casino and bar scene, and room service the next morning. Great combination of Vegas feel and Connecticut location.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The Fox Tower? Share your experiences!