“It was my first time at a casino/hotel and I was impressed by the MGM Tower” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Tower

Save Saved
You added The Fox Tower to your Saves list
The Fox Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, CT 06338 (Formerly MGM Grand at Foxwoods)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Mashantucket
New York City
“It was my first time at a casino/hotel and I was impressed by the MGM Tower”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The rooms are spacious and the beds are incredibly comfortable though the amenities in the rooms should include terry bathrobes which only come with the suites upstairs. The only quibble is that I was struck by the overpowering smell of cigarette smoke on the way from the lobby to the tower. It doesn't make for a very positive overall first impression. Overall though the service was first rate and I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

889 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was my first trip to Foxwoods, and from what I could see, the MGM Grand was by far the better hotel to stay at on that property. It's a sleek modern hotel, with a nice sized gaming floor at it's feet. You should be aware that if you're going to stay at Foxwoods, that the MGM is a good distance walk to the main casino floor of the older portion of Foxwoods - plan a good 5-10 minutes depending on the speed you walk. That being said, I largely found that there wasn't a whole lot of reasons to go to the other side of the property, unless you were specifically trying to go to an establishment over there or a show. The MGM side is much higher-end then the portion of the property, and that was visible in the trim, the machines, the decoration, and even the people - who progressively got more sketchy the further you walked from the MGM.

Room sizes were described by my friends as small, though I thought my double-queen room was just fine. The bathroom had a shower only, no bathtub - which is fine in my book - and the shower had very hot water with tons of pressure. I do think it's worth noting that the primary credenza in the bedroom was a little beat up - chipped and scratched along the leading surface, though the room showed little wear and tear anywhere else. The only other thing worth noting is that the TV in the room is grossly undersized in this day in age for a hotel TV, the remote barely worked, and the on-screen system was slow to respond and just struck me as odd.

The friend that I stayed with was woken up in the middle of the night by loud music that came from what I only think was a batchelor party going on down the hall - he didn't call to complain, and I slept right through it.

All-in-all, I would stay at the MGM again - I found it far nicer than the rooms at Mohegan Sun, though I like the offerings and layout at Mohegan better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I stay here quite often because it is really does give the perfect rest and relaxation after a day at the casino. The beds are amazingly comfortable. The rooms are always impeccably clean also which being a germaphobe I appreciate! I also love the fact that they provide a clean comforter because some of these other hotels reuse it and that makes me gag just thinking about it. :-) I even noticed that they have a filter right in the heating vents which I appreciate because clean air is always good especially since there is lots of smoking going on in the casinos. The housekeeping team is superb! I asked for an extra blanket and they had it to me in 2 minutes flat and asked me if there might be anything else I might need. All of that service and he wouldn't take a tip because he was the supervisor. Now you know its good service when someone goes above and beyond and expects nothing in return! Also the view of the miles of endless forest is beautiful if you get that scenic side. You get an amazing view of the sunset! Now here is my secret tip for all of you thinking of going and only require a king bed.. Put in a request for a corner room. The walls are all glass and you get the cool tv that pops up out of the wooden chest at the end of the bed. These rooms are a little smaller but are amazing! The only drawback for this hotel is that it is quite a hike to the main area of Foxwoods like the Grand Cedar and Pequot area. Another tip:If you are going to stay here and want to head to the far other side for Bingo, or race book etc don't do the walk in high heels and get blisters like I did. :) There is a shuttle that runs right outside near Valet parking every 15 minutes and you can hop on and get a free ride to the other end of Foxwoods. Hope this helps! Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013
Keene, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Honestly we cannot remember the last time we had this kind of service. From the moment we pulled in, right through the moment we left, the service was impeccable. Each staff member we encountered provided us with top-notch service. If we had to pick a "rose and a thorn" of the trip, rose would be the shows we saw while we were there and the thorn would be the smell of cigarette smoke in the casino areas. We have not one negative comment for the hotel itself or any of the service received. JUST FANTASTIC!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellmore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

First I have to say that this hotel is beautiful!!! The beds are comfortable and the shower is great.
That said ....at reservations you are charged a $12.99 resort fee. This fee is for two 8 oz bottles of water in your room (woo hoo), in-room coffee maker (every motel or hotel has this) and morning newspaper delivered to your room (never got one and when I inquired about this I was told that you had to request it when you checked in). When we checked in we had a girl who was interning from Johnson and Wales and were never offered the morning paper. I don't blame her. When I pointed out to staff both at the room site and down at the front desk that I had already been charged for the newspaper they did not seem to care. I was told that they have over 800 rooms and cannot deliver papers to all. Well they may have 800 rooms but they did not have 800 occupancy. Also we were instructed to go down to the lobby for the paper and when we did they had a stack of two types of newspapers at the front desk. Which WE had paid for. Very poor policy. Shame on you MGM for nickel and diming for a newspaper.On top of this fee, if you want to try the indoor pool it's another $15 fee.
Also this hotel at Foxwoods is very far away from restaurants and most shops. If I stay at Foxwoods again, would probably choose Grand Pequot or Great Cedar for location reasons. This trip,however, confirmed that I would prefer to stay near or at Mohegan Sun. It's a nicer casino and love their 1/4 penny slots.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Berlin, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The G Spa at the MGM Grand Foxwoods is a wonderful full service spa. I was not staying at the hotel but they have a $25 day pass which allows you to use all of the spa facilities. There is a great workout room with all of the latest equipment that is very spacious. The pool area has comfortable lounges and a large hot tub. I especially like the sauna/steam room area which includes a hot tub with a waterfall. The showers in the locker room are large and have several jets of water spraying at you along with heated towel bars. The staff was pleasant and the towels, drinks and snacks were always thee when you wanted them. I spent a day there over the holidays with my adult daughter who was home on college break. They have a sunrise/sunset treatment special for $99 which includes entry into the spa and one treatment. She loved her facial and enjoyed relaxing for a good part of the day at the facility. We ordered lunch from the room service menu and enjoyed it by the pool. Its a great way to spend a relaxing day and if you are not a gambler, you can go into Mystic or Stonington which are only about 15 minutes away. If you want to treat yourself to a few hours of relaxation in a really nice spa, the G Spa is a good choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed at the MGM Grand once again and as usual had a great time. The rooms are clean and well decorated. Location is the most convenient for shows at the MGM Grand Theatre and the nightclub Shrine. There is also a good selection of restaurants.

If you are looking to gamble we prefer the Grand Pequot or Rainmaker, especially for table games. Also these casinos are less smoky and noisy. Still for some reason rooms at the MGM tend to be cheaper and the walk is not too long.

However if you are looking for a little more atmosphere combined with a younger crowd then you are in the right place.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better on weekends club can be loud. Gym is free and features a complete set of...