“Nice hotel, not so nice slots!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Tower

Save Saved
You added The Fox Tower to your Saves list
The Fox Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, CT 06338 (Formerly MGM Grand at Foxwoods)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Mashantucket
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice hotel, not so nice slots!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

There were four of us who do an overnight each summer at the Connecticut casinos. This year we we sleected the MGM Grand because of its outdoor pool. The hotel was very nice. we had two rooms, one on either side of the hoyel overlooking the entrance and the pool area. Both were newly appointed with high quality beds and bedding. The bathroom was large and had a double shower. The rate was decent and the overnight was fun.

The casino was small and there were few table games and too many penny slot machines. The machines were not kind!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

913 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Back in 2009 I had some problems getting my charges/bill corrected. I have since stay at MGM Grand multiple time over the last two years and I have been very happy to report complete statisfaction. The rooms are clean and classy, the front desk staff is wonderful and very helpful and the check out and accuracy of charges and billing has been problem free. So, I would highly recommend staying here if you choose Foxwooods Casino as a destination.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband & I stayed at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods for our anniversary. We normally go to Las Vegas, but couldn't make it this year. But this hotel actually felt like we were in Vegas!!

We were pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel is. Check-in line was a bit long; I was suprised to see so many people checking in. The casino had a good atmosphere to it and the room was sooo nice! I loved the bathroom. The shower was awesome. I want a shower like that at home! The room was very clean and very modern with a flat screen tv. Don't even look at the mini bar or else you have to pay for it. The bed was comfy. Although, the walls are thin because our neighbors came in around 2 a.m. and continued to party in their room... > : (

The pool was pretty nice too. A little small, but nice and lots of chairs. Bar service wasn't too great... my husb had to go get our drinks himself. They should've had music playing too; and no one checked to see if we were hotel guests either. Not sure if just anyone can use the pool???

I thought the cost was kinda high though. We didn't have enough points so we got the AAA rate. This room cost me more than 3 nights at the Mirage in Vegas this past May, but it was our anniversary so why not!! Luckily, I won enough money on slots to pay the cost of the room, so I broke even there! There is also the resort fee tacked on.

I would definately stay here again though. It was a nice get away!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My Maid of Honor booked a non-smoking room at MGM for my Bachelorette party. When we arrived at the hotel, the valet line was backed up and once inside the check-in line was wrapped arount the lobby and it took us forever to get to the counter. Once at the counter, we were informed that there were no more non-smoking rooms left and that we would be placed in a smoking room. Seeing as non of us smoke and one of the girls has bad allergies, we were very disappointed. After a few minutes in the room, the phone rings from the front desk to tell us they now have a non-smoking room available, we already had a bell man at our door with our bags, so he said he'd go down and get us our new keys and be back to help us move. We had already started getting ready for the night, so while the bell man was away, we repacked our things. When he returned, he informed us that there actually are no non-smoking rooms available and it was a miscommunication. Right after he finished telling us this, the front desk calls us again saying they have a non-smoking room available. At this point we have already wasted a lot of time waiting around (almost 2 hours!) and are late for our dinner reservations, and also not too confident there is actually a room available... It was not a great start to the night (not to mention Scorpion Bar had lost our reservations, which is a whole other story...). We had originally planned on having my bachelorette at Mohegan (since I've stayed there before and enjoyed it), but chose MGM since they gave us a better deal on a hotel room; we regret the decision and do not plan on returning to MGM.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation with a Manager.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The place is a little confusing upon arrival; even my GPS was confused - but the signage is pretty good. Free valet parking as a hotel guest of the MGM was great - not a usual perk at a casino. Check in was easy. Rates are pretty high on the weekends, but Fridays are much cheaper than Saturdays. I did get a room upgrade and the room was Vegas-caliber.
Although the casino complex has been added onto several times and is a labryrinth you could get lost in, the MGM portion is self-contained and there is no real reason to leave. The casino in the MGM has everything you need (smoking and non, and high limits, with all the games). My complaint about the casino is that smoking and non-smoking tables are added at the gamblers discretion, not by section; so you may be sitting right next to two smoking tables. Not great. They could easily remedy this, but seem to have no desire to. Also, the staff seems quite displeased to be MGM employees and are vocal about this. NOT my problem, and I got tired of hearing it. Hey MGM, treat these folks better! Also, table limits are never low, even in the morning - considering I'm in Connecticut, that seems a bit off. I've found better deals in Vegas. But the club card perks come quicker, so there is a trade-off.
The food in the restaurants I ate in was appropriately priced and good. Juniors for breakfast, $12 for eggs and all; Craftsteak for steak and wine, $100. Other options are available - Chinese/sushi and Italian.
One final peeve, no drinks are served until 10am in the casino, so forget about a bloody mary to cure what ails you. And when the drinks are flowing, they are very slow in coming.
Definitely not Vegas; and about all you save on is the airfare.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Bronxville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We booked a block of four rooms and were accommodated on the same floor and in close vicinity of each other.  Our ringleader booked through her casino  host and we were comped for few amenities including poolside cabana.

First night's  dinner was at Al Dente's and we enjoyed it. Good food not exceptional but nice wine list by the glass and attentive service. After that we had a table reserved and Shrine which is modeled after Tao's. Bottle service with a 20 something crowd. Girls dress in skin tight mini's and stiletto's. Pack accordingly!  The next night we went to the Scorpion Bar.  The mexican restaurant was funky food and drinks were good white sangria was excellent.  Scorpion brings in a band at around 10:00 and this felt like more of a rock vibe but we left to hit the roullette wheel  The clubs were fun. Mostly on the young side.The lounge in the middle of the casino floor was jamming on Saturday night which was also fun. Btw, the food court grill makes a great bacon egg and cheese on a roll in the morning and was much cheaper than Juniors.

The room was fairly quit for casino accommodations with all night revelers.  You aren't there for the rest. Bedding was comfy and bathroom was roomy but agree with other posters they should have a door you can shut while you are on the commode.

The hotel staff were uniformly super friendly willing to help and eager to please.  Very nice atmosphere.  The spa was also up to a pretty high standard.  Massage was good not great. I should have gotten deep tissue because it wasn't rigorous enough for me and in fairness I should have said something but I did not.  I also had a blowout in the salon and they did a decent job but a little too much product to defrizz. Again I should have said something but I didn't.  Nice facilities with an attendant, indoor pool and a quiet terrace overlooking the hotel pool. The outdoor pool was pretty small and sort of blah. They are trying.  The cabanas are not up to opulent Vegas standards but it was very nice to have the shade and reserved space.  Unfortunately there were three bachelorette parties in a row and in the middle cabana they jammed 18 obnoxious "ladies" into space for 10. Everyone else suffered on account. Management should have stepped in but did not until there was a ruckus that got everyone riled up and our server apologizing to us for being inattentive. We were all pretty good sports about it to keep our happy mojo going for the bride. But wasn't really much fun poolside mainly because of the overcrowding.

We had a fun weekend. Good choice for a bachelorette  within driving distance of NYC.  Go with an open mind you might be surprised!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

my husband and i took advantage of a one day $59 room rate at the hotel. The room was spacious, clean and quite nice. The most positive aspect was the bedding and the pillows. I can't remember teh last time I was this comfortable in a hotel. Everything was just a cut above and made us feel very comfortasble

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Fox Tower? Share your experiences!