“Very Good Stay Even with a Hiccup” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Pequot Tower
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rte. 2, Mashantucket, CT 06339   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Mashantucket
rhode island
“Very Good Stay Even with a Hiccup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Although it was a short-lived one night stay (had to be back at work the next day), it was still very enjoyable. The reservation process was quick and easy and I was able to do it online without any questions or confusion. I also called reservations to have some requests made and the gentleman was extremly nice and professional and made me feel good about possibly getting my requests honored. I had previously stayed at MGM Grand (mo' money and mo' problems) but the Grand Pequot was a huge difference and I am so glad I gave it a shot.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a smiling valet welcoming us in and offering baggage help and even confirming our stay details before leaving the car. It can be confusing getting to the hotels so its understandbale if you end up at the wrong one by mistake. Our luggage was light so we decided to grab it ourselves and head inside to check in. The front desk was okay, very official and by the book but at the same time, Ciara, our agent was a bit more personable in the end after she got through the intial steps. She was even kind enough to offer a late check out and helpful breakfast options. Also, the Pequot has the best location as it is pretty much in the center of the resort.

The room was nice, well cleaned, and a great size. The beds are super comfortable and must be new within the past 3 years or so. The bathroom was a great size as well and fully accomodated our group of 5. The view was a little odd, the back side of the hotel is almost shaped like a "U" so it was very easy to look into other peoples rooms. So make sure you remember to close the blinds.

Now the hiccup: the valets and bell desk need better communication. I had forgotten something in the car so I called the operator to see if it could be retrieved and delivered to the room. He transferred me to valet who sounded confused over my request and put me on hold. Then he said he would bring the car up but would wait for the bellman to call me since he would be bringing it to the room. He said 15 minutes and I would receive the call. I waited and waited but no call ever came and we had to get somehwere so I decided to figure it out later. Then I stopped at the bell desk and iquired again about the item and was met with the same confused look and "Ahh" at which he pointed me over to the valet stand. I told him I had already called the valet and he looked at his sheet and said "they never gave the bell stand the info". Fine, I'll go to the valet again but when I get there, the valet gentlemen said "no, they don't do that". How is this commmunication? Finally I just asked for the car to be brought up and I would grab the bag. Then the valet said it had been up for 3 hours!! I was so frustrated at this point that I just didn't even bother to inquire about how this was okay service for a guest. This definitely put a cloud over our stay for a bit but luckily we were able to get past it. Had I not been there to see and reunite with old friends, I wouldn'tt have been as "whatever" about the situation.

Checkout was swift and easy. There was an error on the bill but the agent quickly adjusted it and with a smile. Depsite the hiccup, I would return but if something like happened again, I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Maybe a room that doesn't look into other guest rooms but judge how much you'll be in the ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Smithtown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We had a room with two queen size beds and they were very comfortable. The room was spacious with ample room for more then 2 people. It was clean, and everything was in working condition. The bathroom was large, shower was hot with good water pressure. They had some nice amenities as well. I thought it was strange that the coffee pot and accessories were in the bathroom!

Room Tip: High floor, less noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
new brunswick canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in a king bed room. Room is a great size with a nice view of the forest. Complementary valet service was great and actually all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Made a little money at the casino which was a change . Would not stay any longer than 2 days as the kids would have a college fund anymore. Overall great place and would definitely return.

Rockport, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our two nights on the 19th floor overlooking the muticolored lights of the MGM Grand out our window were just super! Our room was spacious and clean and our maid service was impeccable. We loved the extra closet space, the large bathroom and other amenities such as the in room refrigerator and safe. One thing that DID perplex us was the heighth of the bathroom sink and the fact that the sink was set back from the counter edge six to eight inches. My wife is a little over five feet tall, and it was actually hard for her brush her teeth using the sink. Our mattress was extra firm and while some may find that uncomfortable, we found it to our liking. On a critical note, we didn't find the hotel to be particularly user friendly. Signs pointing to things such as the pool were virtually non existent. Nor did our room contain a good accurate all inclusive map of the hotel and complex that made getting around easier. And while we can't hold the hotel responsible, we also found it a bit upsetting to have two small children in the room next to us who chose to scream and bang things during the early morning and early to mid evening hours. Not just loud.....Screaming!!! Thankfully, the rooms are so well insulated we didn't suffer nearly as much as we could have, but we still found it annoying and rude. Our room was one of those that had adjoining doors between rooms and we're sure that contributed to the noise. We deduct one point for the bathroom sink and the lack of signage, but the size and charm of the room more than offsets these minor inconveniences. Everyone on the staff was incredibly nice and helpful. At checkout, we received an apology for the discomfort we experienced due to the screaming children. They were genuinely concerned and assured us that had we called them about the issue, they would have promptly handled it. Every staff member we met was professional, kind, and considerate! We would stay here again in a heartbeat and would love to enjoy our view from this room just one more time.

Room Tip: Request a high room overlooking the MGM Grand for wonderful nighttime ambience!
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at over the President's day weekend with my husband and 10 yr old son. Got a good deal on Expedia. As for going to casino with kids, it can be a great option - especially in CT in the wintertime when it is too cold to do much outdoors. We visited the Indian Museum and Mystic Aquariaum. My son loved the arcade, indoor pool and buffet.

Hotel staff very attentive and pleasant. Hotel is upscale. Very nice. I loved seeing how many people were employed here. We met people from all over and everyone we met was great.

You should note that the indoor pool at Grand Pequot Towers are only open to children until 6pm. After that kids can use the pool at Grand Cedar pool but I had no desire to walk to another hotel carrying pool gear and walk back wet. If this does not appeal to you either I'd suggest checking in early or book more than one night . We got to the pool early the next day and had a good time. The water is perfect temp but the pool is on the small side. Liked the lounge chairs. Plenty of big towels. I did not know about the 6pm cut off time before booking and would not have booked here had I'd known that. I totally get the adults only swim time rule - its just the 6pm time is rough when check in is 4pm. Maybe they need to let kids swim till 8pm and keep pool open till 11pm for adults.

Upon checkin, I told the woman I was traveling with a 10 yr old. She put me in a room on the 19th floor. We walked in and the nonsmoking room reeked of smoke. They moved us to floor 17 which is a nonsmoking floor. If smoke bothers you, request a room on a nonsmoking floor upon check in. Actually, the entire place carries a heavy smoke smell so I'd suggest bringing a bottle of fabreeze with you. If you or your kids with asmtha problems, this is not the place for you. They need to invest in a better ventilation system on the casino floor and in the hotel rooms.

Room was nice, comfortable, clean. Liked the hallways and common spaces where you can hang out. We had a standard room with two double beds. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom is big and clean. I'm under 5'5" and the tub had a big ledge for me to step over so for small children you might want to bring one of those fold up steps. There is a mini fridge and 2 big closet spaces but no microwave. I heard people talking in the hallway both nights but it was not disruptive to us and overall it is very quiet in the room.

I asked person at checkin if there were any kids events. She didn't know. Not very helpful. There is an indoor pool till 6pm, arcade, and bowling till 7pm. Read about an ice skating rink before I came but couldn't find it and didn't see anything about it.

There was no resort map given to me upon checkin or in the room. Maybe they had them posted somewhere like they do at Mohegan but I could not find them. I had to search online and it look awhile but here it is: http://www.foxwoods.com/uploadedFiles/Pages/About_Foxwoods/resort_map.pdf

The theather district had a disneyques quality to it. Lots of walking. Bring comfortable walking shoes. Wasn't crazy about the stores - nothing appealed to any of us. The toy store was small with items geared for smaller kids. Even my son was not interested in walking into the toy store which says everything.

We went to the arcade before dinner the first night - big mistake on holiday weekend. By the time we wanted to find a place to eat the lines were long and we were tired and cranky. We waited over a half hour for a table at the Veranda Cafe and the service was slow once we did get a table. Food was okay enough and reasonably priced. They do have a kids menu here. The same exact menu exists via room service. Had I'd known this, I would have gone back to the room and ordered room service at the get go.

Bring snacks, water and drinks with you. We stopped at the convenience store gas station on the way in. Bottled water or apple juice is $3 each in the casino.

Another note if you are here with kids - the elevator. It can be overwhelming when you first arrive. We were looking for the arcade and heard it was casino level so got in an elevator and pressed casino level button and the doors opened right onto the casino floor but kids aren't allowed on casino floor. Use the elevator at the top of the escalators (veranda cafe and other resturants at bottom and dunkin donuts at top to the left of the Grand Pequot casino entrance).

Place was packed but it was a holiday weekend. Heard casino is facing stiff competition. If they were smart they would look to change a few things to attract families like adding a movie nights in an empty ballroom with popcorn or a climbing wall or bouncey. They were doing a kids things presidents week but face painting and ballons etc - these things would not appeal to 10 yr old or older kids.

They also should think about changing the kids arcade to one where you can leave children in a secured area and pay by the hour like at Mohegan. I don't regret traveling with my child at all but it would be nice to have an option of a few hours to go to dinner with my husband. My son loves loves loves staying a few hours at Mohegan arcade without us around.

Because of the arcade and the limited pool hours, the next time I book a room I'm heading back to Mohegan. However, I would not hestitate to come back and stay a night at Grand Pequot if I were going to a concert.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here with coworkers for a business retreat last week. We each had a room and worked out of a suite. My room was great, nice and cozy and able to control the heat to the tropical temperature I appreciate. Bathroom was spacious, tub was nice and deep, but didn't have time for a luxurious bath. Tv was slow to go on and then slow to go off causing me to hit the button several times and have it go on and off and on and off causing frustration. Also the door locks were strange, my door didn't shut after i walked out had to pull it shut didn't realize it until I used the bathroom realizing after that the door wasn't closed to my room. Had a mini fridge in the room which was nice to have cold mini bottles of water provided by the hotel. The suite was very nice had furnature in a living and dining room setting which was utilized during our work days. We were able to set up a projector and use the room to get all of our work done. The mini fridge also contained soda and water which was nice. Upon asking the house keepers we got extra soda which was nice. There were two bathrooms in the suite, I did get to go into the master bath and the tub was huge and a jacuzzi tub. If I come back with my husband that's the room I will make sure we stay in. The bathroom was almost the size of my deluxe room. Check in and out was very easy. Bag service and valet were very reliable to get us from the car to the room. Didn't get to visit the pool, could see it from my window, but forgot my bathing suit, looked nice though. Also didn't go to the gym, forgot my sneakers.

Room Tip: Even rooms are on the back side and have view of the woods, not the highway that seemed to face the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Somerset, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed for a first time at the Grand Pequot Tower, and let me say what a pleasure it was. From the check in area to the lobby and the elevators. It was a great escape away from all the noise of the casino. The room was very spacious, clean, and more than comfortable. Controlling the temperature of the room was easy and it actually worked! We had ordered room service, which everything came up hot and delicious. Even with a high rate, I will definitely be staying there again because you do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade fee and experience a whole different level of class.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Pequot Tower? Share your experiences!