“A great experience!!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pequot Museum, located in an ancient cedar forest minutes away from Foxwoods Resort Casino, is the largest Native American museum of its kind in the world.
3 attraction reviews
“A great experience!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had no expectations going in except to learn more and I did. The exhibits were very enriching. I got to meet some Native American artisans as well. That was really neat!!

Groton, Connecticut
“True History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I found it great would like more special events there though,I loved the glacier,history of language history ,much more ,cant wait till spring to hit the trails outside.Katherine Ann M Morningdove Vazquez

Visited December 2013
Rochester NY
5 attraction reviews
“Not as cool as I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This museum fell a bit short of my expectations...fortunately, as we were staying at the Grand Pequot, the admission was buy one/get one....Otherwise $20 pp is a bit steep. The museum is laid out rather oddly, as you enter on level three, begin the "tour" on level 2, continue down to level 1 with very little direction. We used the elevator, and started down to level 1, as in my mind, that's where everything should start, right? We got off the elevator and were met with a long white hallway with no signs directing you where you should be going, so we just wandered a bit aimlessly until we found someone who told us we needed to get back ON the elevator and go up to the 2nd level to start "so we wouldn't miss anything"....exhibits were pretty cool, and provided some education on the area and it's history, but the museum might benefit from a couple docents to help explain, answer questions, guide people through. The hand held "phones" were kind of a nice touch for wandering through the "village" diarama, but they were a persnickety and the guide at the beginning was more interested in getting people started through the exhibit, rather than fully explaining the operation of the handsets. It's not that we couldn't figure them out, but it took a bit to figure out where the emblems were, to know which code to enter into the handset for which exhibit. There were several buses of school kids there too....this facility seems to be better geared towards the school field trips, than to the casual visitor...

Davis, California
8 attraction reviews
“New England Native American History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I think this is an excellent museum about the culture of the Native Americans and the local terrain. The glacier exhibit is wonderful. Many of the stations in the museum are also interactive. A great place to take children to learn about the area and the Native American cultrue in that area. There is also a village to go through. Also, some modern history and art exhibits are displayed. I would definitely recommend it to Americans and foreign tourist. I found it to be a great learning experience, lots of information. I am from California and it was a way to learn about the first encounters between the Native Americans and the Europeans in during the early colonial period.

Chicago
“The Single Worst Customer Experience I've Ever Had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

On October 3, at the Pequot museum, I experienced the worst treatment I've ever received as a paying customer. Midway through the recommended visitors' route is an auditorium which shows a film about local 17th century warfare. The showtimes are irregular and are only posted on the door of the auditorium (not at the museum entrance or on the handout visitors are given), so visitors have no way of planning ahead to arrive at the start of a show. There is nothing to say late entrance is not allowed. I happened to reach there only a couple of minutes after the film had started. As I reached to open the door, a woman seated on the opposite side of the otherwise deserted hallway, who was dressed in ordinary clothes and not wearing any kind of badge or ID, and who was sipping a paper cup of coffee (what? yes, inside the museum -- strange) called out, "management doesn't want you to go in there." I said, "what?" She repeated, "management doesn't want you to go in there -- the film has already started." I walked over to where she was sitting and said, "The management? The same management who --" At this point, she interrupted me -- not even allowing me to get one sentence out -- and said, "You can't talk to me that way." I said, "You spoke to me first. I'm just trying to say -- " and then she again interrupted me, saying, "I'm going to go up front and get you thrown out right now! You are a loser!," and walked away, in the direction of the exit. As she left, I said, "Just leave me alone!" That is the sum total of what I said. I never threatened her verbally, physically, or in any other way. I then walked into the theater, sat down, and began quietly watching the film. Several other visitors entered the theater after I did. Someone in the audience was loudly shouting comments, such as "that's my home town!" but no one attempted to quiet or eject him. In about five minutes, a man walked up behind me and ordered me to come with him. This turned out to be a security guard. The guard did not ask me any questions. He also several times refused to answer the questions I asked him as we walked. The woman was standing in the hallway as we exited the theater, but she walked away again before I could speak to her about what was happening. The guard never attempted to learn my version of what had happened. Before he even spoke to me, he had decided that he was going to make me leave the museum. When we reached the ticket counter, I stated that I wanted to speak to the person in charge. The guard stated that he was in charge of the museum and there was no one else I could talk to. After a few minutes, a manager appeared. I told him what had happened. The guard said that two independent witnesses had separately approached him and told him that I was "abusive" to the woman. This can't be true, as the woman and I were alone in the hallway, and I was not abusive to her -- I was just minding my own business when she spoke to me and attempted to control my visit. The guard himself witnessed nothing and made no attempt to ask me what had happened. They did not give me any kind of caution or warning, but instead insisted that I leave the museum right then and there. The manager took my name and address and promised to investigate what had happened and write me a letter in response. It's been two weeks, and I have had no contact from the museum. I work with the public, and we don't treat people this way. My advice is: DON'T GO THERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED BADLY AND HAVE YOUR VACATION RUINED.