“Weak ...” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner
paris
“Weak ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were hoping for some rockin' Vietnamese food when passing thru Manchester on our travels but unfortunately it was anything but. When we arrived at 8pm on a weekday evening they were already sold out of half the appetizers on the menu and the restaurant waspractically empty ? We were there for take out and had to wait a loooong time for it !

We ordered one salad (requested twice "dressing on the side") and 2 mains. The salad arrived already dressed "because it would taste better that way". But it really didn't, it was kind of wilted soggy and sugary . We also discovered once home that the accompanying rice somehow never made it into the take-out bag, It would have been nice to have it to drown out the cloyingly sweet, sticky sauce that the tofu + veg were swimming in. This entire dish actually tasted a lot like something you might find at that "asian restaurant" that one always can find at the food court in every mall across America,

The only redeeming dish was the pseudo Pad Thai. It wasn't really great it just wanted as bad as everything else. Oh Bui restaurant I wanted to love you and recommend you to my pals but unfortunately thats not gong to happen,

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Hartford
“Excited for a new ethnic restaurant near our home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

After having had Vietnamese food at this location before it changed hands to what it is now, I wasn’t sure I was a very big fan of Vietnamese cuisine. BUI has changed my mind! I have been twice now- both times had delicious meals as did the people I went with. The owner who also waits on tables explains the dishes thoroughly with very clear enthusiasm. Everything is made there fresh by his mother-in-law. We went on a Friday night and all the tables were full from the moment we got there, until the moment we left. Another perk is the fact that BUI is BYOB. Friday night, we got two large entrees and an appetizer and the bill came to $35. I sat contently with my wine in a wine bucket on the table, and my fiancé was brought a chilled glass for his beer. They kept his beers in the fridge during our meal. Last I’ll say that the inside has been completely redone and decorated. They did a beautiful job. We will become frequents here, I’m sure.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bolton, Connecticut, United States
“Love the updates and Take out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had been apprehensive to try Bui after the restaurant had changed hands, but after a rave review from a coworker decided to give it a go. I was so pleased with my own lunch, that I decided to get "take-out" to serve for a couple friends who were coming over for a visit. It was a hands-down unanimous SCORE on all counts, by all guests. I especially love how they supply the noodles, veggies, basil and other fixins' on the side of the pho for each person to prepare it the way that best suits. It is also a great way to avoid soggy-noodle-it is when the pho comes pre-mixed with all the fixins' as I can never finish it all in one sitting. Love it and will return: )

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, Connecticut
“Great food, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I really like Bui and my wife loves this place. The food is always super fresh, flavorful and they even have specials from time to time. Honestly I follow them on Facebook so I can see any specials that they have coming up. Really wish we had found this place before. Grandma in back cooking type of restaurants are hard to find!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, CT
“Try something different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Formerly Chau's restaurant. The interior has been updated and white table cloths and cloth napkins give it a more upscale feel. Take out is available if you can't eat in. They have a good variety of dishes on the menu. We have eaten here three times and had different appetizers and main meals each time. Portions are large enough that we didn't have room for dessert but overheard another table saying theirs was so good they would come back just for the dessert. Friendly servers who will take time to explain how dishes are prepared. The restaurant is small enough that each meal is made to order and spices can be adjusted. If you want dishes milder or more spicy they are happy to accommodate by adjusting in the kitchen or providing seasonings you can add to your dish once it is served. BYOB with a small service charge ($2 per person) but they provide an ice bucket and appropriate glassware so it is worth it. Grab a nice bottle of wine and give this restaurant a try. If you like Vietnamese food you won't be disappointed.