“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Madison Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madison
Madison Beach Hotel
You added Madison Beach Hotel to your Saves list
94 West Wharf Road, Madison, CT 06443   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Madison
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was excited when this hotel was first built but discouraged by the poor reviews i had heard from friends. So without bias I had to give it a try myself. It's a shame the location of the hotel doesn't speak for the quality of the service. Especially the price you pay you're better off eating at a red lobster. Not only is the food quality way over priced, the management of this establishment is highly unprofessional. At any high class place, like we assumed this was, management reprimands their staff in private. It is completely unprofessional to curse at the wedding servers in front of guests as we witnessed their blonde female manager or planner do. It's understandable that weddings are a very important piece to this hotels revenue, and things may get hectic at times but things are supposed to run flawless and guests are to be unaware of problems. Also even though these weddings are so important it doesn't mean you put the normal guests on the back burner. Not only did we have a problem with this but the bartenders refused to serve clams because they had not done their daily count yet. (That's what you tell your guests; you're chefs are too lazy to count their seafood for the day so they can't serve you?) At least lie to your guests and say you're out of the food. They weren't even that busy at this point in the evening. And furthermore the glassware provided at the bar is not fully cleaned, my first wine glass had lipstick on it. That only makes me wonder about the rest of the stuff. It's a shame to have such an unprofessional establishment branded with the reputation of Madison.

• Stayed July 2013
John M, General Manager at Madison Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Mkatzz-
I'm very alarmed by your comments and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you and get more details. Certainly, we do not condone any of the behaviors you mention, and I would like to address such issues at once. Please feel free to contact me directly.
John Mathers
john.mathers@madisonbeachhotel.com
203-361-9355

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
North Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our son and now, "daughter" got married on the evening of August 09th, 2013 at the BEAUTIFUL Madison Beach Hotel on the sand of their private beach, following a very elegant reception with delicious hors d'oeuvres, main course meal and wedding cake.
The Wedding Planner & Coordinator, Libby and ALL members of the Staff that help the event to be WONDERFUL and FLAWLESS, were just the BEST that anyone can have in any event that you will be planning for the near future.
My husband and I stayed at the Hotel for two nights following the wedding, a gift from our newlywed "kids".... It was GREAT!!!! Very relaxing, VERY CLEAN, friendly staff and the Restaurant "The Wharf" is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner... and the food was just DELICIOUS!!!!
THANK YOU for the WONDERFUL time and WE WILL BE BACK very soon :):):)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

After days of research for an in-state spa retreat for myself I settled on the Madison Beach Hotel. Saying "settled" in regards to this hotel is like saying you have "settled" on Diamond Treasure. Impeccable, Accommodating, Friendly, Welcoming... the service here is second to none.

Everything about this place is EXCELLENT.

The beach is fabulous, the grounds and hotel immaculate in upkeep. You will not find any flaws. My biggest pet peeves about hotels are "wear and tear" that is evident in the room or general environment, the bathroom decor, amenities and above all else is CLEANLINESS.

This resort is amazing in upkeep. EVERY single staff member is exceptionally warm, friendly, and accessible. You feel like you are making a new friend when you talk to them. The store merchandise is interesting in variety and the spa is fabulous. While it is on the pricier end, it is well worth it. You have a generous changing room with a shower, they even provide shoes! The products for bath are all high quality.

The photos on the website are accurate and modest because the beauty of this location is endless. Rather than write a very long detailed essay I will say that if you can't stay overnight you are really missing a treat, but even if you just dine or enjoy the beach a gift of peace will be there. The clientele is respectful and surprisingly a mix of local residents you will not be encumbered and certainly you will NOT be disappointed.

I enjoyed the 90 minute sports massage. I mentioned my pet peeve about the bathrooms of hotels but when the therapist offered that I use the shower in the changing room I immediately thought NOT likely. It was so clean and well designed that I DID actually enjoy the shower after my massage. After the massage you will be completely disconnected with reality so they offer you water and time to sit in a very nice reading area. They do not rush you in and out the pace is your own timing. I don't think I mentioned that you also get a robe to wear. After your shower you can use a comb they provide and Q-tips. I was impressed with the technology on the locker. As in a well cared for wooden locker.

The restaurant food is a big high on the calorie end if you are not a conscious eater. There are so many delicious choices. If you are particularly conscious of your food as I am they will accommodate you without any reservation even in portion size. An example would be that instead of having the tarragon chicken salad on a toasted croissant which for me would have been an overwhelming portion I was allowed to have a small portion on one slice of whole grain toast. I tried the lobster roll on the lunch menu and it's a small portion. I did not eat the roll but the amount of actual lobster without any crab filler was generous. It was JUST lobster on a roll. They offer movies on the beach that the whole family can watch at no extra charge. Also there is beach service if you prefer to eat or have a drink while lounging on beach chairs that they provide under the shade of umbrellas and looking out at the beach or ocean.

The room I had overlooked the sound and it was amazing to stand out on the balcony and hear the sound of sea gulls and waves ebbing and flowing. The turndown service leaves smores by the bedside. It just gives me chills remembering the comfort of my room It had an artificial fireplace which I learned had a remote controlled heater you could turn on. That is the fun part. The fact that the room is so clean and in like new condition makes it feel you are the first occupant. As soon as I saw the bathroom I was eager to take BOTH a shower AND a BATH. The shower is separate and the tube is large. It is beautiful and clean in there....

You will not want to leave and you will be eager to go back!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I am a happy veteran of the former, more rustic Madison Beach Hotel. My many stays there over the years always provided a tranquil chance to relax and unwind. The fully renovated Madison Beach Hotel still provides that--no change! It is far more upscale than it used to be with prices to match. The comfort level is quite a bit higher as a result and the personal service is great. We did feel, though, that for the prices we paid there were a few missing amenities. The beach is lovely and the lounge chairs are comfortable but if you want to use any of the equipment, i.e. kayaks, paddleboards, or bikes, there was a fairly steep hourly charge. At nearly $400/night for the room, that extra fee felt like they were "nickle and diming us". Also, the nightly turn-down service included a bottle of water -- I hate to sound picky, but shouldn't those be readily available all day along with, perhaps, coffee and tea in the lobby? I will say, though, that when my husband went down to get an iced coffee at the bar in the mid-afternoon, the bartender comp'd him unsolicited, which was very nice and seemed appropriate to us. So why not just have some version of that available for all to enjoy? Speaking of the bar, they pour very good and generous drinks, and we had three meals at the restaurant and enjoyed every bite! The food was fresh, inventive, and delicious. Yes, I would go again, when my budget allows, to enjoy the peace and quiet that this beautiful area offers. I hope they have found a way to make the value somewhat more genuine -- a little bit would go a long way.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

On a whim, we decided to book one night here on a weeknight for the kids to get a little beach time. Unfortunately it rained the entire time, leaving us lots of time to explore this gem of a hotel.
The room-
I am VERY picky about the cleanliness of a hotel room and it was impeccable upon arrival. I removed all seat cushions etc. and there was not a speck out of place to be seen. The room is obviously completely updated and well appointed with a safe, fridge, coffee maker, wireless phone, ipod docking station and ports to charge all our devices. Beds were very comfortable and extra pillows were in the room. Beautiful detailing from the self closing cabinet doors to the automatic lights in the closet. Very nice full lengths mirrors also. The one small and only complaint was the lack of water glasses in the bathroom which I found inconvenient, but a minor problem. Sliding plantation shutters instead of a slider curtain was a fantastic streamlined idea. The balcony was clean and well maintained. The chairs were all weather wicker and sturdy. Our only complaint about the balcony was that in the rain, the balcony roof was leaking on the entire 3rd floor, making it impossible to sit outside in the rain, which we should have been able to do. They defiantly have some sort of leaking issue they need to address on that floors overhang.
Hotel ammeninites
One thing this hotel is sorely lacking is a swimming pool. Yes, it is on the ocean, but especially in inclement weather, we had little to do but sit in our room. (especially since we couldn't go on the balcony due to the leaking roof!) And not everyone enjoys swimming in the murkiness of Long Island Sound waters. An indoor swimming pool would have made this an exceptional experience, despite the weather. It also does not have ice makers for guests. A water or soda vending machine (even in a room off the lobby somewhere if necessary) would have been appreciated as my children have medical conditions that sometimes require the need for a quick unexpected snack.
An outside snack area, or menus available for ordering light fare would make the guest experience even better.
We did not use the spa or fitness rooms, so I cannot comment on these.
We did enjoy the live band that was playing on the night we went even though they could not hold the event outdoors as planned, staff made the best of it.

Restaurant
We decided on breakfast at the "wharf" restaurant since it seemed not so "kid friendly" for dinner. The restaurant was the only area of this hotel that was somewhat mediocre. Beautiful views, impeccable decor and cleanliness. But, it was overpriced, our eggs and potatoes were somewhat overcooked, and the wait staff was not entirely knowledgeable or enthusiastic about the items on the menu. The lacking option of even a few children's items was also a definite miss.
I think we would perhaps dine off premises for breakfast next time. Judging by the empty restaurant, others perhaps have the same view.

The staff.
From the bell hops to the front desk, the staff was fantastic, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay fantastic. They opened doors, responded quickly to needs and provided 5 star service. They strove to serve us no matter where we were. On the beach, waitstaff provided towels and asked to take beverage or food orders. The valet attendants were exceptionally helpful, courteous and respectful. Other than the restaurant service being so so, we had a wonderful experience with the staff.

Overall
We would definitely return! I did feel the rate of $375 ($431.25) with taxes was high but not exorbitant, given the exceptional level of service provided. (I have paid more elsewhere and received far less in terms of room and service). I do not think that the hotel is worth the higher rates that they command on the weekend, mainly due to the lack of a pool and food options. Only if it had a pool, might I consider the higher Fri-Sun rate.
The hotel itself is beautiful and not a detail has been overlooked, We appreciated the detailing from the exceptional woodworking to the exquisite door knockers, and it is obvious that a great deal of time, effort and money has been put into this hotels renovation. I hope that it continues to be well maintained and staff continues to provide the level of service they provided us this week. I look forward to a return trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the hotel. Check in was fine - it was a little busy in the lobby and there was a Sunday brunch set up in the lobby which was a little awkward. Our room wasn't ready so we had a drink on the deck overlooking the ocean - it was beautiful. There was a wedding going on, so that was fun to watch. Once our room was ready we went up. Room 405 - top floor, right outside the elevator. The room was immaculate and the balcony view was gorgeous. The bellman showed us around the room and how to work everything. Everyone we had encountered thus far made sure they told us they were available "24/7" for anything we might need. Before dinner we had time to go sit out on the rocks by the ocean. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and were able to eat outside because the weather was so pleasant that night. I'm glad we did. The inside of the restaurant looked fine, but it was definitely a treat to eat outside. Our waitress was wonderful, the food was delicious - no complaints!
In the morning we had time to sit on our balcony and relax. Unfortunately there was some construction going on down by the parking lot and it was very loud. We had breakfast outside again - and again it was great. Before we left we took a nice walk down by the homes on the water and had some more time to sit on the rocks and watch the ocean. all in all - it was a perfect getaway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Several years ago, the old Madison Beach Hotel was taken over by new owners and it was then—in a 3-year renovation—rebuilt from the ground up. The new MBH opened in 2012. We'd heard of its dog-friendly attitude so booked a July week and arrived with our two standard poodles in tow. This gem of a hotel surprised—even wowed—us. The dogs were welcomed warmly and our room was thoughtfully pre-equipped with separate dog bowls and two comfy dog beds. The room was sunny, breezy, high ceilinged, king-bedded, and our large terrace overlooked the beach just a stone’s throw away. Normally, when staying at a hotel we’ll dine once in its dining room—find it lacking—then head to town for our remaining meals. Not at MBH. With well-behaved dogs allowed to join guests at tableside on the outside deck, we stayed put. During our week we enjoyed 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, and 7 dinners at the hotel. (Probably sets some sort of record for dog owners?) The general manager, John Mathers, along with each member of the staff is: A) warm & friendly, B) alertly helpful, and C) devoted to going out of their way to make your stay memorable. We found it remarkable to encounter such genuine pleasantness in a newly recruited staff. (Perhaps Mr. Mathers will write a book explaining his HR secrets.)
Madison Beach Hotel—a precocious one-year-old—has managed to join the rarified world of iconic luxury hotels. We loved it. Our dogs loved it. And we will return.
John Emmerling
NYC

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Madison Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!