“A Beautiful DISASTER” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Madison Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madison
Madison Beach Hotel
You added Madison Beach Hotel to your Saves list
94 West Wharf Road, Madison, CT 06443   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Madison
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“A Beautiful DISASTER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We just spent New Years Eve at the Madison Beach Hotel. I will start out with THE positive. The place is gorgeous, and it is clear that no expense was spared.
Unfortunately, unless you are just going there to look at it, I would recommend passing. The staff is clueless, the food is lack luster, and the service was so comical that we laughed all the way home this morning. When we checked in, we parked our own car as there was no signage for valet, nor was there a valet attendant outside (or anywhere else for that matter). The couple that was staying there with us had to wait 2 hours for the room ready, and it was already 5pm. We spent the time waiting in the restaurant bar, where it took them 20 minutes to tell me they "couldn't find" the wine I had ordered a glass of. As it was a long wait until cocktail hour (8:00 - really?) we had a light snack there. The first item I ordered came out battered - which it did not state on the menu (and I can't eat because of a gluten allergy - FYI - they batter the fries) so I ordered a second item, making sure they were aware of the issue. 30 minutes later - I got my burger (just meat on a plate) and it was raw. So...back it went again. I did eventually get it - and a free glass of wine from the mortified bartender, but it was ridiculous. I needed to ask for everything. A fork, a napkin, a glass of water, a new fork when the took the first item away, a new napkin... you get the idea.
Because of my food allergy I had made 3 calls to the facility since our reservation a month before, and NO ONE ever called back (the final call was the morning of New Years Eve)...so I went there not even knowing what (if anything) I would be able to eat. Finally, at 8:00pm, my friend to the very small and limited New Years menu into the kitchen and grilled the chef - since no one on the staff seemed to be able to handle it. The food was bland, the service was slow, and we were actually asked to move from our table by a stuffy french man with a clipboard IN CASE a party of six showed up. (We were a party of 4 - and all the tables were set for 6 or 8 people... I still don't get that request) By the way - no party of six ever did.
Insult to injury was this morning. Our friends had gone to the restaurant and given a glass of orange juice to take back to the room. When we requested one - we were handed a bill. There are no two people at this place that will ever give you the same answer. We then found out if we wanted coffee we would need to make it ourselves in our room. Try getting the supplies to do that! On our way out - we heard two other guests trying to navigate the ordeal that is getting a morning cup of coffee.
It is sad that the facility is so poorly run. It IS beautiful, and has the bones to be five star. I am by no means a prema-dona, but I would never recommend this as a restaurant, bar, or hotel. Not to anyone I like anyway!
My final statement is this...we have stayed in MANY hotels, The Plaza in NYC, The Old Saybrook Point Inn, The Waters Edge, The Venetian in Las Vegas, and many more. I have never once written a review. I hope someone finds this helpful....

Room Tip: Make sure you bring a sleep mask - the rooms are VERY bright in the morning
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Madison Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear jeeneegee,
I am quite disappointed to read of your experience with us over New Year's Eve. As you can see from our other TripAdvisor reviews, we take great pride in our level of service. Our goal is to provide 5-star level service to every guest. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to properly address your concerns. Please contact me via email and let me know the best way to reach out to you.
Best Regards,
John Mathers, General Manager
john.mathers@madisonbeachhotel.com
203-361-9355

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

From our first contact with the valet attendant to our parting conversation with John Mathers, the general manager of the Madison Beach Hotel, we experienced a perfect example of the superior level of hotel hospitality, service, dining, comfort and atmosphere this excellent staff strives to provide for each of its guests. Each guest room in this recently remodeled property is beautifully appointed, very comfortable and offers a private balcony with expansive waterviews. We enjoyed a wonderfully restorative massage at Madison's spa and delicious meals with impeccable service at their waterfront restaurant. However, the most memorable part of our experience was the level of professionalism combined with the friendly, courteous service which I will describe as "nonintrusive anticipatory". It was obvious that the desire of each staff member was to make our stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. This level of genuine caring and gracious personal service is something we will never forget. Can't wait to return!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I landed at the Madison Beach Hotel recently after Hurricane Sandy left us without power in NY. We were so happy to get there. We were greeted by Maggie she was so sweet and helped us to quickly get settled into our room. The resort is beautiful and the rooms are lovely. The views from the rooms are fabulous. But the really wonderful thing about this resort is the outstanding staff. Everyone there is so friendly and goes out of their way to make sure your stay is special. I have been to a lot of very nice hotels, but I have never been to one with such a great staff, from the front desk, to the bell boys, the management, the restuarant staff and the house keeping. Just outstanding. I can't say enough. Go and enjoy a fabulous visit, you will definitely want to return. The resort is beautiful the staff is even more beautiful!! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We landed at the Madison Beach Hotel on a recommendation from a waiter at the Dock and Dine in Old Saybrook, CT. The hotel and Spa reopened in May after a complete renovation. The rooms are spacious and beautiful, most have balconies. There are dog friendly rooms. The restaurant has a wonderful full menu and an very nice upscale bar menu. Sunday brunch was one of the best I have been to in years. The raw bar, carving stations, hot stations were all delicious. The spa services were excellent. We had two massages and a facial. The staff through out the hotel was top notch and friendly. There was a small wedding going on and the staff was so attentive to those at the hotel that were not at the wedding, that you hardly knew there was another event taking place there. I wouild highly recommend it to family, couples, etc. Just keep it a secret! LOL

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just back from an overnight stay at the Madison beach hotel. It was a wonderful experience. The location is fantastic. The rooms with superb ocean views were equal to any suite at a ritz carlton or four seasons resort. At every turn the staff were accommodating and welcoming.
The only drawback is the food. On Sundays they only offer brunch which begins at 10am and costs $38 per guest. Luckily there are a lot breakfast alternatives in the town of Madison.
All in all I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Plymouth Meeting
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel was pleasant establishment in a lovely location. The staff was extremely polite and solicitous. The 4th floor room, with a comfortable king sized bed, had a great view. The room was fine except for a couple of things. There is no bathroom privacy due to the fact that one wall has louvered windows which open into the room. Both light and sounds pass through unabated. Forget about turning the light in the bathroom on in the middle of the night...the room is instantly illuminated. The sound of a flushing toilet is equally unbridled. The "fake fire" in the fireplace is tacky. The restaurant food is fair however the price for what is served is unfair.

Room Tip: All room offer similar views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

EVERYTHING WE WANTED AND MORE! My partner and I longed for a romantic weekend escape from NYC and got more than we expected with the Madison Beach Hotel. This stunningly renovated accommodation went from sleepy inn to gorgeously appointed hotel with everything guests could want. The rooms are luscious, with regal linens and toasty fireplaces, deep bathtubs and stone showers from which we could even view the sea. Our room had a lovely sea-facing deck from which we delighted in wine and cheese one evening, and coffee the next morning. It was hard to ever leave the delight of our room. But there was the beach, the restaurant, the inviting deck below.

Just outside the lobby was a terrific deck bar where we enjoyed the breathtaking sunset over the sound with some cocktails and fresh oysters. Indoors every evening, we savored romantic fireside dinners once the sun set. The staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful, even driving us to the next town during a hurricane in order to catch a train. They are a terrific group who truly understand the word hospitality. Everything was perfect and we cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from one of the function rooms, since they will have groups or weddings also enjo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Madison Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!