“Quiet New England inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Litchfield Inn

Save Saved
You added Litchfield Inn to your Saves list
Litchfield Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   432 Bantam Road Rt 202, P. O. Box 798, Litchfield, CT 06759   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Litchfield B&B and Inns
Daytona Beach, FL
“Quiet New England inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were much enjoyed our stay in this country inn, a most pleasant change from our usual dog-friendly chain motels. Unfortunately, because we had our dog with us, we made little use of the facilities beyond the room which was nicely appointed with two TVs and a comfortable bed. I did note that although we didn't purchase any of the mini-bar drinks and snacks, they weren't as overpriced as in many hotels. (And there is room in the mini-bar for any of your own items you want to chill.) A nice receptionist. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandy A, General Manager at Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your feedback. My team is delighted that our enhancements are being noticed & appreciated. Customer satisfaction & their compliments make it worth our efforts and it is a feeling of accomplishment. We, at the Inn, will be in a continuous process of upgrading our amenities & services & will always have the craving to satisfy each & every guest. We look forward to have you with us again.

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I booked a king room at the inn on a recent Friday night for a brief getaway. We stayed on July 5th, and payed $239 plus taxes. That was a premium rate given that is was part of the 4th of July weekend. The inn's website proclaims that the inn is where "Exquisite Luxury meets Rustic Charm." There are some good things to day about the inn, but too many things were neither exquisite nor charming. Among the inn's positive points is its location just a few miles from the center of Litchfield. The inn is set well back from the road and is quiet. The staff was unvaryingly pleasant, and there were some nice small touches. There were welcoming pastries in the lobby when we checked in and cookies awaited in our room. The room itself was basically quite good. It seems to have been recently redone, was spacious, well-furnished (including a love seat), and had a coffee maker and microwave. The comfortable bed had a bolster and several large throw pillows in addition to the "sleeping " pillows, all of which made it easy to prop up in bed to watch TV or read. The room was also very clean. We had reservations at the bistro dining room, but we went a little early to the lounge for the happy hour. The drinks were very inexpensive and there was a nice array of appetizers for $5 each. We ordered four of these, and had they were generous enough in size so that they filled us up. We cancelled our dinner reservation and even had some left overs for a late night snack.
Alas, offsetting the pluses, there were lots of minuses, some large, others smaller. One big issue was he air conditioning. It was not working at all in the public areas. It was a 90 degree day, and the bar was insufferably warm. The A/C in our room worked, but just barely, Even with it cranked all the way up and put on max cool, the best it could do was blow tepid air, leaving the room a bit uncomfortable. Another problem was that the TV did not work. It was very "snowy." We tried reattaching all the wires in the back and got a good picture for a brief moment, but it lapsed back to blizzard conditions, and we could not restore it. We didn't discover this until about 11 at night, at which point we were not interested in switching rooms or in getting a repair person in, even in the unlikely possibility one was on call at that late time.
We were also dismayed by the included breakfast buffet. We arrived at 9, an hour before in ended, yet several items were totally depleted. For example, there was no butter and no orange juice. We got the last silverware and coffee cups, and after I took a piece of sausage and a piece of bacon, there was only one of each left. The scrambled eggs were also almost gone and were cold and dry. My wife and I ate on the patio and could see inside, and for 20 minutes, no staff member checked the food service. During that time, several other guest arrived for breakfast, looked around, and just left. Finally a server did come in, but she did not return with anything. When we left about 5 minutes later, she was puttering around in the lounge area. We reported the problem to front desk as we were returing to room about 9.30 and heard another couple also registering their complaint. A bit later when we checked out, the desk clerk said that the server had said that it took time to get new eggs, bacon, and sausage cooked, but that truism did not cover why the buffet had been allowed to get into such disrepair in the first place, or why juice, butter, and some other missing and readily available things were not immediately replaced after the server had finally checked on things.
In addition to this big problems, there was many smaller ones. The inn looks charming from the head of the driveway, but up close the grass had not been cut in two weeks or so, and the outside was notably dirty. It needs a good power washing. Many of the windows in the hallways were also dirty on the outside, and the spider webs attested to the fact that he windows had not been cleaned in a long time. There was also a fair amount of trash on the lawn below our window. Generally the upkeep on the inside, apart from the A/C was excellent; the upkeep on the outside was shabby. Finding our room also proved a bit of a challenge. We had room 210 and got on the elevator an pushed #2. There we discover the rooms were numbered in the 300s. There was no sign indicating which rooms were where, and there is no 3rd floor. When we went back to the lobby, the clerk said that to get to the 200s, we had to back to the second flow, go left past the 300 number rooms, and down the hall of the extension to the rear. Worth noting is that the shower had no hand grips, and since it was a tub shower than meant being on one foot briefly in a wet and slippery tub when getting in and out. Somebody will eventually fall and get hurt, and their lawyer will have a field day with the following suit. We chose the inn in part based of the generally good reviews it has received, and maybe we just hit a perfect storm bad day. But in the end we were disappointed and will not return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
On behalf of " The Litchfield Inn " I thank you for your feedback. I would also like to take this opportunity to extend my apologies for the discomfort & have taken a note of all the issues which needs to be addressed. Despite of being in the high season, some of the technical repairs & breakdowns are being taken care of. The lack of professional & courteous services on behalf of my staff, surely doesn't have an excuse or argument but this approach is unacceptable at the Inn & has been taken up quite seriously with the concerned team member. I feel sorry for not being able to come up to your expectations but assure you of best of our services in future.
Lighthouse Point, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

When my usual hotel was unavailable, I stayed for one night at the Litchfield Inn. I arrived earlier then the usual check-in thinking that I would leave my bag and return when a room was ready. Instead the receptionist was able to immediately put me in a lovely room. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. My room had 2 queen beds with lots of pillows and the bathroom had wonderful towels & a relaxing shower with plenty of hot water. Most importantly it had fantastic air conditioning on a hot Connecticut day. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is easy to find and easy to get to other places. There are plenty of restaurants and a grocery store nearby. It is definitely on my return to list! Thank you Litchfield Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sandy A, General Manager at Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi! Ms. Clark,

It was a pleasure having you at the Inn and we look forward for many more visits. Your humble gesture of sharing your experience is undoubtedly encouraging for my team & each day progresses towards making our services better. Thanks Once again from " 'The Litchfield Inn ".
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding ceremony and reception last month, and it was perfect!! The food was outstanding, the chef took his own creative spin on a couple of our dishes, which came out great!!! The staff was attentive and accommodating, and we could not have been more impressed! Great job done by all!! Definitely going back for all of our anniversaries.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feedback and we are glad to read that you enjoyed your special moments as much as we enjoyed working out the event for you. My Team is quite thrilled to read your response and it will be one of the memorable weddings at the Inn. We look forward to associate with you soon.
Thanks
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed in Litchfield to attend area graduation first weekend in June. Called hotel directly for reservation and was delighted to talk to friendly, helpful staff member. Hotel's location was great. Stayed in Room 106 which was recently renovated. 2 Queen beds - linens and towels crisp and fresh. Every member of the staff we encountered was friendly and accommodating. Continental breakfast was great - lots to choose - from bacon and eggs to assortment of muffins and yogurts. They even provided "to go" cups for coffee. We usually stay at the Marriott in Waterbury when we are in this area - but will come back to the Litchfield Inn again in the future and will highly recommend to family and friends who also visit the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thanks for writing your feedback.It feels honored & accomplished to be appreciated & to know that our guests were comfortable. It is indeed encouraging for us and we look forward to serve you better reach time. Thanks Once again from The Litchfield Inn.
Torrington, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Mother's Day brunch experience the worst ever!!
My family and I were very much looking forward to sharing the holiday at Banton Bistro with our grandmother. We drove in from Westchester county in New York to pick her up in Torri ngton and were running late for our reservation, however we did call while we were on the road. When we arrived I overheard the lovely lady at the hostess stand on the phone taking a reservation for a party coming in a half hour after we had arrived, so I didn't feel we had stressed the reservation standings too much if reservations were still being accepted. She suggested that we be seated closer to the food station so that my grandmother who is 95 and uses a cane didn't have far to walk, but we would have to wait just a little bit. We thought that was extremely thoughtful, and we didn't mind waiting as we had run just a bit late ourselves. Well, that wait turned out to be almost an hour. We were a party of four. There were two other parties of four that came in after us that were seated before us. After I checked with the hostess yet again, I mentioned that the second party who came in long after we had, I felt had been taken to our table and that was not right. I know it was not her fault, nonetheless the wait had been far too lo! ng. I th ink we were just lost in the shuffle. After being seated our server came to see if we wanted cocktails. We declined anything from the bar. That was the last we saw from her until she came back to ask me if I was"interested in seeing a copy of my check?". I was stunned. My husband had just settled in with his pancakes, granted he had eaten other food, but he was probably at his second or third bite, there were piles of dirty plates on the table, NONE of which she or anyone had cleared, she had not asked us how anything had been, and there she was asking if "I was interested in seeing a copy of my check". No one had ever put it that way before which is why I can remember it so. All I could answer her was sure. I made a point to look around to see if there was a shortage of tables because it was apparent to me we were being ushered out. There were plenty of tables. I also made a point of looking at another table where our server Sarah C. was serving. They had no dirty plates at their table. They were also drinking wine and cocktails. Is this the reason they were getting any attention? We chose Banton Bistro for the menu. My grandmother had ONE egg benedict. She couldn't even eat the english muffin because she couldn't cut it was so dry. She ate only the top part, and a little bit of salad and drank some decaf coffee. My husband had the same experience with his three eggs benedict. Back to the check. As Sarah C. was confirming the total count to charge, she asked if we were three adults and one senior, I had to point out that we were two adults, one child, and one senior. I had my 9 year old daughter with us. Sarah clearly was not paying much attention to us, or she would have seen that my child is a child, and not an adult. If I would have been given the opportunity to add my own gratuity, I would NOT have left the 18, or 20% gratuity automatically added to our bill because it was not deserved. I went out to have a nice time with my family, to celebrate my grandmother, and to celebrate myself to some extend. I have never written a letter to any establishm ent, but after having spent $156.00 for this experience I feel short changed and then some. Honestly I think I would have been happier at a Denny's. At least then I know it would have met my expectations. Banton Bistro did not. It was such a disappointment on so many levels. Sadly I Will Never come back!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sandy A, General Manager at Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hi! Ms. Karren,
It feels really bad to read about your experience at our Bistro. I personally extend my apologies for the discomfort you & your family had in-spite of all the efforts that were being made to comfort our guests. I appreciate your being frank on your feedback and that it should have never happened. Since we were having a decent number of crowd coming in that day, the tables were reserved for the guest in a timely manner and we did have room for such special requests as you had one to be around the buffet, but unfortunately we missed out on implementing the same for you. Sarah happens to be one of our best team members but she lacked to give the attention as suppose to be. I feel sorry for not being able to keep up on your expectations. Please give us an opportunity to serve you better & make your next visit memorable.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Nice little hotel with great staff. The restaurant and bar are very good with a great happy hour menu. Location is great for those who need to stay close to town or taking in the sites or wine tour. Other reviews mention rooms being dated. They are renovating and all you have to do us ask for the newer wing. Otherwise you end up in one if the "themed rooms" which are not bad, but could use an update. Their prices are going up as the updates complete (oh well). Hotel does not have a gym or gym access but you are close to trails and parks. They now do a nice little continental breakfast in the AM. Only downside is they cater to a lot of weddings so book up over spring / fall weekends quick. If you do get in when there is a wedding you may have to deal with some noisy neighbors. Overall a very nice hotel in a nice location. Give the restaurant a try - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2013
Hi! Thanks for your precious feedback. We are working on a few issues that you have addressed and while we ensure that our guests have a pleasant stay the process of upgrading some of our old rooms is in the pipeline. I apologize for any inconvenience because of the events in our Banquets. For sure that evening was a little more noisy as one of our Group wanted to have pictures taken in the Lobby & Library and take back some good memories.I once again appreciate your patience and thank you for your response. We look forward to have you with us again.

Been to Litchfield Inn? Share your experiences!