“Calm and Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Cornwall, New York
“Calm and Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary at the Lonesome dove. Leo and Ruth are gracious hosts. Our room was warm and inviting. We would gladly return again. We sat out on our balcony and just enjoyed the quiet, and sounds of nature. The grounds are amazing..Recommended for a quiet romantic getaway....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

These are the friendliest B and B owners I've ever come across! We were going to a concert at Mohegan Sun and needed a place to stay over. The reviews for this place were great, and I concur! King bed was super comfortable. Complimentary beer, wine and snack in addition to breakfast. Charming house and property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank catsamiNewYork
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were referred here by another bed-and-breakfast that was full. We will definitely be back! Meticulously clean and peaceful. Much attention to detail. Food was room is romantic. I think this is the best bed-and-breakfast I've ever been to. Rick and Janette

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hays, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

My wife, son and I stayed three nights/two days at Lonesome Dove B&B during our visit to the US Coast Guard Academy. We had a wonderful experience; for the cost of a moderately-priced motel, we experienced so much more: heartfelt hospitality; exquisite baking and cooking; clean, quiet, cozy rooms; peaceful, bucolic surroundings. All within about twenty minutes of New London and the Academy, with Mystic Seaport and other attractions not much farther away.

Arriving late in the night, we were greeted with warm brownies and chilled wine...

Ruth rendered our breakfasts with five-star flair, as we were treated to wonderful renditions of French toast, blueberry pancakes and quiche with such trimmings as locally grown fruit and maple syrup! She had my coffee waiting every morning, along with my wife's tea and son's juice. There was always more than we could eat. Ruth must be prescient, too; the morning she served her wonderful quiche, our 17-yr.-old (who believes "real men don't eat quiche") was breakfasting with the cadets. Such is her remarkable ability to accommodate guests!

As for Leo, he is a raconteur extraordinaire! Veteran submariner whose cold war exploits found him hot on the trail of the Soviet Navy, his tales of derring-do make Tom Clancy novels dull by comparison!

And the MacDonald household is equipped with a set of remarkable felines, in three sizes: small (and aloof), medium (and gregarious), ENORMOUS (and sure contender for world heavy-weight title). My wife (who is not, by the way, a "cat person") found them perfectly charming and entertaining, as did my son and I.

A glance around the MacDonald property proves Ruth is an accomplished-- indeed, certificated-- Master Gardener! The MacDonald's tastefully-furnished home is surrounded by lush arrays of flowers, shrubs and trees. Birders ourselves, we enjoyed watching the feeders every morning and evening as Ruth pointed out members of the local species for us.

The morning of our departure, Leo and Ruth checked our map, making sure we had proper directions back to the airport. Take it from me: Connecticut's Lonesome Dove B&B is a treat not to be missed! I only hope our son is appointed to the Academy; it would provide an excuse to visit the MacDonalds again!

JFB
Hays, KS

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I reserved a room as a gift to a friend, and when I went to pick up the gift certificate and key, I saw this is really a lovely place to stay. The owner, Ruth, was so kind and helpful, and the house and gardens are very secluded, peaceful and well-maintained. I peeked in the room, which was beautfully decorated and spotlessly clean. I can't wait to come back and actually spend the night as a gift to myself!

• Liked — The beautiful gardens
  • Disliked — Everything is great; there's nothing to dislike!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EmilyK2008
JackAndElaine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed one night at this B&B and we must say that the innkeeper, Ruth was a wonderful host. She greeted us, along with her adorable granddaughter who was visiting and one of their cats. The setting is off the road and in a mini bird sanctuary. The great room available to the guests is filled with many interesting things to see and drink or eat. The inn was spotless and very tastefully decorated. What I loved the most was the delicious breakfast we were served and that all of the guests ate together in her formal dining room. We thoroughly enjoyed sharing our breakfast with the folks who stayed at the inn. At the end of the breakfast, Ruth's husband, Leo came an and talked with us. We felt very special as guests at this inn.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Breakfast with the other guests
  • Disliked — Bathroom mirror was in a deep recessed area of bathrooom.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Abingdon, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Lonesome Dove for two nights while in CT for a weekend getaway. Ruth- the owner runs an impeccable B&B and her love of what she does shows throughout. She opens her home to guests and provides them with a nurturing and warm spirit, laced with New England hospitality. She has 3 cats, and although we are NOT cat people, the cats were never a bother. The breakfasts were wonderful and a fully stocked guest refrigerator welcomes you after a day of seeing the sights in nearby Mystic, Norwichtown and beyond. Sunday Brunch- family style is not to be missed. The B&B only has 3 rooms which allows Ruth to provide her personal touch with all of the guests. The Master Suite has a jacuzzi tub with private balcony.

• Liked — Great value for the price paid
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
The Norwich Hotel
Holiday Inn Norwich
#2 of 5 in Norwich
3.5 of 5 stars 251 reviews
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville

Been to Lonesome Dove Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!