“Great Room, Not So Great Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

515 Pumpkin Hill Rd, Ledyard, CT 06339   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Ledyard B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Jersey
“Great Room, Not So Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I struggled a bit between giving this B&B three or four stars, but finally settled on four when considering the inn overall. My husband and I stayed at the Stonecroft for a romantic, weekend getaway.

I'll start with the room - we stayed in the Schubel Suite, which was very nice. The room has a very comfortable king-size bed, but make sure to look for the pillows in the armoire when going to sleep because the "display" pillows already on the bed may be uncomfortable for you (that's what we found). The suite is large, with a sitting area that includes a soft loveseat and fireplace. It's the perfect place to relax with a bottle of wine. The bathroom is enourmous. We could have played tennis in the bathroom - complete with spectators. It has a two-person, whirlpool bathtub and large, open shower area. The shutters next to the whirlpool open for a view of the fireplace - always a nice touch. So, overall, we loved the room; however, my husband was not happy with some of the large cobwebs found throughout the room's ceiling.

We ate dinner at the on-site restaurant our first night. The place was practically empty and we quickly discovered why. We were not impressed with any aspect of the meal, from the appetizers to dessert. I won't go into too many details, but our Cesar salad lettuce was old iceburg lettuce and my huband said his prime rib was probably the worst he's ever had. Our waiter was very nice, but was a bit forgetful. However, I must say, breakfast, which was served in the same restaurant was good. Our first breakfast was made to order and was what you'd expect from a B&B - creative, tasty food (eggs with herbs, roast beef hash, etc.). Our second morning, the breakfast was served buffet-style, and it was simply good - not amazing.

Overall, the grounds were pretty and the people were friendly. There's also a nice sitting area outside of the restaurant with a firepit, which I'm sure is relaxing during the warmer weather.

During the day, we visited the Maugle Sierra winery and did a wine tasting. The winery was beautiful, but we weren't overly impressed with the wines - just not our taste. We also lost some money at the Foxwoods Casino and walked around Downtown Mystic, where we had lunch at the Harp and Hound. The food was awful, but it's a cute Irish pub. Our second night, we ate at the S&P Oyster Company, which was excellent. Everything we ordered, which was a lot, was delicious. I highly recommend S&P for dinner.

Overall, I'd recommend the Stonecroft for a romantic getaway, but wouldn't recommend the restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
stonecroftcountryinn, Owner at Stonecroft Country Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We at Stonecroft are continually looking for ways to improve the guests experience, including our new restaurant Tradewinds. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your dinner, but the lack of details makes it difficult to respond. We have been getting a great response to our Prime Rib and Stonecroft Scallop specials on Friday nights. And I'm not sure if you had our new Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake for dessert - but it is quite "over the top". I hope you are able to give us another opportunity to try our new, affordable menu here at Trade Winds Restaurant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

This is a long overdue review, but two years later the memories remain of our wonderful, fabulous destination wedding weekend. What began as a milestone birthday celebration quickly transformed into a last minute surprise wedding celebration due to Connecticut's legalization of marriage rights for all.

My partner and I couldn't have pulled it off without the incredible guidance and support of the entire Stonecroft staff. Our guests had no idea that, in addition to celebrating a birthday, they'd also be attending our wedding. Neither did we, up until 3 weeks before the scheduled birthday weekend! When we mentioned this possibility to Natalie during one of our event planning visits, she instantly exclaimed, "Yes! This will be great. We can do it. I'll help you."

Cindy, Natalie, Jason, John, and Shaed made sure that everything from start to finish was perfect. Natalie provided wonderful referrals for a Justice of The Peace, baker for our cake (gorgeous), musicians, and photographer. All components were coordinated starting with welcoming cocktails on Friday evening straight through to Sunday's brunch. Cindy even assisted us with assembling guest favors the day before our wedding. All of our menu requests were honored AND within our budget.

Our guest list contained 50 people. We reserved the nine rooms at the inn. Stonecroft arranged a discount for those who stayed at the nearby Hyatt. Fortunately, the weather held up for our outdoors ceremony, under the arbor. Simply beautiful.

Passed appetizers and bountiful raw bar, and an open bar set the tone of the evening as guests gathered on the lawn and veranda. The musicians provided a soft jazzy, esoteric soundtrack throughout the evening. The dinner was extraordinary. Shaed, the chef, personally split 50 lobsters and had them served steaming. Our guests kept commenting on the quality of the roast tenderloin. I am not going to list every item on the menu, it was varied and plentiful, but the menu satisfied every guest. Sunday brunch was equally appreciated.

Needless to say, the accommodations, rooms in both inn houses, were luxurious, comfortable and quiet. The grounds are bucolic and restful. Mystic Seaport and its surrounding towns offer a wide selection of daytime activities, from historic sightseeing, to wine tastings at local vineyards, hiking, tours of architecture, casinos, and more! All of our guests had a fabulous time. We did, too!

PS Our wedding was June 2010. The pop-up menu below only goes back 1 year.

Room Tip: Photo and description on webpage are accurate.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Upon arriving at the 1807 house we were drawn into the common area with a fireplace lit and soft guitar music. Thank you Katie for staying a little late to check us in. I had brought a bottle of Champagne and was so happy to see my ice bucket full of ice and two wine glasses ready to go. We quickly returned down to the common room to catch up. A nice young couple staying in the Grange building came in and joined us. We ordered pizza because the restaurant was closed on Sunday. Jason, the owner came in to introduce himself, gave us plates and made us feel comfortable eating in front of the fireplace. Thank you John for picking up the pizza. We were so comfy and chatting up a storm.
I stayed in the Stonecroft with the beautiful mural, king canopy, fireplace and bath and my friend stayed next door in the Orchard with king bed, fireplace and bath. We went over to the restaurant in the Grange building for breakfast at 8:30. We sat at our own table in front of the fireplace looking out the windows to the garden and enjoyed the soft music. Plenty to eat and the pancakes were delicious. Thank you Jason for making us feel at home and the music.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Great alternative to staying staying at Foxwoods or Mohegan. We love it. This was a quick get away for us. We saw a concert at Foxwoods. It is about 12 minutes away. A get a way package or hide an sleep package is great. They come with a 3 course dinner and breakfast in the AM. ( all rooms come with breakfast no matter where you stay. ) Check out their menu online. The Grange rooms have whirlpool tubs and TV in room. The 1807 House has a common area for TV and there is an area with snacks. If not looking for frills the 1807 house to me is the best value. The rooms were very nice and may pick this option next stay. Our dinners. Hubby :Prime Rib and Me: scallops were very nice. The Lobster ,crab and salmon fritters were awesome!! Breakfast choices were: stuffed french toast, pancakes or eggs any way you wanted them. choice of bacon or sausage. They accommodate allergies because I heard them working with a patron because of a Gluten allergy.

Room Tip: they often list a Hot Deal on the bed and breakfast deal sheet each week so sign up for it. we have...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hopewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

My daughter was married there in October of 2011. Everything was great until the owner told us that we had to turn down the music at 8PM. He explained that it was disturbing his other guests. When I said what about the 80 guests at the wedding he said "i don'y have to deal with this and walked away. Since I didn't want to cause trouble at my daughter's wedding we turned down the music and let it go. So my advice is that if you are planning something as important as a wedding stay away from the Stonecroft Country Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
We are happy that everything else about the wedding was great, but the reason we have a requirement to also rent the rooms in the Grange when there is an event downstairs in the dining room, is to ensure the success of the event without having to control music volumes. Unfortunately, in this case we made an exception to requiring the rooms to be booked with the understanding (as outlined in the contract) that any music played would be kept at a low level that would not disturb the guests up in the rooms. At 8 pm, with the music turned up to its top level, we did request that the music be turned down. We will no longer will making that exception. Stonecroft Country Inn is the perfect location for a desitination wedding, by taking over the rooms, the common areas and the grounds for a magical event.
Newport, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I am a frequent visitor to the Foxwoods Casino in the same town as the Stonecroft. Usually stay at the moderately priced hotels on Rt 2. Problem with those places are the paper thin walls, door opening and slamming shut all night long, loud drunk people yelling. So thought that a B&B a few miles away would be the right way to go this time. Quiet inn out in the woods. Beautiful setting. Nice fireplace. Giant whirlpool tub. More calm clientelle. Free full breakfast because there are no places around that area to eat. The inn is indead, all that.

However, having visited many other New Englad country inns, I feel with a little more effort and attention to detail they can be among the best of the best. I always felt that they were cutting corners and that they are worried about the bottom line instead of worrying about giving their guest the best experience:

Paid in extra $40 to get a room in the "Grange" building which had a TV and wifi. Good choice of location since the other historic "1807" building was just too rustic for me. However the TV was a REAL small one which was about 30 feet away from the bed. You couldn't even see it. Seems like they didn't want to spend the $400 for a decent sized one. And only 10 channels? Come on! Same goes with the lighting in the room. Dim and gloomy would describe it. 5W reading light above the bed? Really? How can you read with that? Many of the bulbs were blown out and the one that worked were low watt. Apparently to save on the electricity bill.

After traveling miles to get to a place, other inns offer a simple plate of fresh baked cookies, crackers and dip, grapes or fruit. None of that here. You have to pay extra (too much) if you want that. How much would a plate of cookies or fruit put out from 3-6pm during check in cost the establishment? Maybe $5? Again, no special touches here.

Nobody "took care" to ensure the alarm clock in the room was shut off before our stay and it rang at the crack of dawn. Nor did they take care to notice that the heat couldn't be shut off in the room and we had to endure an 85 degree night.

Room opened up to a nice porch, and down below, in the summer, there is a firepit and nice grounds. But the porch is DIRTY AND FULL OF MOLD!! Hire someone to power wash it!!!

Expend a little more effort to make it worth every penney so guests will want to come back and give it a wonderful review.

Room Tip: Grange building is renovated and large nice rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Let me start by saying that this was the first bed and breakfast that I had ever stayed at. And am I in trouble since it is going to be hard to find a place that is as accommodating, and as comfortable as the Stonecroft Inn. While it was a 3 hour drive from NJ thanks for the CT traffic, it was well worth the drive.

We stayed there for two days (Fri-Sat) checking in late on Friday @ 9 PM. The restaurant staff seated and took my fiance's order (I had called ahead for the special - highly recommend ordering ahead for their surf-n-turf since they need to know ahead of time).

It was a nice romantic late night dinner. We never felt rushed enjoying each other's company, the food, and the ambiance with the fireplace. We were so stuffed there was no room for dessert.

We stayed at the 1807 house, which certainly felt as such. While the baseboards made some noise, it was not loud in the Westcroft room. The bed was comfy, and bathroom was adequate with water pressure good and plenty of shelf space. The dryer is in a bag, and there is a heater in the bathroom near the sink that you can turn on to make the bathroom nice and toasty.

In the morning, breakfast was in the restaurant. First day we had a waitress, who was great. I had gotten my fiance's food to go, but after she texted me that she was coming, the waitress had no problem covering up my mistake and getting my fiance exactly what she wanted. She treated us great. The second day they had a buffet with the eggs benedict, pancakes, sausages, etc. which was just as yummy (maybe because there was a wedding party there the night before and they closed the restaurant for them on that Saturday night).

In any case, we thoroughly enjoyed the second night even with the snowstorm. It did not bother us much even with the heavy side winds and snow with the fireplace going (log lasts 3 hours).

Overall, it was good trip, place was near the water so the snow didn't stick, we had power, enjoyed the Mystic Aquarium, BF Cider, and restaurant and room felt like we were at home but with our own cook. Only bad thing about this trip was that S&P Oyster Company was not that romantic for dinner upstairs. Otherwise, we enjoyed the foliage, and got some snow - cannot wait to go again!

Room Tip: Baseboards make a little noise - might not be best for light sleeper
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Stonecroft Country Inn? Share your experiences!