“Very good dinner...for all budgets” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Ledyard
Cuisines: Contemporary
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Very good dinner...for all budgets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I've eaten here before and have always had a good experience. Open Wed-Sunday, they offer good value for the budget. Entrees run from $11-25, nice selection of appetizers, desserts. Ambience is very nice. My dinner was chicken with an apple/raisin stuffing, other person had meatloaf. The meatloaf is a bit spicy as it has chorizo sausage in it. Definite kick! If you like spicy, you'll love it. Roasted potatoes and other vegetables come with entree. Appetizers were onion soup (good) and an excellent shellfish chowder. We shared a dessert, sour cream coffee cake (I think it would have tasted better if it were warmed up).

There is a guitar player on Sat nights who is very good. It is a bit out of the way but is definitely worth it, not far from Mystic Seaport in case you're there for the day. They also have an inn so you can stay there. Check their website as they do offer some overnight deals including dinner/breakfast which are very competitive with local motels (and a LOT nicer!)

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

connecticut
“Dinner disaster!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

10 of us had dinner reservations at the Inn this evening...we all drove over an hour to get there, but having had a phenomenal meal and service 10 yrs ago, we were thrilled to get the group together to go to the Stonecroft once again. We were warmly welcomed and shown to a beautiful table by the fire, we enjoyed the soft guitar music that added to the already warm, lovely atmosphere...but it went downhill VERY, VERY FAST. We had a very inexperienced server, who was quite friendly, but he had no business serving us alone. The food came out in stages...not everyone got their appetizer at the same time...we are talking a 15 or more minute lapse. One of the meals came much later than the others. The food ranged from good to very mediocre. It got to be a joke between our group on how long the meal was going to take...we were not in a rush, thankfully. The Innkeeper checked on us as we ended our meal and asked our thoughts....and we were hesitant, but he asked for a response to the service and food....we are not so sure that he was going to attend to these deficienies or not. He did subract the late entree and we all had a soda on the house. It was a very disappointing evening....we know what this place has previously offered for food quality and service and it simply is not there now. I know that I will not return there, and I feel that most of our group feels the same way. If the owners don't get a better grip on this situation, they will not survive.

Lebanon, CT
“Romantic Hidden Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This restaurant is pleasantly "out of the way" and not visible from any main road. Even after you arrive at the parking lot, it is not obvious where the restaurant is. There is a subtle sign saying "dining" but it looks like it leads to a hidden garden. Do follow that sign, though, and you will be rewarded! You will arrive at an intriguing, casually elegant restaurant. The interior walls are made of gigantic stones. There is a welcoming fire to warm you. (My husband and I went on a chilly October evening. In summer you could dine outside in the lovely garden, under a vine covered canopy or nearby water garden.)
Inside the restaurant, quiet, eclectic, appropriately romantic, music is playing just loud enough to be noticed but not so loud that it interferes with conversation. The wait staff is very professional and attentive.
After being seated, we were presented with a basket of three types of bread, all warm, fresh, and very tasty. There was hardly a need for butter.
My husband and I ordered the beignet appetizers. These were prepared to perfection! They were crispy on the outside, hot and moist on the inside, and served with a scrumptious sauce.
For the main course, my husband had pork chop and I had sauteed shrimp. Both dinners were delicious.
I would highly recommend the Stonecroft Country Inn for a special evening.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Won't be returning anytime soon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

A friend of mine and I went to Stonecroft for dinner after reading some good reviews. I had been there years ago when it was under different management and wanted to try it again. While the setting was very pretty and they had an excellent musician playing guitar, the food was very disappointing. The bread tasted like frozen pizza dough and both of our meals were almost inedible. I had a gnocchi dish and the gnocchi which reminded me of playdough. Despite the fact that I wasn't able to eat my meal, they still charged us the full price. We ended up going to the grocery store after to get food because we were so hungry. While I really wanted to like this place, the food just wasn't good. It's a shame because it was a pretty location and looked like it was going to be a nice dinner. Maybe this was just an off night, but I wasn't impressed with how they dealt with the situation.

• Visited August 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Fabulous Food and wine selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Fabulous and extensive menu prepared by Chef Shaheed.