“Great view!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Halifax, Canada
“Great view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and got a great deal. We had an amazing view of the Capitol building from our room which was great. The room wasn't huge but it was comfy and all we needed. The front desk staff were nice. The breakfast was included and had lots of choices! Only bad comment was there was a lot of hair in and around the shower which was gross but not a huge deal. If you can get a good price this is a great location!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Pelham, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for a concert at the Meadows (Xfinity Center). While it was a long walk to the show, it was manageable at about 1/2 hour each way. The rooms were rather small and the parking garage was tiny, but the room was clean and comfortable. It was pretty crowded at breakfast and this caused the selection to be pretty limited. We certainly would not have chosen this hotel had there been any available rooms closer to the venue. That being said, there was a beautiful view of the CT statehouse and surrounding park..

Then there was the scary side of this hotel... The people in front of us at check in were handing back a key to the front desk. I overheard - "The room you gave us was a king, we needed a double." The employee banged away at the computer and gave them a new key card. As soon as they boarded the elevator I heard... "On-no, I think I made a mistake!"

Sure enough, a minute later the couple returned to report that the room they were given was actually occupied. "Good thing they weren't doing anything when we barged in." the woman stated.

We found this level of mistake a bit shocking, so as we opened our room I told my wife I would hang the do not disturb sign right away. The people across the hall were leaving their room and must have heard me and stopped. "Did they give you a key to an occupied room too? The first room they gave us had open suitcases on the bed!" they told us. These were not the same people in front of us at check-in!

I'm not sure how many keys they handed out to occupied rooms that night, but we were far from impressed and made sure to hide our valuables when we went out and use the chain when we went to bed. I would have to assume this was a new...flustered employee losing their mind on a very busy night, but that's still unacceptable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that isn't already occupied !
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HIEHDWTN, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to comment on your past stay with us. Your review shows us what we're doing wrong and how we can do better. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced while staying with us.

I am the new Front Office Manager for this property and is working vigorously with my team to eliminate such errors as you mention. I quickly realized that the clerk in question did not receive proper training and was a bit flustered in dealing with a big group. I have taken him off the 2nd shift where it is more fast pace and have placed him on the 1st shift where I can better monitor him and give him the necessary training needed. I have stronger team members working the busiest shifts to make sure such errors are not made again.

Please note that the incident occurred once. There were 2 couples staying in that room, you encountered one at the desk making the changes and another in the hallway after you checked it. Rest assure that it is not a common practice for our guests to be checked in an occupied room.

I reached out to the guest in question upon check out, apologized for the mishap made sure they were taken cared of.

Again I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with excellent service the next time you are in our area.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I chose this hotel because it was located next to the Amtrak's Hartford train station. Don't misinterpret the word train thinking noise. There is no noise from the railroad, rooms do not face the tracks directly anyway. The line is only used by Amtrak every couple of hours, but nothing overnight! The hotel is a fair sized building, older in construction, but well kept. The parking lot is kind of tight, but parking didn't seem to be an issue for our friends that drove. The hotel is centered in an area with several restaurants & clubs. My arrival was a Friday night and the club goers were partying it up. The nearby sidewalks were populated by a younger crowd who looked like they were enjoying their time in the clubs a bit too much. Police were keeping an eye on things which made me wonder if something bad was going on, or is this a normal Friday night in Hartford. Anyway, everything went well during my stay. The room was very quiet and I had a wonderful view of the CT State Capitol. The room was kind of small for a Holiday Inn brand property, the bathroom was very small. But the room was nice, well kept and furnished in current HIE decor. The hotel offers breakfast which I passed on (didn't even check it out).

Would I stay here again? Yes, You bet! Anytime I can avoid New York City rush hour traffic by taking a train, walking across the street to the hotel, count me in!

Room Tip: Take the train to Hartford, station is across the street!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

From the moment we stepped into the lobby my daughter and I felt welcomed and comfortable. Lisa at the front desk was so friendly and fun, and willing to do anything to make our stay a pleasant experience. The bed linens are great, and the room was very comfortable, The complimentary breakfast in the morning was just right, with more friendly staffers ready to help us! The view of the park across the street was very pretty. I would definitely stay here again. Thanks, Lisa!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This HI Express is centrally located in downtown Hartford, just across the street from the park grounds in front of the state capitol. Rooms on the park side of the hotel have a nice view of the building and the park. Other than location, this is a fairly average place, though basically functional. My room was pretty small with a few things lacking - bathroom fixtures cracked, tub drain that was disconnected, no bedside lamp on one side of the bed, no chair to sit in other than the desk chair, etc. The $180 price tag is on the high side for a hotel like this, but I suppose you're paying for location. On the "plus" side, it did have a fridge and a microwave, though I never found a store close by where you could buy anything to refrigerate or heat up. Breakfast was the standard HI Express fare - prefabricated eggs, sausage, pastries, cereal - but they hadn't run out of anything so it was better than many.
One other thing... it's a $45 taxi ride (plus tip) from Bradley Airport. On two occasions (both when I called the hotel before my trip and when I checked in), I asked about alternative transportation. They said taxi was the only way to go. After my stay, I learned that the city bus runs hourly from the airport to/from Union Station, which is right across the street from this hotel. You have to deal with your own luggage on/off the bus, but you can't beat the cost... $1.50. Somebody at this hotel should be telling potential guests about that; it's an advantage for them and it's not even listed on their website!

Room Tip: If they offer you "park side," take it... much nicer view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear FlyGuy47,

Thank you for writing a candid review following your recent stay. We are very glad that you liked the location of the hotel and the complimentary breakfast. On the other hand, it seems that the bathroom quality and room amenities did not live up to your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience these aspects may have caused. As for the transportation to and from the airport, we have taken note of your feedback and will discuss this with the respective departments. We appreciate all the comments we receive as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stopped here for two nights on our way up to Boston. It is a typical City Centre Hotel but parking is available on the premises at a charge. Free WiFi was good. My rason for choosing this hotel was the view of the Capitol building from the upper rooms. (ask for a room at the front facing the Park) The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was as usual for a Holiday Inn and coffee was available in the breakfast area most of the day. All in all I was satisfied with everything and the Capitol was a bonus. Get a tour if you can, it is a magnificent building.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Park and on fifth floor or above.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed here for one night this past weekend and was very impressed. I was greeted by Lisa at the front desk and she was welcoming and very informative. My room was spacious and very clean with many amenities. It was so quiet and what a treat it was to have a view of the beautiful park surrounding the state capital building. I was in Hartford for a concert with the symphony orchestra and Gerard at the front desk tried his best to get me a cab. After a thirty minute wait, he suggested I walk a block and try for one in front of Union Station. Thanks to him, I made it to the concert on time. I will definitely stay here the next time I'm in Hartford!

Room Tip: Make sure your room faces the State Capital Building!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!