“Friendly and competent staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

and 1 more site!
You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Waterbury, Connecticut
“Friendly and competent staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

A friend and I stayed at this hotel as we were ending a very long road trip and simply needed to rest. After an unfortunate mix-up with booking through Hotwire.com, the staff here were very sympathetic to our situation and were very kind and courteous to us. We were blocked into rm 410 which is a dbl/dbl room with an awesome view of Bushnell Park and the State Capitol building. Although not very large or anything extraordinary, the room itself was impeccably clean, as was the bathroom. The a/c unit in our room was whisper quiet. I was surprised to find that despite our room being located directly across from the elevator, and our stay being over the weekend with the exciting downtown Hartford nightlife in the very near vicinity, I expected it to be a lot noisier than it was. To the contrary, our stay was relatively quiet.
The only reason I can't rate this review at the highest rating is because there was virtually no "welcome info" with points of interest, area restaurants etc in our room, nor was there a channel guide for the tv. The fan vent in our bathroom didn't work, so the mirror was very foggy long after we took our showers which was kind of a slight bummer, but nothing major. (Awesome shower heads and water pressure though. Also loved the Bath & Bodyworks "White Citrus" bath products!) We also didn't have a "Do not disturb" sign to hang outside the door.. so housekeeping sorta barged into our room while we were trying to sleep.. which actually was kinda funny. lol. Free Internet was fast and reliable. Free "REAL" (ie: bacon, eggs, sausage.. protein..yay!!) breakfast was a huge plus.
If I had to, I'd say I'd stay here again because of the very friendly, courteous and attentive staff. I'd like to give a personal thank you to Jerry Storo, who kept us in stitches lol, and to Karen and Shellyanne at check-in. Thank you so much for your warm hospitality and making my friend and I feel welcome after a long and somewhat stressful day. Peace and blessings to you all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I recently visited Hartford, CT for the first time, meeting-up with fellow fans for a John Mayer concert at Comcast Theater.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn - Downtown Hartford on Asylum Street as it was a great location for a short walk to the heart of downtown and a variety of historical sites, such as Union Station (a working train station location), Bushnell Park (a must see!) and a variety of shops, bars & pubs.

Downtown Hartford also has a great night life scene with many different types of live entertainment for everyone!

As to the hotel, the staff was very professional, friendly and efficient at getting you checked-in quickly. My room (a king on the Priority Club floor) as very clean and tidy with room temperature just perfect. I didn't have to call the front desk or housekeeping for any needs regarding my room.

Breakfast was included every morning, but is buffet style with pre-cooked items such as scrambled eggs, sausage patties & links, toast, yogurt, fruit and a few other items to choose from. I mainly drank the coffee and orange juice due to nutritional limitiations.

The only complaint I had was around 1 am in the morning on a Friday where a nightclub across the parking lot was so loud that everything in my room was vibrating. It didn't matter how high I turned the air conditioning or the tv.... it was still there. I was informed that by law, the music had to stop at 1:45 am.... and it did. The hotel was very apologetic for the issue, but I simply understood that it was out of their control, so no fault on their end.

I'd highly recommend this hotel, especially with it located within a short walk to see a variety of sites, and for their hospitality and professionalism.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

On a recent trip to Hartford, we spent one night at the Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown. I didn't expect much, but upon arrival we were greeted by the very friendly staff and were assigned a room with a stunning view of the State Capitol. The room itself was an average room nothing to rave about, but the view and customer service completely made up for it.

The room is right across the street from Bushnell Park and a few blocks away from a train station and downtown Hartford (shops, restaurants, bars and other hotels).

There is free breakfast at the hotel, but parking will cost you about $18, which was a bummer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was here for 2 weeks while looking for an apartment.

-Facilities were good. Free breakfast a plus.
-The ladies came and cleaned everyday if you wanted it.
-There was a small gym and a laundry room.
-There was one computer with a printer.
-Free coffee in the lobby also a plus.
-Area very safe and close to train station.

Some things I noticed :
- I was never offered the city shuttle as others have mentioned.
- Staff was usually absent from the front desk.
- Staff was usually unfriendly and cold.
- The room cards regularly lost their hold to open the doors.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel is very well ubicated, 2 blocks from the bus and train station and in front of the beautiful Bushnell Park and the State Capitol. The personal is very welcoming and friendly, especially Jashon who gave us the opportunity to stay a couple of hours later than the chek out time, in order to finishing our laundry (on second floor). The rooms have cofee maker, very comfortable beds and are extremely clean and so are the bathrooms. Breakfast on the second floor have a very nice view of the park and with a variety of delicious hot sweet rolls, pan cakes made by a machine, yogurt, cereal, juices, etc. By getting any "sixty" bus you can reach the beautiful Mark Twain's House in about 7-10 minute ride. Internet is free and with fast speed.

Room Tip: Rooms in front have great views of the park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our family was treated like special guests since we arrived. Although the beds are not comfortable and there is no pool; the other amenities were substantial. Our view of the state capital was breathtaking...the Bushnell Park being just across the street. The free city shuttle service meets behind the parking lot.

Yolanda in the breakfast area made sure my kids had what they wanted but also extra plates for the microwave in our room and an extra milk for the baby. I felt like we were visiting family. When we needed a car seat to transfer to another hotel for a conference; their driver went to her car and got one for my little one to use. The receptionists gave snacks to the kids every day and made them feel welcome versus other places that look at kids as a nuisance. The staff really went above and beyond in their service!

Room Tip: The restaurant, Hot Tomatoes across the street is wonderful! Get room 808 or 908 for a phenomenal vi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WAITSFIELD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Rooms are very nice. The view from rooms facing south is exceptional because it looks right at the state capitol and park in front of it. Typically the other hotels in downtown Hartford like the Marriott or Hilton are at least $50 higher per night plus the parking is higher. If you arrive by Amtrak you are right across the street from the hotel. The only negative is that some of the train traffic can wake you up if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors facing the capitol lawn. The view is excellent. Priority Gold...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!