“Long Stay - Satisfied” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Brooklyn, NY
“Long Stay - Satisfied”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was here for 2 weeks while looking for an apartment.

-Facilities were good. Free breakfast a plus.
-The ladies came and cleaned everyday if you wanted it.
-There was a small gym and a laundry room.
-There was one computer with a printer.
-Free coffee in the lobby also a plus.
-Area very safe and close to train station.

Some things I noticed :
- I was never offered the city shuttle as others have mentioned.
- Staff was usually absent from the front desk.
- Staff was usually unfriendly and cold.
- The room cards regularly lost their hold to open the doors.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel is very well ubicated, 2 blocks from the bus and train station and in front of the beautiful Bushnell Park and the State Capitol. The personal is very welcoming and friendly, especially Jashon who gave us the opportunity to stay a couple of hours later than the chek out time, in order to finishing our laundry (on second floor). The rooms have cofee maker, very comfortable beds and are extremely clean and so are the bathrooms. Breakfast on the second floor have a very nice view of the park and with a variety of delicious hot sweet rolls, pan cakes made by a machine, yogurt, cereal, juices, etc. By getting any "sixty" bus you can reach the beautiful Mark Twain's House in about 7-10 minute ride. Internet is free and with fast speed.

Room Tip: Rooms in front have great views of the park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our family was treated like special guests since we arrived. Although the beds are not comfortable and there is no pool; the other amenities were substantial. Our view of the state capital was breathtaking...the Bushnell Park being just across the street. The free city shuttle service meets behind the parking lot.

Yolanda in the breakfast area made sure my kids had what they wanted but also extra plates for the microwave in our room and an extra milk for the baby. I felt like we were visiting family. When we needed a car seat to transfer to another hotel for a conference; their driver went to her car and got one for my little one to use. The receptionists gave snacks to the kids every day and made them feel welcome versus other places that look at kids as a nuisance. The staff really went above and beyond in their service!

Room Tip: The restaurant, Hot Tomatoes across the street is wonderful! Get room 808 or 908 for a phenomenal vi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WAITSFIELD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Rooms are very nice. The view from rooms facing south is exceptional because it looks right at the state capitol and park in front of it. Typically the other hotels in downtown Hartford like the Marriott or Hilton are at least $50 higher per night plus the parking is higher. If you arrive by Amtrak you are right across the street from the hotel. The only negative is that some of the train traffic can wake you up if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors facing the capitol lawn. The view is excellent. Priority Gold...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The location of this hotel (right next to the train station) and the low price (compared to other Hartford hotels) were what attracted me. I also liked that it had a shuttle in to businesses in town in the morning. There is free internet that worked fine in my room. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. However, there was no hot water in the morning in the shower. The comforter smelled of cigarette smoke. There was no bathroom counter (instead a pedestal sink) so that made getting ready in the morning inconvenient. My bedroom faced the parking lot and there were loud dumpster sounds that woke me randomly throughout the night. I had to wait 30 minutes to check in because there was a long line and only one person handling check ins (although there was another computer and another staffer in the office.) Also my coworkers told me the hotel was in a sketchy part of town and advised against walking back there after dinner.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a room facing the park, not the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Second time staying here and been pleased both times. Price is reasonable for a great downtown location and had a great view of the capitol building. I came early so no rooms so I hung out in the lobby area. The staff was very attentive and brought me over my keys as soon as the next room became available. They were all very friendly behind the desk. Was charged $16 bucks for parking and I don't think I did when I came a year ago, but in the scheme of things, very cheap for any overnight.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Central Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is in a great location and one side of the hotel has beautiful panoramic views of the Capital building. It's very pretty. Internet service in the room was always reliable which is a big plus. But that's where the good ends. The thing that probably annoyed me the most was the heater/air in the room. They are the old fashioned loud, powerful blowers which you only have the ability to turn it warmer and cooler, so actual temp can be set. So it was really LOUD all the time if it was running. I found that using this outdated contraption, my room was either really hot or really cold if I turned it down. The rooms themselves are tiny. I had a king bed room and I barely had room to move around at all. The furniture is pretty dated and the lamps are very cheap. The lampshade on the desk lap was stained with some enormous yellow stain. The light switch as you entered the room did not control any lights that I could figure out. So when it was dark, I had to feel my way through the door when I unlocked it after dark. The bathrooms are sooo little and only have a pedastal sink, so for a woman that has a makeup bag, blow dryer, straightening iron and another bag of toiletries...it was impossible to make getting ready convenient. Something really difficult to deal with was the fact that there was only one outlet in the bathroom and it was on the back wall (behind you if you were standing in front of the sink/mirror). So your blowdryer had to be pulled from behind you to use it and if you had anything else to plug in, you have to do it out in the room itself. The lighting in the bathroom was not conducive to putting on makeup and neither was the lighting in the room itself. The continental breakfast is such low class and bare bones. There are places where hot food was supposed to go and probably previously did (like the freshly baked cinnamon rolls). Instead these areas sat empty. There were 2 choices for bread, bagels (that were kinda stale) and white bread. No muffins, no english muffins. There wasn't even one of those do it yourself belgian waffle makers that a lot of hotel's breakfast includes. No fruit at all on the first day, and only whole apples on my second morning. the plastic forks/knives were horrible quality. It just seems as though everything that they could have cut corners on, they did. I am thoroughly disappointed in the rooms, the breakfast and just about everything else. Some of the things are just plain lazy to me. Dirty lampshades, low class breakfast, cheap plates/utensils. I realize this is not a Hilton or a Marriott, but it's also not a Super 8 or Motel 6 either. Not impressed in any way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the capital for a nice view. Stay away from the side with the restaurant Hot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ed S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Many of your concerns are related to the building itself. This hotel is different from most Holiday Inn Express hotels as it is located in a downtown historic district with parks and historic buildings and dining at our doorsteps. The room sizes are slightly smaller and the view of the Capital is wonderful. The heating and air conditioning are the standard units used in most HI Express hotels however we are concerned that the particular room you stayed in may have had a problem. We address equipment issues as quickly as possible and repair to the satisfaction of our guests. The breakfast area has been revamped and supply standards put in place to ensure experiences like yours are never repeated. We strive to provide great service and ameneities at an affordable price and all comments are taken seriously. Thank you for your feedback.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!