“A great alternative to more expensive hotels in downtown Hartford” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
WAITSFIELD
“A great alternative to more expensive hotels in downtown Hartford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Rooms are very nice. The view from rooms facing south is exceptional because it looks right at the state capitol and park in front of it. Typically the other hotels in downtown Hartford like the Marriott or Hilton are at least $50 higher per night plus the parking is higher. If you arrive by Amtrak you are right across the street from the hotel. The only negative is that some of the train traffic can wake you up if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors facing the capitol lawn. The view is excellent. Priority Gold...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The location of this hotel (right next to the train station) and the low price (compared to other Hartford hotels) were what attracted me. I also liked that it had a shuttle in to businesses in town in the morning. There is free internet that worked fine in my room. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. However, there was no hot water in the morning in the shower. The comforter smelled of cigarette smoke. There was no bathroom counter (instead a pedestal sink) so that made getting ready in the morning inconvenient. My bedroom faced the parking lot and there were loud dumpster sounds that woke me randomly throughout the night. I had to wait 30 minutes to check in because there was a long line and only one person handling check ins (although there was another computer and another staffer in the office.) Also my coworkers told me the hotel was in a sketchy part of town and advised against walking back there after dinner.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a room facing the park, not the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Second time staying here and been pleased both times. Price is reasonable for a great downtown location and had a great view of the capitol building. I came early so no rooms so I hung out in the lobby area. The staff was very attentive and brought me over my keys as soon as the next room became available. They were all very friendly behind the desk. Was charged $16 bucks for parking and I don't think I did when I came a year ago, but in the scheme of things, very cheap for any overnight.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Central Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is in a great location and one side of the hotel has beautiful panoramic views of the Capital building. It's very pretty. Internet service in the room was always reliable which is a big plus. But that's where the good ends. The thing that probably annoyed me the most was the heater/air in the room. They are the old fashioned loud, powerful blowers which you only have the ability to turn it warmer and cooler, so actual temp can be set. So it was really LOUD all the time if it was running. I found that using this outdated contraption, my room was either really hot or really cold if I turned it down. The rooms themselves are tiny. I had a king bed room and I barely had room to move around at all. The furniture is pretty dated and the lamps are very cheap. The lampshade on the desk lap was stained with some enormous yellow stain. The light switch as you entered the room did not control any lights that I could figure out. So when it was dark, I had to feel my way through the door when I unlocked it after dark. The bathrooms are sooo little and only have a pedastal sink, so for a woman that has a makeup bag, blow dryer, straightening iron and another bag of toiletries...it was impossible to make getting ready convenient. Something really difficult to deal with was the fact that there was only one outlet in the bathroom and it was on the back wall (behind you if you were standing in front of the sink/mirror). So your blowdryer had to be pulled from behind you to use it and if you had anything else to plug in, you have to do it out in the room itself. The lighting in the bathroom was not conducive to putting on makeup and neither was the lighting in the room itself. The continental breakfast is such low class and bare bones. There are places where hot food was supposed to go and probably previously did (like the freshly baked cinnamon rolls). Instead these areas sat empty. There were 2 choices for bread, bagels (that were kinda stale) and white bread. No muffins, no english muffins. There wasn't even one of those do it yourself belgian waffle makers that a lot of hotel's breakfast includes. No fruit at all on the first day, and only whole apples on my second morning. the plastic forks/knives were horrible quality. It just seems as though everything that they could have cut corners on, they did. I am thoroughly disappointed in the rooms, the breakfast and just about everything else. Some of the things are just plain lazy to me. Dirty lampshades, low class breakfast, cheap plates/utensils. I realize this is not a Hilton or a Marriott, but it's also not a Super 8 or Motel 6 either. Not impressed in any way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the capital for a nice view. Stay away from the side with the restaurant Hot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ed S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Many of your concerns are related to the building itself. This hotel is different from most Holiday Inn Express hotels as it is located in a downtown historic district with parks and historic buildings and dining at our doorsteps. The room sizes are slightly smaller and the view of the Capital is wonderful. The heating and air conditioning are the standard units used in most HI Express hotels however we are concerned that the particular room you stayed in may have had a problem. We address equipment issues as quickly as possible and repair to the satisfaction of our guests. The breakfast area has been revamped and supply standards put in place to ensure experiences like yours are never repeated. We strive to provide great service and ameneities at an affordable price and all comments are taken seriously. Thank you for your feedback.
Grayson, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I walked into the lobby of this hotel to make a reservation. It was about 7:00 pm. The entrance was not very bright and there was no one at the front desk. I looked around and sitting in the corner were two people (a man and woman) talking and having a good time together. When I said hello the woman came over to me and asked what I wanted. She was so unprofessional and frankly seemed to be annoyed that I had bothered her. I asked her about the rooms and she provided quick, curt answers to my questions. I told her I would think things over, and then I left.

I was shocked at such a lack of good customer service. They obviously don't care about their clients. The first impression a customer has about a hotel is the front desk, and this hotel blew it big time!! Will never recommend them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Bev N,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. It is unfortunate your interaction with the staff prevented you from completing a stay at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ben J
Putnam, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

having stayed in many hotels of a wide range of qualities, this falls on the high side of poor but i gave it an average rating out of fairness. front desk staff was friendly and obviously making an effort to do a good job which is appreciated. after that there is nothing good to write about. the hotel is old, dank and outdated, much like the rest of the city of hartford. my room was "non-smoking" but smelled like there were 100 wet ashtrays in the closet. there were no issues with cleanliness, just that the room was so old and used and stinky it was not a happy experience. our room phone worked but our friend's phone didn't ring at all. not a big deal but still, the phones should probably work? however, we used it only to crash after a show at the XL center and for that purpose and price it is acceptable.

Room Tip: view of the State capitol building
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear beachbum393,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your kind comments about our hotel staff. I want to assure you that hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we failed to meet the quality you expect from our property. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance for us to monitor and improve our guests experience.

Lera P
new brunswick canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here on a saturday night while attending a concert at the nearby xl center. Staff was very good in assisting me. Hotel building is very dated and room was tiny. Location is a 3 minute walk to xl center. Breakfast was not ready the next morning and we left after just having some eggs. Room was clean but in my opinion the hotel is not of holiday inn express quality. Would probably look else where next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Richard M,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the building being dated and the poor breakfast experience. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!