“They Lost My Business” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Grayson, Georgia
“They Lost My Business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I walked into the lobby of this hotel to make a reservation. It was about 7:00 pm. The entrance was not very bright and there was no one at the front desk. I looked around and sitting in the corner were two people (a man and woman) talking and having a good time together. When I said hello the woman came over to me and asked what I wanted. She was so unprofessional and frankly seemed to be annoyed that I had bothered her. I asked her about the rooms and she provided quick, curt answers to my questions. I told her I would think things over, and then I left.

I was shocked at such a lack of good customer service. They obviously don't care about their clients. The first impression a customer has about a hotel is the front desk, and this hotel blew it big time!! Will never recommend them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Bev N,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. It is unfortunate your interaction with the staff prevented you from completing a stay at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Putnam, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

having stayed in many hotels of a wide range of qualities, this falls on the high side of poor but i gave it an average rating out of fairness. front desk staff was friendly and obviously making an effort to do a good job which is appreciated. after that there is nothing good to write about. the hotel is old, dank and outdated, much like the rest of the city of hartford. my room was "non-smoking" but smelled like there were 100 wet ashtrays in the closet. there were no issues with cleanliness, just that the room was so old and used and stinky it was not a happy experience. our room phone worked but our friend's phone didn't ring at all. not a big deal but still, the phones should probably work? however, we used it only to crash after a show at the XL center and for that purpose and price it is acceptable.

Room Tip: view of the State capitol building
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear beachbum393,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your kind comments about our hotel staff. I want to assure you that hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we failed to meet the quality you expect from our property. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance for us to monitor and improve our guests experience.

Lera P
new brunswick canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here on a saturday night while attending a concert at the nearby xl center. Staff was very good in assisting me. Hotel building is very dated and room was tiny. Location is a 3 minute walk to xl center. Breakfast was not ready the next morning and we left after just having some eggs. Room was clean but in my opinion the hotel is not of holiday inn express quality. Would probably look else where next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Richard M,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the building being dated and the poor breakfast experience. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Honestly the worst hotel of the past 50 I have stayed in. The front desk staff spend more time talking to the other employees than taking care of the customers. They have no decision making authority, a problem magnified by a manager and assistant manager both away for a week of training (God knows they need it). When I reported on Saturday that my phone was out of order nothing was done until, finally Tuesday when I had a tantrum. When no one bothered to clean my room one day the front desk clerk said she was sorry, but did not offer to do anything to make up for it. When there was no orange juice in the breakfast room on Sunday or Monday I asked if they might replenish it. They said "No sorry". There is no parking so you pay the parking lot close by $16 per night. I was quoted a rate of $109 per night but was charged $139. Apparently no one can do anything about that either. I could go on, but trust me when I say do not stop here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Melanie B,

Connie D
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Man, I have stayed in cleaner rooms, and stood in cleaner showers. Room phones seemed to be props. Still, I've seen a lot worse too. Front desk was really busy but seemed nice. I'll look elsewhere next time but won't be upset of its where I end up.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear FamousShoes,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with with the condition of our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Very nice, good parking. A bit of a walk but reasonable pricing. We went on business, so it was a perfect stopover. On other hand, lots to see nearby and restaurants withing walking distance. Would use again. If wanting a quick stopover in downtown take a look.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We needed a bed for just one night to see Bruce Springsteen & this was the perfect location as it is a short, easy walk right along the street. We were with friends after the show & didn't walk back till 01.30am, which I would be wary of in a large UK city (& to be fair I was half expecting to book a taxi here) but no-one was around & it felt perfectly safe & was well lit for our 10 minute walk. We had a room on the 8th floor with a beautiful view of the Capitol building across the park.
The check in girl was lovely & offered us goodies & free parking as we are Platinum members. A bonus I hadn't expected.
We did not encounter a parking attendant but were given a docket to put in the car when we checked in. The only down side was that there weren't many spaces at 3pm on arrival & the one we did find was smelly but that's not HIE's fault if ignorant people use carparks as toilets!!
We would stay again despite that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!