“Decent for a Holiday Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Cleveland, Ohio
“Decent for a Holiday Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We recently stayed here for a wedding that was downtown and it was acceptable. The rooms were very typical of a Holiday Inn, although a bit cramped with the two double beds. Our bathroom light was a strobe light essentially and the bathroom was not very clean. The breakfast was pretty good for a continental breakfast - bagels, cereal, hot items, yogurt and a dining room overlooking the capitol building. The breakfast staff were extremely friendly. Parking at the hotel was $16, which was a bit steep, and in my opinion should just be included in the room price instead of being asked to pay in addition.

Overall it was an okay value for an okay price.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor so you have a view of the capitol building! we were on floor 4 and the view...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Carrollton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Would definitely stay there again. We had a hotel overlooking Bushmill park and it was beautiful. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was full as HIExp breakfasts are. Parking is in the back and requires a pass that must be paid for as part of the room. But that is not out of line for Hartford. Take time to walk the park and take in the art. It is a beautiful city and a great hotel. The only reason it is a 4 and not a 5 is the small bathroom which is probably because it is an older hotel building that has been updated so there was just not room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlow, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

To make this a balanced review I will start with the positives. I booked this with reward points and being a platinum member I got free parking, and a top level room with a view of the state Capitol building. This was a great view. There is also complimentary breakfast in the morning. The location is also central. Word of warning if you have complimentary parking - ignore the parking attendant. This is not owned by the holiday and even though we said we were with hotel he tried to charge us $10. He did have no teeth so maybe he is saving up. Now for the reason why I rate it as poor. I was told there would be a holding charge of $25 on my card. To cut a long story short they actually charged my card for this amount. I contacted the hotel at least twice with absolutely no reply. After a couple of weeks of lack of response I had to log a complaint with Priority Club. They ensured me that the hotel would contact me directly with 48 hours. Needless to say they didn't. This went on for several weeks even to the point where customer service couldn't get response from them. Clearly customer service is non existent. I eventually got it sorted after several weeks.
Overall recommendation: find another hotel which cares about customer service

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear ASarge77,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel and for being a Platinum Member. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Hartford.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Quincy, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I spent one night in Downtown Hartford. Location is good as you can walk to plenty of bars and restaurants. There is also a great view of the Capitol Building. The rooms are typical Holiday Inn rooms but the beds are comfortable enough. An included breakfast is great but then neutralized by the $16 a night to park in the hotel lot. Based on my needs for a place to rest my head for the night at a reasonable rate and located downtown, this fit the bill but by no means impressed me beyond that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The location is convenient – at least for my purpose, it was. The hotel, however, is average. The small reception area looks modern and clean, as does the breakfast area on the second floor. The rest of the hotel is a bit dated and fairly basic.

At the rear of the hotel is a private parking lot and the hotel has arrangements with them – but will charge $16/night for it (they waived that for me on account of my platinum status with Priority Club).
The rooms are relatively small but decent. The one major gripe I had was that there were no electric sockets except one in the lamp on the desk. I looked everywhere – if there is one, it is quite well concealed! The airconditioner was fairly noisy for some reason - it didn't seem overly old, not sure what the problem was.

Bathroom was small – but functional. It had one of those shower curtains that has a type of cloth that smells of wet laundry left to dry in a bucket. It was a perpetually there and unpleasant.

Check-in was smooth and pleasant – but check-out a bit annoying. I’m standing at the reception with my bags and the key card (so it probably obvious what I’m there for) for 10 minutes – and the woman behind the counter is having a telephone conversation about some computer procedure that she didn’t understand, presumably with a colleague. I appreciate that it sounded important – but more important than even acknowledging a hotel guest with a nod or a “sorry to keep you waiting”?

Overall – it’s a decent, clean, inexpensive hotel. Works for what it is (and the location), but I’ve seen HI Express properties far exceed expectations. It’s about the effort management puts in little things that make a hotel great or ordinary. This one was decidedly ordinary.

Room Tip: Park facing - nothing different about the rooms, but the park is pleasant to look at (the parking lo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Indian Head, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is good enough. It's clean, the beds are comfortable, the staff is nice. There is free breakfast although it is usually that preformed microwaveable egg stuff and some kind of very dry bisquit or French toast stick, but they also have juice, oatmeal, fruit, etc. this hotel is expensive for a holiday inn express, but it is in the middle of downtown, which is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for work. I read the trip advisor reviews before going. I'm sad to say that they were correct. I tried to think positive and give it a good review, but it was not up to other HI express standards. The lobby was dirty, the carpet smelled and my bathroom was not very clean. I had a fabulous view of the state Capitol, but there are many ares that this hotel needs to improve including it's front desk service. The young woman working the front desk was multi-tasking while trying to fix my bill. All my colleagues were charged incorrectly for the room. While trying to fix it, the front desk clerk was very rude. I travel all the time for work and pleasure and stay in many hotels, including HI express, and this was the worst one I've ever stayed in. There was a lot of street noise, but that typically doesn't bother me, and you could hardly hear the train. There was also a lot of noise every night in the stairwell adjacent to my room. There also seemed to be a lot of people coming in and out that didn't appear to be guests at the hotel. The breakfast and housekeeping crews were friendly. was happy to leave.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear JennieHef,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations with the condition of our facilities as well as the service you received and for the issues you had with the noise. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Hartford you will give our hotel another try.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!