“Good location for an average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Oakville, Canada
“Good location for an average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The location is convenient – at least for my purpose, it was. The hotel, however, is average. The small reception area looks modern and clean, as does the breakfast area on the second floor. The rest of the hotel is a bit dated and fairly basic.

At the rear of the hotel is a private parking lot and the hotel has arrangements with them – but will charge $16/night for it (they waived that for me on account of my platinum status with Priority Club).
The rooms are relatively small but decent. The one major gripe I had was that there were no electric sockets except one in the lamp on the desk. I looked everywhere – if there is one, it is quite well concealed! The airconditioner was fairly noisy for some reason - it didn't seem overly old, not sure what the problem was.

Bathroom was small – but functional. It had one of those shower curtains that has a type of cloth that smells of wet laundry left to dry in a bucket. It was a perpetually there and unpleasant.

Check-in was smooth and pleasant – but check-out a bit annoying. I’m standing at the reception with my bags and the key card (so it probably obvious what I’m there for) for 10 minutes – and the woman behind the counter is having a telephone conversation about some computer procedure that she didn’t understand, presumably with a colleague. I appreciate that it sounded important – but more important than even acknowledging a hotel guest with a nod or a “sorry to keep you waiting”?

Overall – it’s a decent, clean, inexpensive hotel. Works for what it is (and the location), but I’ve seen HI Express properties far exceed expectations. It’s about the effort management puts in little things that make a hotel great or ordinary. This one was decidedly ordinary.

Room Tip: Park facing - nothing different about the rooms, but the park is pleasant to look at (the parking lo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Indian Head, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is good enough. It's clean, the beds are comfortable, the staff is nice. There is free breakfast although it is usually that preformed microwaveable egg stuff and some kind of very dry bisquit or French toast stick, but they also have juice, oatmeal, fruit, etc. this hotel is expensive for a holiday inn express, but it is in the middle of downtown, which is convenient.

• Stayed September 2012
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for work. I read the trip advisor reviews before going. I'm sad to say that they were correct. I tried to think positive and give it a good review, but it was not up to other HI express standards. The lobby was dirty, the carpet smelled and my bathroom was not very clean. I had a fabulous view of the state Capitol, but there are many ares that this hotel needs to improve including it's front desk service. The young woman working the front desk was multi-tasking while trying to fix my bill. All my colleagues were charged incorrectly for the room. While trying to fix it, the front desk clerk was very rude. I travel all the time for work and pleasure and stay in many hotels, including HI express, and this was the worst one I've ever stayed in. There was a lot of street noise, but that typically doesn't bother me, and you could hardly hear the train. There was also a lot of noise every night in the stairwell adjacent to my room. There also seemed to be a lot of people coming in and out that didn't appear to be guests at the hotel. The breakfast and housekeeping crews were friendly. was happy to leave.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear JennieHef,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations with the condition of our facilities as well as the service you received and for the issues you had with the noise. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Hartford you will give our hotel another try.

Karen C
Naarden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

What a great location to have a meeting! Awesome view of the Capitol building from the meeting room. The sales people were very nice to deal with and the location was really easy to find. Ideal to walk to a number of excellent Hartford restaurats including Vitos and Salute. I recommend both.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manhattan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I arrived at this hotel in the evening and was met by very pleasant staffers. I booked thru Hotwire and got a rate of $72 tax/fees included. I'd previously been quoted a rate of $99 when I called earlier. I had no problem checking in with my hotwire reservation. The hotel did refuse to take cash for incidentals. They would only take a credit card for incidentals. I usually prefer to pay cash but gave them my credit card anyway.

I had a very uneventful evening. I awoke to a phone call from the front desk. I was asked if I was checking out or staying. I asked for an extension of 30 minutes passed the regular check out time. The staffer did not immediately agree to the extension. The first question she asked me was if I was a Priority Club Member - this is the name of their frequent rewards program. I said YES because I am a member. The staffer said my rewards number was not on the reservation. I offered to give her the number and withdrew my request for an additional 30 minutes. I left the room ON TIME. I was not late and did not check out late.

Upon arriving at the front desk, I recognized the staffers voice. I gave her my priority club membership number and I told her that I thought she was unfriendly on our phone call. She became irate and told me and I quote..."You booked through HOTWIRE so we don't have to do anything extra for you." End quote. She then turned and walked away and left me standing ALONE at the front desk. The staffer only returned when another customer approached and needed help. I stepped to the side, waited for the staffer to return to the front desk and took her photograph.

I then attached that photograph to a complaint to HOTWIRE, the owner of the hotel Intercontinental Hotel Group and sent a copy to the Asst. GM Mr. Pat Foley. Fortunately, Hotwire took the matter very seriously. Unfortunately, Mr. Foley did not. I sent him the complaint on August 30 after speaking to him by phone and giving him a heads up that the complaint was coming. He failed to acknowledge receipt of my complaint. I left two voicemails for him and I finally got a confirmation on September 6.

In the meantime, I will probably contact the GM and follow up with IHG since Mr. Foley failed to squash the issue. Hotwire went above and beyond. I would absolutely recommend reporting this "smack talking" hotel clerk to Hotwire if she allows those words to come out of her mouth again. I didn't call Hotwire to receive perks but they did impress me with their response. Now, let's see how IHG handles it. So far, so good. IHG responded to my tweet on Twitter. I think I"ve complained to over 15 of my closest friends by now.

Mr. Foley, you had a chance to bring this to a close - too bad you blew it. So the saga drags on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear 200NitesAYear,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the staff may have caused during your stay. I will follow up with the staff to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

My husband And I loved our one night stay. The view from our room on the 7th floor was spectacular. We were coming from an awful Econo Lodge the previous night, so we felt that we had died and gone to Heaven. Didn't like the extra charge for parking, but it wasn't a deal breaker. We would stay there again for sure. Great restaurant with Blues and Jazz music down the Street.

• Stayed August 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The staff was not friendly upon arrival they were more concerned with what they were going to wear later on that night. When I got to my room it had not been cleaned. There were empty beer bottles everywhere. I went back downstairs and they gave me a different room. Even the new room was not up to standard. I had a very busy schedule so I just kept it. The beds were old, the room smelled, the hallways and elevators did too, the bathroom was just wiped down apparently. Later on that day I spoke to others who said the same thing. The breakfast was not good and all the juice and water was gone and they did not offer more. The location is great which makes it soo sad for this hotel to be so terrible. I think with the right staff and owners this place could be amazing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear nallar,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write your review of our hotel. I am pleased to know that you liked our location. I'm sorry to see you received service from our staff that was less than satisfactory and for giving you rooms that were not cleaned. In addition, I am sorry that our breakfast was not up to your expectations. Rest assured that these issues will be most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Hartford you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!