“love the breakfast and breakfast room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103 (Formerly Capitol Hill Ramada)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Detroit, Michigan
“love the breakfast and breakfast room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

There wasn't anything particularly splendid or horrible about this hotel, so I'll just mention the things I liked, and the things that weren't as nice. Regarding the positives, the hotel is in an excellent location near the highways. The breakfast was terrific - healthy variety of items plus fresh pancakes and four hot items (usually eggs and meats). The breakfast area is huge and spacious, and overlooks a park and the Capitol - such a beautiful and serene scene. Also, the woman who sets up the breakfast is super friendly and helpful (wish I caught her name). There was free wireless internet throughout the hotel which was excellent, and paid parking out back (free to Priority Club members). Overall the hotel staff were responsive. Regarding the room, when I entered it was literally spotless clean and the heater was already on. The A/C/heater is a split unit that works really well. The room size was good, and the bed was comfortable. TV was flat screen with lots of channels.

Regarding the drawbacks, none of them were bad enough to prevent me from staying here again. However, first some spaces were cramped: bathroom was tiny with nearly no counter space (but love the marble floors and showerhead), business center had one computer, laundry room had one washer and dryer, and fitness room had just a few machines. They all served their purpose though. Although it was unexpectedly quiet considering that the hotel was booked solid, I could hear some noises (like alarm clock in room next door and woman singing in the hall) and on one midnight there was some kind of fight at the bar/club across the parking lot and even with 7 floors below me plus the entire parking lot I could hear word for word what people including the police were saying. But I guess that's what happens when practically the entire wall is window - great sunlight and view, but more noise.

By the way, the Holiday Inn website says this hotel has a microwave and fridge in the rooms, but I didn't have any in mine.

Finally, a tip - there are a few places to eat within a block of each direction of the hotel. However, I discovered a place with GREAT Mediterranean food and pizza called Aladdin. It's right around the corner (on Asylum with your back to the hotel, walk left, turn left on High and turn right at 121 Allyn st). I almost didn't see it since the shade covers most of the name.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

The hotel has a superb location near the Amtrak and coach buses! It's literally a two minute walk from the Amtrak and coach buses to the hotel. The hotel I would say has an average staff. There not very friendly but they are not terrible either. They supply you with free toothbrushes if you forgot to pack one. There is a business center in which you can log in to use a PC, to check your email and business work. Breakfast is great and across the street as a massive park called Bushnell Park. It's a great park, clean spacious with great architecture. The rooms are not that big but for all purposes it was fine. I would recommend to go if you are concerned in being next to transportation. I hope this review helped.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have chosen to stay here several times over the past 3 years and have not seen any upgrades or attempts to refresh the dated and tired interior. I hope the hotel receives some investment in the very near future or the standard will slip below the 'fresh, simple, clean' ethos behind the Holiday Inn Express brand.

I recommend asking for a room with a view as it is really nice. Breakfast is a good value for money selection (as with all Expresses). The Reception staff aren't the most friendly! Excellent location in downtown Hartford. I've never experienced an issue with cleanliness.

TIP: I have only learned on my most recent stay that guest parking is free for Priority Club members (the loyalty scheme by IHG). As it is free to join Priority Club, there is no loss in joining for the free parking alone as well as the loyalty points of your stay!

Room Tip: Join IHG's loyalty program, the Priority Club, to get free additional benefits
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Nice hotel. Great view of the capitol. Nice park out front.
Quiet. Clean.
Friendly Staff.
Kudos Jessica.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Abington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I needed overnight lodging in downtown Hartford, CT with parking but at a reasonable cost. On Oct. 28, 2011 my husband and I were attending a Justice of the Peace Conference being held at the Capitol Building, and I was thrilled to find a hotel within walking distance from my destination at such a reasonable rates both for the room- booked through AAA for $ 110 + tax - and for the parking - $13.

I am a member of the Priority Club, so I asked if I could leave the car parked at the hotel while I attended the conference; not only I was told I could and my parking was free of charge, but I could take advantage of a late check-out in case I wanted to freshen up before embarking on my trip back to MA.

When we arrived I became apprehensive since I am accustomed to find assistance with the luggage if needed; I certainly needed assistance, but there was only one clerk at the counter and she was busy with another guest. I was able to handle the problem while my husband was minding the car waiting to be directed to a parking space. Turned out that there was no assigned space, but a tag was given to place on the rear-view mirror to identify us as hotel guests.

At check-in we were greeted by the clerk with a friendly smile, offered a free bag of snacks of our choice and a bottle of water for each of us as a welcome gift for being Club members and informed that our room had been upgraded to the Priority level; in our case to the top floor, but let me tell you about the room ….. #906 is a superb guest room. It is very comfortable, spacious, it was clean and best of all was the VIEW! The picture window was framing the State Capitol Building and between there and the hotel it was the Park with the beautiful fountain, such a view!

Make sure you do not get a room facing the parking area if you are ‘mature’ individuals, in the evening the entertainment at the club behind the hotel can be loud, the band plays till midnight. From our room we had no disturbances although there were young people in the park who had too much to drink and the police came to disburse them.

We knew that a breakfast was offered at the conference, but we decided that it was better for us to eat at the hotel in case when we got to the conference we had no time to eat. Good choice ..... We had a good breakfast in the lounge/dining area on the 2nd floor, for being complimentary it was not just a ‘continental’ one but rather one with a well stocked selection of food.

We left the car parked there after checking out, I had decided not to take advantage of the late departure offer, walked through the park to the Capitol Building; when the conference was over we walked back to the hotel and picked up the car and drove home.

Please ask for Room # 906 if available, if not the one next to it.

The October snow storm arrived in Hartford the next day, I am very grateful that I had left before it happened!!!

Room Tip: Again I would suggest Room # 906 -
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Plano, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have stayed at a number of Holiday Inn Express hotels over the past 2-3 years, and what always struck me was the value you received for the price. Large modern rooms with the amenities of a more expensive hotel. This Hartford property was disappointing in that regard. The bathroom was very small, with mold on the shower curtains, paint peeling from the ceiling, a slow leak from the bathroom faucet. The room was clean, but needed work. The sheets were practically threadbare.

The wall paper had some stains on it. The tv was a tube, circa 1998.

One of the elevators was out of service, so there was only one working elevator. Those things happen, but it just added to the negative impression.

On the plus side, the staff was cheerful and accommodating.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I was lucky enough to get a last minute cancellation room at the Holiday Inn for the night before the Hartford Marathon. This hotel overlooks the park and is a mere few feet away from the start line...the closest hotel by far to the park. I have stomach problems, and having a close hotel is important to me after a race so I can 1) get there easily and 2) have privacy to do my business and chill for awhile if I need to. The location was great but the 11am checkout made me nervous. The hotel had a no late-checkout policy b/c they were booked solid the Friday and Saturday of the weekend. But when I asked and explained to them my situation they were accommodating and extended my checkout until noon...which was greatly helpful.

This is definitely just a standard Holiday Inn. I was nervous after reading some of the previous reviews about the decor, smell and cleanliness, but I found my room to be more than nice and clean.

I would definitely recommend the hotel especially for Marathon weekend if you are lucky enough to get a room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hartford-Downtown? Share your experiences!