“Excellent Entrees - mediocre dessert” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Firebox Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 408 Restaurants in Hartford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitol Avenue
Transit: Adjacent to city transportation routes, and within blocks of the train station.
Canton, Connecticut
“Excellent Entrees - mediocre dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our daughter expressed a desire to eat at the Firebox, so we took her there for her 22nd birthday dinner this weekend. It was certainly an enjoyable evening - the appetizers and entrees were very good. The service was good, although it was slow at time, but it gave us time to digest the food between courses. The S'mores dessert, however, left a lot to be desired. It was very tiny, the cake was dry and the scoop of ice cream was almost non-existent. The marshmallow was good, but it was certainly not worth the $10 price tag! The prices are spendy, but it is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Connecticut
“Good food, very expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was my second trip to this restaurant, the first being in November 2011. The ingredients are fresh, the menu interesting and unusual. My salad was nothing to write home about..being a simple salad with organic mixed lettuces, a few super thin slices of radish, a bit of tomato, a bit of cheese and a vinaigrette dressing. My husbands spring vegetable soup was nothing more than simple broth with lots of fresh peas, bits of cauliflower and carrots. My main course of beef was fork tender and my husbands organic chicken perfectly cooked. There was plenty to eat and being full, we did not have dessert. I would not run back to this restaurant as we felt it was very expensive.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Middletown, Connecticut
“Impressive food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I love their menu! Chef always creates interesting dishs. A little expensive but worth your $. I recently had the sweet peo gnocci for lunch which blew my mind how it was. Very good wine too! Just wish it was located in a better park of Hartford (be careful of the very sketchy street it's located on and make sure you lock your doors). Inside is very nice so you'll quickly forget the part of town you're in. Sam is the best bartender/waitress I've ever had!

Visited March 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
“Alice Waters in Hartford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Three times we've visited Hartford and three times we have eaten at the Firebox. Great local ingredients, well prepared food, pleasant atmosphere. Who would have thought such a place could prosper here, but it does and long may it last.

Visited May 2013
Troy, Michigan
“stopped going”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I was a regular there when they used to serve their calamari salad, which in my view was the best I had ever tried in my life. They made it with arugula and antipasti, and unfortunately I haven't found anything quite like it since.

• Visited June 2012