“Bed bugs!!” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   207 Brainard Road, Hartford, CT 06114   |
Ranked #8 of 10 hotels in Hartford
“Bed bugs!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed their for an overnight and got infected with bedbugs, over 100 bites all over my body. Management quickly refunded the cost of the room and apologized. They said they cleaned it up but it was a horrible experience!

• Stayed May 2013

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Westminster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Good location, fair price, but place still needs a lot of work. Furniture left at end of hall, not complete bathroom renovation. First room we tried had very annoying whining noise coming from air conditioner below. Nice person at front desk gave us another room. Breakfast skimpy, no fruit or juice, just coffee & rolls. Bottom line: don't bother.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Mount Ephraim, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I'm going to try and make this review as thorough as possible. Let's face it, it's Days Inn. Not a 5 star hotel. Anyway, my boyfriend and I decided we wanted to get away for a few days. We've both never been to Connecticut before, and being on a budget, this Days Inn was the cheapest place to stay for a couple nights. I wasn't expecting anything fancy. For starters, this hotel is WAY smaller than it seems in pictures. There's 3 floors, but it is a small building. When we went to check in, the man at the front desk was nice. He gave us our room key without an issue. It seemed clean from there. The elevator's floor looks like it's splattered with blood (don't worry, it's the design of the tiles) but still! It was creepy. Our room was 219 on the second floor. As soon as you enter the hallway from the elevator, it stinks like marijuana and possibly dead rotting carcasses, lol. No lie though. The hallways smell really bad. Anyway, I've seen previous reviews that the elevator seemed like it was going to break. The only thing I noticed is that it jerks every time you arrive to your floor and the door is about to open, and when you take off and start going up. Now, to the rooms. My boyfriend and I had the standard room with a king size bed. Room is a bit small, but I didn't expect it to be big or anything. Even though the room is non-smoking, it still smelled like smoke at times, and there were even cigarette burn holes in the comforter, and on some of the chairs in the room. There's a decent sized mini fridge with small freezer compartment, microwave, and a small coffee maker. A desk, 3 chairs, and an old tube tv are there as well. There is basic cable, which is better than nothing. The bathroom is small, and the sink is actually outside the bathroom. 2 big mirrors are in the room. The bathroom seemed semi-clean, the tub had some stains. I've seen reviews where people say the carpet was filthy, but ours wasn't bad. No stains or anything. The sheets on the bed are really clean, which is a huge deal for me; if they were dirty I probably would have left. The mattress is very firm. If you like a soft pillowy bed, you'll hate this one. Extra pillows are in the room. The one thing that really annoyed me about this room was that there was a loud squeaking noise constantly, meaning it didn't stop from the time we got there to the time we left. It sounded like it was coming from a pipe or something in the ceiling. Imagine the sound of a boiling tea kettle or a cricket chirping, non stop! We ended up having to sleep with the tv on both nights to kind of zone it out, along with our fridge making a weird tapping sound too. I saw a review where someone said that people were being very loud outside at late times, but none of that happened when we were here. Sometimes you'd hear doors slamming at random times, but other than that, it wasn't too bad. On a better note, the air conditioning works very well. You can adjust the temperature yourself, and even turn on the heat. The view from the window in the room sucks, there were always men working on the roof of the abandoned building next to the hotel. They offer free continental breakfast every morning from 6-10. There's a tiny area in the lobby with a few tables and where they set the food up. What they have are bagels, muffins, danishes, cereals, sometimes fruit, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, apple juice, and orange juice. If there is food left over, they will leave it out after 10. Not bad for being free. There is a toaster as well so you can toast your bagel.
By this time it is check out day. We handed the room key to the front desk person, and we said we needed a cab to head back to the bus terminal. The man gladly agreed to call us a cab, even though our bus wasn't scheduled to leave until 1 pm. It was 11 am at that point, and we didn't want a cab until 12. The nice guy at the front desk told us we could stay in our rooms until the cab came even though check out time is 11, and he told the maid to skip our room for cleaning. That was very nice of him. He asked us if we would like him to put out extra breakfast for us, but we politely declined. If it wasn't for him, I don't think I would have liked this hotel much. The staff is very nice and accommodating.
The location of this hotel is right across the street from an airport, but shockingly there's no loud noise. There is a sign on the fence that the area is at high risk for terrorist attacks (which was really alarming.) Since we didn't drive there, we had to rely on the bus services. There is a 59 bus about a 5 minute walk from the hotel, but they stop running around the evening time, and don't run at all on Sundays. If you're going to stay at this hotel, it would be best to drive a car, because it's more on the outskirts of the city. Places you'll actually want to be are about 3 miles away from this hotel. There are fast food places very close by, gas stations, and a restaurant. There is also a Holiday Inn right next door.
I think I covered everything. To sum things up, if you're looking for a cheap place to crash, are on a budget, and aren't picky, this place will do. Would I stay here again? Well, if I ever came back to Connecticut without a car, probably not. I would want something closer to the attractions. But if I drove my car up here, maybe. It would have been so much quicker and easier to get downtown rather than relying on the CT Transit buses. Would I recommend this hotel to you? Yeah. I mean it's affordable, and better than sleeping in a roach infested motel somewhere. This hotel is supposedly renovating according to signs posted in the lobby, and it really does need it. If you're looking for something higher-end, this really isn't the place for you. But for cheapos like me, it works. :)

• Stayed August 2013
buffalo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

It's cheap and you get cheap. It would be more tolerable if they cleaned the rugs, but I am not fond of staying in a room where I don't want to put my bare feet on the floor.
The only good thing I can say is that the staff are very pleasant.

Room Tip: there's a Holiday Inn Express next door - has to be a better option
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dover
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The hotel was pretty quiet despite being near I-91 and across from Hartford-Brainard Airport (HFD), a Class D general aviation airport. I stayed here for two nights and heard only muffled sounds from three airplanes---none early in the AM or late PM.
And, considering that my room was near the front lobby, it was quiet after 11:00 PM. The room and bathroom were clean. The room had two comfortable double beds, microwave, fridge, alarm clock, in-room coffeemaker, desk, and sitting area. In morning there was a free USA Today and continental breakfast.
The hotel also has a small fitness center with three machines.
I liked the location. It was away from the congestion of the downtown area. It was in the southeast section of the city. It was two doors down from the USS Chowder Pot IV, a nice restaurant that features seafood but offers beef and chicken dishes, too. It’s listed on TripAdvisor as Chowder Pot IV. I’ve reviewed that, too. The hotel is about ½ mile from fast food at Burger King and Dunkin’ Donuts. There are gasoline stations nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Days Inn Hartford? Share your experiences!