“Rooms, View, Location, Amenities - seem really tired...” 3 of 5 stars

50 Morgan Street, Hartford, CT 06120   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Newington, Connecticut
“Rooms, View, Location, Amenities - seem really tired...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I once considered this hotel, standing oh so near to the highway, a luxurious quick escape to artists and bands performing in Hartford...not really going in to see what it was all about. But since my visit on business, I came across a bunch of pros and cons to this hotel.

The location of this hotel is very convenient when eyeballing it from the highway, but there is only one major road you can access the front of the building on if visiting or dropping your bags off, otherwise, you need to access the parking garage, which so happens to also be near the front entrance, and one on the other side of the hotel. The front desk greeted me and were very quick and courteous when assigning me my room. The lobby was in a great shape and seemed very festive when the colors and places to sit. What REALLY won me over was the fruit water placed in the lobby. To me, that little gesture tells me that they don't mess around with customer service (While visiting in California, the Omni Resort I stayed at did the same and it was both healthy and refreshing).

I was placed on the 8th floor. Upon entering the room, I quickly caught glimpse of a few minor things that were displeasing, for example, the temperature of the room seemed clammy, the broken in doorstop on the wall - I also had a hard time understanding how the desk lamp turned on, it took me a while to figure it out. The beds weren't as comfortable as I anticipated, but since I wasn't staying too long and too much in the rooms due to business, as long as they could get me to sleep at night, I was alright with it.

I was impressed with the bathroom. The size, the cleanliness, and the amount of toiletries at my disposal. My only issue with it was there was no "fart fan". I'm a guy and a guy likes to fart. Thank goodness I was the only one in the room during the stay.

The view from my window wasn't what I expected, but there really isn't much to do about that, besides turning the whole hotel around, which let's be honest, not happening anytime...My view consisted of a HUGE parking lot, the "Welcome To Hartford" bridge (which was nice), and an empty pool with sand in it. Although I was on business, I did pack my luggage to enjoy a nice dip in a pool if it was available. Since my business was in summer, I was disappointed to see no water in the pool.

I didn't park at the hotel, but at the time I believe the price was $10 a night. Since the hotel is based in Hartford and parking is crazy scary sometimes, the price seemed to fit the security of the parking garage. This is a REALLY big help if you decide to stay at this hotel when coming to Hartford for a concert at the Xfinity Center.

Along with my stay on business, I got to enjoy a free breakfast buffet at the Z Cafe on the first floor. Since I am an average guy, I enjoyed the prepared quantity food like scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, potatoes, coffee. There was an option for french toast or omelette, and from the sight of the other guests, they seem to enjoy it. A normal breakfast buffet for a normal guest ranges from $10-$16.

******SO!
Pros and Cons:

Pros:
Location
Price
Quiet
Lobby
Guest Service
Air Conditioning (my room was cold as the dickens!)

Cons:
Location
Various room flaws
Lack of pool
Not as comfortable bed as imagined

An average room for an average stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

The Radisson Hotel Hartford just feels old. The rooms and bathrooms are worn out and need a huge remodel and cleaning. The gym was a real disappointment. Only one of the treadmills worked well enough to get my workout done on (barely). One didn't work at all, one kept slowing down then surged ahead on its own and the other had an issue with the running belt (it was stretched too tight and sat high above the running deck). All the treadmills need to be replaced!! The workout ball was flat and the TV's didn't work in the gym. The pool was closed for maintenance. A buddy and I grabbed a drink and some food in the lobby bar/restaurant and the young lady behind the bar acted like she was doing us a favor by waiting on us (total attitude). The hotel is in a Good location, walking distance to many bars and restaurants down town. If you're looking for an average place to rest for a night it will suffice.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Statesboro, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was formerly a Crowne Plaza. There are definite positives and minuses about the hotel. First, the rooms are very nice. There's also a nice restaurant and lounge downstairs. The hotel offers a shuttle, but like almost any hotel, you should reserve it as they cater to pilots and flight attendants and run a shuttle to the airport that takes priority.

Room service is a bit expensive; not surprising for any hotel. I'd rate overall service higher, but housekeeping is poor; room service trays are left in hallways for extended periods; my last room there were two wine glasses that sat outside my room AS I was checking in (room 801) and remained until I checked out, and I saw numerous trays in the hallway.

The difficulty with this hotel is the location; it's on the wrong side of the interstate. While downtown is a short walk, it's up a hill past a vacant lot, and across a dangerous bridge. Take the shuttle. This is why it's a bargain on Priceline (not the bidding rates, but the prepaid rates).

Room Tip: Anything on a high floor is fine. The view is better on the east/north side; on the south/west side...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

we stayed one night - first night in town for a conference, and shifted over to the hotel attached to the conference centre the next day. it was a little exciting getting to the hotel, but I'd taken a look at google maps previously, so had a reasonable idea of where we were headed.
instructions at the front desk were a little off about how to get to parking, but we managed to figure it out.
room was relatively comfortable. certainly not new - but did not appear dirty. the bathroom fixtures were in need of a renovation, but everything worked. we were on an upper floor, so traffic noise from the highway immediately adjacent was not bad.
the room was relatively large, so comfortable. a welcome place to stay after a long day driving. the bed was comfortable, no complaints.

Room Tip: rooms on upper floors are quieter - major highway immediately adjacent.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Robert S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Hartford, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are in the process of upgrading the bathroom fixtures as well as many other features of the hotel. We hope you will visit us again soon and see all the improvements. We appreciate your business.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Room is old, worn, not well maintained. Hairdryer provided is the kind that is attached the wall - probably as old as the hotel (how hard is supplying a regular blow dryer?). Tiny shampoo / conditioner bottles were not replenished by housekeeping. Dirty towels were left on my chair... I assume forgotten by the housekeeper.

Outlets to power multiple devices are inconvenient - one on the desk (good)...others behind bed and other furniture. TV reception is poor. A food tray sat outside a room for a full day and a half (was there when I checked in and still there when I checked out). Full trash cans never seemed to be emptied - at least not during my stay. Just a very, very old hotel that has not been refreshed to accommodate ordinary expectations for business travel.

Last, the hotel is not central to downtown. It is walkable, but across very busy streets. Taxis can be requested at the front desk but the wait is 5 to 20 mins.

I gave 2 stars only because the staff is friendly. Not worth the room rate - no value to the customer

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Robert S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Hartford, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. A renovation of the hotel is now beginning which will address many of the issues you mentioned. We hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to the area.

Travelers are raving about these Hartford hotels

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I'm here on a business trip and I brought my partner along as a vacation because I was going to use this special time and be getting engaged on this trip. I had so many fun things planned and since there is a conference in the city, I felt lucky to get a room.
We booked the room, and was not warned, not even when checking in, was not notified at any time and didn't find out until we put on our bathing suits and went to the pool to find out it was closed due to maintenance.
Now I'm stuck. A possible romantic trip, no quality rooms left in the city, and not even any sort of warning that all amenities are not available. And no offer of compensation either for such a possible memorable life experience. I'm still here, stuck in this room, warning you as a potential guest to check other places first

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Robert S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Hartford, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete the guest review on Trip Advisor. We are sorry that the pool was under repair. Unfortunately, the harsh winter caused damage beyond our control. It should be up and running within a few days as we are working on it diligently to reopen it. We hope you enjoyed the rest of our facilities while staying with us and hope that you will not keep this situation from preventing you from staying with us on your next trip to our area.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Recently checked out. Dirty place, hair in sink and tub and bedding, carpets stained up, mold here and there.

Was told the hotel van radius is 2 miles, however that is only 2 miles if it somewhere they want to take you. When I asked to go to the Mark Twain house <2 miles away they said "We don't go there". It was explained that it is not 2 miles from the hotel its 2 miles from the city center. Google maps actually reports its closer to the city center than the hotel, but rather than lose a debate about the arbitrary definition of the city center and trying to understand its relevancy, I'm was happy to be packing my bags.

Room Tip: Rooms in another property are likely cleaner.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Robert S, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Hartford, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We are sorry about the inconveniences that you encountered.The vans that are you speaking about are run by Pro Park Transportation which transport flight crew to and from the airport. We are sorry if there was confusion about this. I shared your other comments with our team so we can correct the problems you reported. We are renovating the hotel and hope that you will try us again on your next stay in the area.

Been to Radisson Hotel Hartford? Share your experiences!