“good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Berwyn, United States
“good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Overall, a good experience. Good breakfast, clean room and priced correct. Parking costs are too high however. I was pleased with the overall stay. I would recommend it for those who need a kitchen and where the downtown is convenient for your needs.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

HomewoodHartordDOS, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Homewood Suites Hartford Downtown. We are so glad you were pleased with our accommodations. I appreciate your comments regarding parking; however they are standard in downtown Hartford. Our rates are actually at the lower end of the spectrum. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Checked into the hotel and was given a room that overlooked an outside bar next door. Noise was too loud and got moved to another room. About 1:00 AM called the front desk to complain about noise and was told that the police were there. Looked out on the street and there were probably 50-60 people hanging around with 3-4 cop cars. Settled down about 2:00AM, but not very condusive for a business trip. Paid $240 a night based on a business contact recommendation and not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
I'm sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. We understand the importance of a good night's rest while traveling and we appreciate your feedback. Our convenient downtown location is close to the entertainment district where noise can sometimes be a factor in the warmer months. Guestrooms not facing the street tend to be more quiet. Please consider staying with us again if your travels take you to our area.
Locust Grove, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This facility is located close to my business and thus no need for a car rental. The staff is wonderful and the accommodations are great. I would refer and have definitelly referred others to this facility.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for being our loyal guest. Our staff bends over backwards to make sure every guest experience is a memorable one. We truly appreciate the time you took to share your comments.
Wethersfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Every day returning to the lot was stressful; not enough parking. You get wedged in and need to drive over sidewalks to get out. Every Thursday-Sunday night expect to hear booming music and loud yelling from nightclubs right outside your window and police activity at 2 am. The smell of rug deodorizer was overwhelming and caused my daughter's asthma to flare up.

The staff was very helpful. Rooms were large. TV reception was intermittent.

• Stayed May 2014
HomewoodHartordDOS, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I apologize that your stay fell short of expectations. Your comments help us to understand and continuously enhance our guests' experience.
Topeka, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Very nice hotel and amenities, but not in a great neighborhood. Located in a bar district downtown and lots shady characters around. Definitely wouldn't go out alone at night. It has been refurbished from a very old hotel, so you can hear noises from hall, from neighboring rooms, and from outside. But - breakfast is great and so is lite supper, and the staff is super nice and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for choosing the Homewood Suites Hartford Downtown during your recent stay in the Hartford area. We know you have many choices when choosing a hotel. Our staff takes tremendous pride in servicing our guests. We're so glad you took the time to tell us. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.
Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I arrived at 2:30PM on May 6 and was told to come back at 3pm for check-in. Fair enough. When I returned, I was told it'd be a bit longer. I (and two other guests) waited until about 4:20 before I was finally allowed to check in. I was told that the owner was giving tours of certain rooms (apparently mine?), and I did see the owner and his group walking around earlier. Extremely unprofessional to keep us waiting for that long past the regular check-in time. I was going to attend a session at the conference I was in town for but could not because of the long wait. On my last day, I returned to the room at 4pm to find that it still had not been cleaned. I could understand that the room would not be clean by 1pm necessarily, but 4pm? I called the front desk about it but I didn't want to have to leave to get it cleaned because I was "in" for the night, so when the housekeeper came to the door I just took new towels. The housekeeper was pleasant but the situation was not professional. When I checked out, I was trying to pay for the 1st 3 nights on my work credit card, the last night was to be paid on a personal card. I actually made separate reservations to assist in this process. The day before I checked out, I thought I explained this to the lady at the front desk, but she put everything on my personal credit card. So I had to get her to fix the problem very early the next day, almost missing my bus to the hotel because it took a while (ten minutes or more). I am not sure why such a transaction would be that uncommon or difficult to perform. Again, the service was fine, but the situation was frustrating. If any one of these situations had occurred, I would have been fine. But the fact that three things like this happened made me fairly dissatisfied.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

HomewoodHartordDOS, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent visit. I apologize that your stay fell short of expectations. Please consider staying with us the next time you are in our area so we can provide the experience you deserve.
Aalborg, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

First warning: NOT for families with children.

Pros:

Friendly staff.
Large rooms.
Full kitchen.
Downtown location.

Cons:

NO INSULATION. Every conceivable squeak and rattle can be heard. Built in the 1950's and last decorated in the 1980's. In my room, I had the choice of the windows overlooking the parking lot and the homeless rabble, or, the back of a 3rd level outside bar where the drunks (I mean patrons) next door hang out all night every night. Closing the drapes and bedroom doors had no impact on that noise or the running toilet in my room that woke me up every hour (never fixed).

I have stayed exclusively at Hilton properties for the last several years and in particular the Homewood Suites affiliates. This one was way down on the scale:

1) The food was not only bland, but not diverse and the quantities skimpy.
2) A false sense of security with overkill. Cameras everywhere - but people wandering in and out at random through the lobby.
3) Exorbitant parking fees: $17 for overnight.
4) A tiny space for a gym with...NO A/C. Oh, they had a portable in there one day, but the next it was gone leaving the room at over 80 degrees. Two treadmills. One elliptical. One small bench and some free weights.
5) A real maze to get around. It takes longer to get to my room than to go to the
parking lot.
6) I mentioned friendly staff? Well, friendly, yes, but unable to execute the slightest instructions like "may have toilet paper delivered between 8 and 5 when I am at work."
7) There is nothing to do in this nothing happening downtown. You entertain plenty of risk going out after dark. One of the less safe feeling downtowns I have been in, in a long time.
8) There are no convenience stores, indeed, no shopping of any kind. You must have a car.
The closest grocery store / Walmart / Target, etc. is 15 minutes by highway, West. The hotel shop did not even have plain bottled water.

While not perfect, these folks need to visit the Salt Lake City Homewood and get some pointers on guest service and comfort - particularly since on of the main features of Homewood is the Monday through Thursday breakfast / dinner service.

VERY PRICEY considering the lack of amenities and hassles encountered here.
Maybe market rate, but no value added at all.

I really like Hilton, but never staying at this property again.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. I asked for a change. None available and I was told they were all iden...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HomewoodHartordDOS, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share this detailed feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment, as we utilize guest commentary in our ongoing efforts to provide quality accommodations and service. A multi-million dollar renovation will take place this year. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. We welcome any additional feedback you would like to share with our offices directly.

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!