“Hartford Jazz Festival Hotel Stay” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   338 Asylum Street, Hartford, CT 06103   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Lancaster, United States
“Hartford Jazz Festival Hotel Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Had a wonderful time in Hartford. The Homewood Suites was the best location to participate in the Hartford Jazz Festival. It was walking distance, very clean, the staffs were great and hot and cold breakfast was available. I will probably stay there again for next year, if I go.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hartford, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The rooms are spacious, clean and modern. The location is a short walk to the Hartford Jazz Festival and close to local attractions. Black Eyed Susans, a New Orleans style restaurant right next door, is an amazing find. I will be coming back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Utica, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I like having a small kitchen with a fridge so I usually stay here when visiting Hartford, CT; it's also a very convenient location for work. The rooms have always been very clean and I think the quality of furnishings, comfort of the bed are very nice for the price point. Internet has worked well for me with my IPad. The staff have always been very pleasant and helpful. If you are on a budge the breakfast and evening meal make for great budget. I don't take advantage of it as I'm vegan - would be nice if they did offer a bit more that is vegan friendly but I'm sure this isn't an issue for most visitors.

Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our visit in July 2013 was a rather underwhelming experience. Having never stayed at this hotel, our family of four (two parents and two teen girls) took a chance and booked a two-bedroom suite for an annual weekend trip; however, we were initially given a one-bedroom suite with a queen bed and a fold-out couch (total sleeping room for three people). To the hotel staff's credit, when we notified them of the problem, we were immediately moved to a two-bedroom/two-bath suite that offered plenty of room for the four of us.

For the price (typically around $250 per night), the suite was accommodating and provided all advertised amenities, such as free high-speed Internet access and a kitchenette with a full-size refrigerator, microwave, cook top, dishes, and a dishwasher. The living room and bedrooms all had televisions, and this allowed everyone to wind down at the end of the day and flip through the channels without having to fight over what to watch. The bedrooms were spacious and clean with ample room in each for two people and our stuff (i.e., luggage, laptops, and other essentials, etc.). The beds were comfortable and had more than enough pillows. The décor was a bit dated, but, more importantly, the suite was very clean, and there were plenty of fresh towels available.

Next, on our floor, the door that allowed access into the hallway where our room was located was broken. This meant that when we tried to return to our room from the elevator, the key-card did not work, the door remained locked, and we could not get down the hall to the door of our suite. Therefore, we had to go all the way back down to the lobby and ask for assistance. Eventually, we were escorted upstairs by a helpful staff person, who unlocked the door to the hallway where our suite was located and allowed us to get to our door.

As we were leaving our room in the early evening on the first day of our visit, this door--meant for security--was propped open with a cardboard cup. Upon returning from dinner, the cup was crumpled near the door, and we were locked out of our hallway again. After another return visit to the lobby, a helpful staff member brought us up, let us in, and unlocked the door permanently. Although the security door to the hall was now accessible to all, we were just relieved to be able to get to our hallway and our room more easily. On further reflection, the security door seems a bit like overkill. Room doors are really strong and secure enough. One slightly picky complaint was that the ice and vending alcove had only an ice machine. Because of the security doors, we did not have access to vending machines in other hallways on our floor or any floor. The only convenience snacks and drinks available had to be purchased in the little store in the lobby.

One bright spot was the breakfast that was available in the small, self-service dining area near the lobby. A mix of hot foods (e.g., eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, home fried potatoes, etc.) and cold foods (e.g., donuts, bagels, yogurt, cereal, fruit, etc.) were included. There were usually enough tables available for guest eating breakfast. Unfortunately, the staff who restocked breakfast buffet did not attempt to clean any tables during lulls between groups of diners. This meant that crumbs and other remnants of previous diners were left on the tables. Certainly, it is easy for guests to wipe off a table before and after eating, but it still felt a bit icky, especially when someone else’s sticky syrup did not get wiped off of tables properly. Dry napkins just cannot do the job of a wet cloth on syrup. Once we brushed off the table and laid out napkins like place mats to avoid getting syrup on our arms, we did enjoy hearty breakfasts on each morning of our weekend stay.

Another plus for this hotel was the noon (12 p.m.) check-out time. This allowed us a leisurely morning on the day we were leaving. Although there were some issues during our stay, the front-desk staff was helpful, friendly, and accommodating during our weekend visit. I am not sure if we would stay in this particular hotel again as we make a yearly visit to a convention held in Hartford. We will see what next year brings.

Room Tip: It is easy to get around: Hartford offers the Star Shuttle, which is a free bus that travels to all...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mountain View, Cambodia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is mediocre. But the location is a little seedy. No one at hotel told me about the parking restrictions. And next day, I found they were getting my car towed away. I had to pay the tow guy $100 and then the manager came and persuaded the tow guy not to take the car away, since I had already paid him.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed in the Homewood Suites on a number of business trips to Hartford and have always been pleased. Compared to other hotels the rooms are quite large with a kitchen area and dining area. Some of the suites are bigger than others and some even have two bathrooms! This is more than ample for one person, but would easily be comfortable for a family. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. I would echo some other reviewers that sometimes it can be noisy due to the restaurant next door. The breakfast that is included in the room rate is also a nice plus. Perhaps my only complaint is that the hallways are really warm and don't seem to have any air conditioning at all, which is unpleasant in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from Black Eyed Sally's.
Huntersville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was a guest of the Homewood Suites twice in the month of June for business two weeks part. I got two different room configurations but had very similar experiences overall. Check-in was a breeze. Myrna checked me in both times and remembered me the second week when I returned.

Both rooms were clean and neat. My first room had the kitchen as part of the main room while the second stay ave me a room with a separate bedroom. Beds were comfortable and bath amenities were nice. TVs were flat screens and the channel choice was very old. The room also had free wifi which I used both times.

The breakfast was fine in the morning. It had a decent variety and was hot. The snacks at night were good, but it would have been nice to have a diet soda. I didn't want beer or wine and was just looking for a soft drink but could not drink iced tea. I was directed o the lobby to buy a diet coke. Not too big a deal, but how much old a can of diet coke have cost them.

All in all a very good stay in downtown Hartford and I would return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!