“Detailed review of a downtown Hartford property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Points!
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Atlanta, Georgia
“Detailed review of a downtown Hartford property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My partner and I went to CT to have our civil ceremony preformed and decided to stay downtown as it seemed central to many things. We booked online via the hotel site and I continued to monitor it for drops and changes etc. until a few days before departure. We were able to get a slight discount of about $90 and upgrade our room to a King suite instead of a studio suite about a week before. I was concerned about the parking which is $16.00 a night but we decided to park in the lot across the street not owned by the hotel for $10.00 a night. Note there are 3 parking lots right by the hotel if you decide not to park there. We never had a problem with the lot even though there were events and daily commuters coming to work, we just planned accordingly.

Room wasn't ready when we checked in at 2 PM. No issue for us we left our luggage and went to lunch. We asked for a room high up due to noise that previous reviewers posted about but when we returned about 4 PM we were told all they had for our room type was 4th floor on the side of Black Eyed Sally's Jazz/Bar/Restaurant. We decided to take it this was not a "get some rest" trip. The front desk clerk also told us with the building being so old we would hear the noise regardless of the floor we were on. I'm a light sleeper and I slept fine. Front desk personnel was fine I think one of them her name was Myra she was more friendly and pleasant always spoke and had a smile on her face.

Room was normal suite mini kitchen with all the things you need while away from home, table to eat at separate living room with pull out sofa and chair. Separate bedroom and a total of 2 TV's. Side note we did not use the sofa bed so cannot comment on it, the bed was decent and the pillows wonderful. This si not my house so it doesn't have to be decorated based on my taste Id didn't care if the sofa and the chair matched with the curtains. I don't live there some people are over the top.

Fitness center was small did go 3 out of 4 days...yes while on vacation hey I have a wedding dress to fit in in August! But I made the most of it no need to complain just change up you routine. I would suggest going in the morning or early afternoon. The hotel has a lot of business guest and they use the gym after work so you might not be able to get on a machine.

Food- Breakfast was fine had it twice it was hot and different options I’m a foodie but I’m not snobbish if i didn't want it just go pick up something else. The managers reception was a nice touch light dinner and wine/beer during the week. This was a plus for us most time we nibbled a drank and just enjoyed the company of sitting downstairs with everyone. The attendant was nice and they got you adult beverages for you food was actually pretty good (my partner ate it) I nibbled on salad and cookies.

Overall for the rate of a downtown hotel it was good if you factor in the meals they provide it's a great deal providing you’re staying through the week as the managers reception is Mon-Thurs
Right in the moddle of evrything you can walk everywhere and police presence was always there so you felt safe for downtown. Almost forgot we stayed for 4 nights from Sat -Wed

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HomewoodHartfordGM, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hello from Hartford and Happy Summer Season!

First of all - allow us to CONGRATULATE you on your marriage. We are delighted to stayed at the hotel. Your thoughtful, extensive / comprehensive review is ideal for our staff daily review. A note on the parking - our lot is manned all the time with staff versus the other lots that are operated literally by a "pay" machine and do not have 24/7 monitoring - hence the higher rate at our location.

If back in Hartford, do contact us directly. We would be pleased to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Easy to get to anything downtown, but that's it. Looks like they added a fridge and a hot plate to make it a suite. It's basically your normal hotel room with a small tile floor added with a small fridge

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Hello from Hartford and thank you for your review. The 2014 floor by floor upgrade plans are considerable and we do have various room types and sizes to choose from. Do contact me directly the next time you are in the area - we would like to welcome you back to experience a different room lay-out.

Kind Regards,
Charlotte
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed for a one night business trip. The hotel is centrally located. Easy drive to West Hartford. The hotel and the room decor are dated. The room I had was a nice size and the bed was comfortable. The evening manager was very pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast offered scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and biscuits, some fruit, cereal, coffee and juice. A little pricey for what you get, but I honestly don't know how it compares to nearby hotels. My room had a shower only and a tiny sink area. It worked for a night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your response. You received a handicapped accessible room on this one stay. Do contact me next time you are in Hartford and we would be pleased to offer you a complimentary upgrade to experience the full suite parameters. Thank you again,
New York New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Great Service, Bad Curry Smell. Breakfast is even worse. They tried to make me book for 2 nights even though I only needed to stay 1 night. So I booked 2 nights and then canceled one of them the next day. This is the 2nd time at a HomeWood Suite and they both smelled like Curry in every common area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for responding with your review. As a full kitchen in suites location we do have occasional food varieties aromas that travel in a hallway. As we plan ahead we explore more options of curtailing this. New technology is implemented often to reduce this. Thank you for your stay - and do contact me directly if you return to Hartford,
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I tried to check in early I was told my room was getting ready. I was told to wait an hour after an hour I called back same answer. While all my friends checked in early without delays. After that incident no problem. In the room when I turned the thermostat higher it smelled like something was burning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Finger Lakes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our family of four stayed at this hotel over the Memorial weekend to visit family in Connecticut and as the other contributors mentioned our stay was a mixed bag. The suite concept is great with plenty of room, including two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen and a small living room. The three TVs kept our teen centered family from fighting as well. We paid the full advertised price on the website of $239 plus tax and $16 for overnight parking. Note the discount sites mention that this hotel was either booked or did not have available the larger suite when, in fact, the hotel did have room and that larger suite available. So check further by calling direct.

The staff was friendly, helpful, and the service was great even during a large onsite wedding reception. The property and rooms were clean, but the carpets in the room and certain entry ways were in need of replacing. One other minor point that began to increasingly bother us, as our stay progressed, was the lack of shades on the windows to keep out the sun in the morning and the city lights at night. There were only sheer panels partially covering the windows so a 5 am to 6 am wake up by the sun was part of the ambiance! My spouse is convinced that it was a combination of the owners being frugal and it forced guests to get up and out of the hotel early before check-out. Note breakfast was included and convenient, but I am tiring of microwavable eggs, meats, potatoes, pancakes and french toast! After one breakfast I am looking for quality; even McD's would be better than this fare.

Given the location, noise will be a problem for light sleepers or those business people with an important meeting that next day. The property is in the middle of the bar and restaurant scene and police cruisers are parked in pairs at a number of intersections around the adjacent blocks to deal with the party people. So you do feel safe walking at night. Did you know that young women who get drunk scream a lot over nothing late at night? Oddly, I forgot about this behavior from my college years and who is Brenda and why did she take away this other woman's boyfriend?. Also, parking may be a challenge at times with security limited until bar closing time at 2 am or 3 am. It may have been a dream, but I swear I heard a policeman announces through his car speaker that it was closing time and people should clear the streets and go home! Seriously at this late hour and public service announcement!

As mentioned, the property's location is in the heart of downtown and Hartford is much larger than I expected but easily walkable. The gold-domed State Capitol is in full view, a well-kept Bushnell Park in nearby, and there are food choices galore. The one oddity though is that the majority of quality lunch places, delis and cafes, close during the weekend when the insurance, banking, legal, and government crowds go home! Go figure - so the choices are few and far between for lunch and breakfast.

One last note - Kudos to the Connecticut and Hartford road and sanitation crews and staff for their emphasis on cleanliness and organization. You folks put New York State to shame and visitors definitely know they are in a different state from the border on with well maintained and marked roads to clean city, suburban, and rural streets/roads. Keep up the good work! We are jealous.

Room Tip: For a restful sleep stay toward the back of the hotel, but note you lose the view of the Capitol and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Flagstaff, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The hotel staff was great, friendly, helpful and overall pretty cheery! Kudos for a great Staff! Thats where this experience stops as a weekly traveler i get to stay in many properties .. this was hands down the worst i have stayed at, Hilton Hotels should be embarrassed to have its logo attached to this location.. this was equivalent to a motel 6 suite!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for your response. I would be pleased to discuss your response at length - your input is valuable. Could you send further details of your experience to jeff.bierly@hilton.com? We will then review with the staff in detail, Again - all responses are carefully discusses in our planning and forward thinking. Kind Regards and a Happy Summer Season to you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
#6 of 10 in Hartford
3.0 of 5 stars 120 reviews
BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!