“First Time - Not the Last!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Hamburgers
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Destin, Florida
“First Time - Not the Last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Katy waited on our table and Conor answered all of our questions about their beer. Both made this one of the all time great beer and food visits. Katy made sure that the order was perfect and Conor check in on us answering our off the wall beer questions. Over all great experience and we will be going back. So when you go ask for the Katy and Conor show and have fun. Remember it is always more fun with a Naughty Nurse at your table.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Hartford, Connecticut
“Pub crawl”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had this as our first place on a pub crawl, even though they knew about this, they weren't prepared. We all wanted food, but had no place to sit. they reserved tables for another party coming in a couple of hours, we probably would have been gone by then. We moved on to the second place & they lost a lot of potential business.

Visited January 2013
DowntownBrew, Manager at City Steam Brewery, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Hey AdventureGirl-

Thanks for checking in and taking the time to write a review! I just wanted to take a second to clarify a few things to give you a better feel of the situation from Saturday afternoon.

Your pub crawl was sponsored by a local spirits company. We went through them to set up the pub crawl details and logistics. This particular day also happened to be a busy one for Hartford with a UConn game and a volleyball tournament in town as well.I assure you that a lot of planning and effort went into maximizing as many tables and chairs for guests throughout the weekend as possible to accommodate the variety of events, as well as the huge volume the restaurant did that day.

With regards to the pub crawl itself, the scheduled hours were from 3-6pm on a four-bar crawl. We were the first stop, thus the timing was going to work out perfectly for us to manage the basketball and the large parties we had scheduled for lunch and dinner. Each bar would have gotten roughly 45 minutes of activity. Because your event (which occurred just prior to the pub crawl itself and led into the bar-hopping) ended early, it is my understanding that the crawl essentially started an hour early at 2pm. So while we knew you were coming, much of our staff was not structured to handle the activity for another hour.

We certainly don't like to think we lost business, however the dollars and cents mean very little when compared to perception and reputation. So I'm sorry that we were only able to garner a 2-star perception from your visit. But to illustrate the very amazing phenomenon that is online-reviewing, I have copied a review from another site we received yesterday. This review is from the same exact event:

"City Steam was the first stop on our pub crawl this past Saturday. It was extraordinarily busy as the UCONN women were in town. The pub crawl drink special was an Onyx Moonshine drink, mixed with pink lemonade. It was made very well and tasty. I had a sip of someone else's as it is a borderline crime not to have one of City Steam's in-house brews. I ordered a Naughty Nurse, and as usual, it was bursting with flavor and refreshing. It went really well with the waffle fries, fried pickles, and nachos we ordered. The waffle fries were golden and crispy, even after cooling down a bit. City Steam's fried pickles are the best around, and I get them every time I go. Fried to perfection with an awesomely spiced batter (I ask for hot sauce with mine!). The nachos were served with a good quality sour cream and a fresh tomato blend that almost tasted like what you'd use on bruschetta- very flavorful! Even though it was crazy busy, our bartender was on point, efficient, and having a good time with us. The food came out hot, despite the kitchen being slammed. I highly recommend City Steam if you're looking for a great, local brew, a quality menu (with plenty of options for vegetarians) that compliments their brews, and awesome service."

No one is right and no one is wrong. I just want you to know that a lot of effort and consideration WAS in fact put into this event, contrary to what it may have seemed. We pride ourselves on the flexibility of our service, so that even when parties arrive earlier than planned, are larger than expected, or require special considerations which need to be met, we are properly equipped to handle them. My apologies if that did not occur in your experience. We will try to do better next time!

-Conor
Manager
marketing@citysteam.biz
Watertown, Connecticut, United States
“Great Burgers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

There many burger joints in and around Hartford, but the one I had at City Steam was the best I've had in a very long time. And it was not just the burgers. Our table of six adults and four children had ate from all areas of the menu - everything was well prepared and delicious.

The service was exceptional, the management was gracious and everyone made feel very relaxed and comfortable (even though we had a tired eight month oldfor the next visit.

It had been a few years since my previous visit, it won't be that long

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carol Stream, Illinois
“Beer and mac and cheese, thats all you need”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is a popular place when traveling to my offices in Windsor, CT and it seems like a popular place over all. I love the atomsphere, lots of room, kinda dark, personable but yet it gives you the bar feel. Prices are good and their beers on tap are delish. I had the Blonde on Blonde and Naughy Nurse. Both highly recommened. If there is one thing you need to try/eat at this place, its their mac and cheese. As is or w/the chicken and bacon, this dish is T.D.F. Service is good and the staff is friendly and will answer any question you have.

Visited January 2013
Toledo OH
“Strongly Recommend City Steam Brewery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Great place in downtown Hartford -- located in an 1880s former department store, the brewmaster makes a terrific selection of craft brews. I especially enjoyed the stronger IPA. Service was friendly and food quality was excellent. Prices quite reasonable. Convenient to Hilton and in the same building as the Residence Inn. As a beer drinker for more than fifty years, I recommend the City Steam Brewery most highly.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere