“Great location - walk to restaurants. Friendly staff. Skip the spa - overpriced and poor service.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hartford Marriott Downtown

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely hotel. Staff are friendly and super helpful. The restaurant has a nice breakfast buffet, and also offers a good menu for dinner and room service. There are many areas to relax within the hotel - out of your room - including the large foyer, business centre and even the Starbucks that is on site.

The hotel is secure, with access to guest rooms via elevators requiring a room key. It also has a fed ex on site. Very handy indeed!

Rooms are spacious and clean. Beds are very comfortable. Nice toiletries are provided.

Parking is expensive - $30 per day, but valet is quick and friendly. Wifi is good quality.. Won't drop out, even in busy peak times.

The hotel has a fabulous gym with lots of treadmills, bikes, elliptical and free weights etc. it has big windows which allow you to watch the world go by outside. A great space. Indoor lap pool is also on the same level.

Skip the spa. I was disappointed that my 60 minute massage included me laying on the massage table, waiting for the masseuse for ten minutes. I was also back in my hotel room less than an hour after leaving, which means I only ended up getting a 45 minute massage, but paying for the full hour. I also had to pay and leave a gratuity first, as I was last client of the day so they wanted to close the register. It felt rush and not at all relaxing. What a shame, considering that I had the spa owner as my masseuse... I can only imagine what his staff ate like if he is meant to set the standard.

Other than that, I enjoyed my stay very much.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I used to travel and work for Ritz Carlton back in the 80's. We occasionally did white glove inspections of rooms where we went from floor to ceiling, trying to find dust or dirt. My sister was in town for Connecticon this weekend and was dressed like a maid and was wearing....wait for it...white gloves! For fun I had her do an impromptu check of how clean the rooms was. It was IMPECCABLE! I literally searched for something to complain about at the front desk on the way out and could not find anything. I was almost a little disappointed :(. Even though I was a little embarrassed in front of my sister, I must say, the Marriott really surprised me! Very friendly staff in Starbucks, one of the girls (Elizabeth I think) really brightened my day. Thanks for that!

Room Tip: Get a river facing room on a high floor like we did.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Upon checkin in after a day in the car, instantly I was disappointed as we were "greeted" by an individual that appeared everything short of happy to see us. He never gave us our room key and looked at us saying "do you need something else?", I replied to him we didn't get our keys. Upon entering the room, the room felt very damp and had a musty smell. The lampshade was covered in stains, and there was black dirt on the sheets. Also, there was black mold in all of the corners of the bathroom ceiling! I have never had a Marriott experience like this one, and for over $300 a night and $20 to park I am very disappointed with my stay. After checking in late and only staying one night, room service just walked into our room very early without knocking, looked at us confused.. Then walked out. Awkward for both of us!! Better yet,... No continental breakfast! I called to asking in the morning and her reply was "no, you pay for it here.. This is Hartford." Really Marriott?

• Stayed July 2013
Fall River, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Had a wonderful stay here for an art weekend to visit the museum. Our room was most excellent and it had a beautiful view of the river. Very clean. The staff was engaging and attentive. We could easily walk to the museum and the restaurants we wanted to visit. Appreciated the Starbucks in the lobby. No free wifi in the room was my only disappointment. Minor.

Room Tip: Splurged on a high up corner room with great view of river and city.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Quick and easy parking. Right near the highway for easy access no matter where you are coming from in ct. Food was very good for buffet foods. The hotel was very clean and seemly run very well. All in all a very good experience!

• Stayed June 2013
Baiting Hollow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I travel about a half dozen times a year for work, but this time I was in Hartford with a friend for 2 nights of Concerts, June 7-9.

The hotel is nicely located, right next to the Convention Center and the Science Center. A short distance from the XL Center and Comcast Theater as well.

Check in was very quick, Kristen has a lovely smile and is very warm and welcoming!!! My request for a high floor was nicely accommodated, with a room on the 18th which had a very nice view of the River.

Lobby was very big and clean, comfortable areas to sit and relax, Starbucks right in the lobby as well as a bar, though I did not have a chance to visit that. The elevators were quite dark, and the key card access, though understandable, didn't once work smoothly.

Guest hallways are nicely appointed and very clean, typical Marriott fashion. Room was very fresh and clean, my only complaint was that the bathroom was VERY small. You had to shuffle around to get the door closed after you went in. Not a deal breaker, just a minor inconvenience.

A refrigerator is not standard in the rooms, but when i called they had one to my room less than 15 minutes later!! And it was already cold to boot, very nice touch. A request for a roll away on the second night was fulfilled just as quickly as well.

On Saturday night there was a Wedding and a Gala Ball complete with a Red Carpet in the Lobby and Cookie Monster taking pictures!!!! Thankfully the lobby was plenty big to accommodate everyone and I didn't experience any noise problems.

Overall a great experience and this Marriott did not dis-appoint.

P.S. If Management is reading this, please pass on some respect to the night Security Guard on Sat June 8th. He was presented with a very unique situation when a band member showed up un-announced for a gathering with fans outside the parking garage and i must say he handled it very well!!!!!

Room Tip: High floors on the East side offer excellent views of the river and the CT landscape.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here in November for 3 nights. It was a nice stay, our room was comfortable and clean. However, the website for this hotel is in need of an update, The spa listed on the website is different from the spa currently at the Marriott, and thus has different packages and prices. Something we did not discover until arrival. Also the "Crush" bar has the same food as Vivo, the restaurant .Upon recent inspection, it looks as though some of these changes have finally been made to the website, however, I would call to double check spa prices.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for sending in a review to TripAdvisor. It appears your posting is several months past the date of your last stay, and we have made many changes to our websites since then. Our spa, Glo by Prossage, had been in transition of creating a new website. We welcome the feedback and are happy to know that the websites are being utilized and serving our guests. Thank you again!

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!