“Friendly staff, well-maintained rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Hartford
New York City, New York
“Friendly staff, well-maintained rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night when we attended a function in Hartford. The check-in was quick, and the young man at the desk was friendly and knowledgeable. The bathroom was sparkling--right down to the grout between the tiles. I really appreciated the little touches such as cotton balls and q-tips in the bathroom. We had to leave early Sunday morning, and we were the very first customers in the Starbucks in the lobby. The two women behind the counter were friendly and helpful. We were able to take our breakfast food into the small lounge area, and we had a quick, comfortable breakfast before hitting the road again. The hotel is very simple to access--right off I84. The parking is discounted for hotel guests, but be ready to add $19/day to the cost of your room. One small quibble: seems like almost all the newer Marriotts have eliminated towel bars in the bathroom. So, if you use the towels before going to sleep, there is nowhere to hang them. And there is only 1 towel per person, so you are not going to throw them on the floor. There must be some corporate logic behind this decision, but I can't figure it out. Overall, a very pleasant stay, and we will stay here the next time we are in Hartford.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
SpecialK55
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I want to open this review with an explanation. We stayed here as part of our corporate group holiday party, and were responsible for only a small part of the rate. My primary complaint is that the floor where they placed us (the 9th) was a huge party floor. Our floor mates were up all night, walking in and out of rooms, up and down the hallway, and talking as it if was 1:00 in the afternoon. We kept thinking it would end and we would be able to sleep, which is why we didn't complain. We decided at 4:00 a.m. to just leave. When I explained at the front desk why we were leaving so early, she gave me a blink and stare, as if she didn't know what I needed her to do.

That being said, the room was spacious, clean, comfortable, and would otherwise have been very quiet. It was at the end of a hallway and there was noise other than those partiers (did I mention they kept us up all night?).

I wish I could have had the opportunity to give this property a good review. Maybe some day, but not this time.

Room Tip: When you check in, make sure you aren't on a floor with groups, parties, or weddings.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Nesconset, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is such a convenient hotel to the science museum and the convention center. The front desk staff was so pleasant and helpful. We had a drink in the pretty bar called Crush which has wonderful couch nooks to sit. We then had a fabulous meal at the restaurant Vivo. My swordfish was the best! The gelato and ice cream sampler was wonderful.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 16th floor with a view of the river and the city
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed one night in this hotel. well decorated - average size-rooms, somewhat small bathroom. Big flat tv, coffeemaker available. Rooms are nice and and well equipped. Very well equipped gym and swimming pool on the top of the building with very nice view.
Very good breakfast buffet with god service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel's convenient location made our late evening drive from Vermont end easily. Warmly greeted by the hotel staff, we parked our car ourselves, our preference, in an adjacent clean, well lit parking garage. Through the cavernous, yet sleekly modern lobby, we easily located the elevators and arrived quickly to our standard sized, double queen room. Well appointed, the room adequately allowed us to share our space with our sixteen year old son. With a large flat screen TV, large desk space and reading space, free internet access, good lighting and soft linens, we coexisted comfortably. The bathroom was adequate, clean and well stocked. After a dip in the roof top, heated pool right before it closed (the hot tub was under repair), we headed downstairs, hungry and hopeful that we could eat a late dinner at one of the hotel restaurants. Safely down the hall from the off-lobby nightclub's throbbing DJ dance mix, another bar with a small seating area was open, and we ate a delicious meal at midnight. The food was freshly prepared and politely served even though we were the only patrons there, and very reasonable for a downtown hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: Our high floor room had interesting nighttime and sunrise views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here. The hotel itself was beautiful. Nice spacious room, and comfortable beds. Two thumbs up on the complementary soaps and stuff, which made me smell great. The staff was friendly and helpful, most notably the restaurant staff, but all were very good. I didn't get a chance to check out the pool, unfortunately.

My big qualm was parking. First, I tried to valet, but there was a line of cars almost out to the street and only one very flustered looking valet on duty who pretty much ignored me, but who can blame someone who is that busy. Next, I tried to self park in the garage. There was very little signage and I was quite confused as to whether or not I could park there overnight or if it was even hotel parking at all. The lot was almost completely full and it literally took me 45 minutes to park and get to the lobby to check in. There were even people in the garage directing traffic, but only letting one car go at a time at 4 way stops, which in my mind is kind of what would happen at those anyway. Regardless, this confused and late making nightmare was not a very good first impression to an otherwise great stay. Usually, I am not too hard on things like this, but for the price, I would expect a bit better in this department.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
whgecomm, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hartford Marriott Downtown with us and the Trip Advisor community. I was thrilled to read that you were impressed and give both our accommodations and our associates high praise. It was also great to learn that our bath amenities were a hit!

That being said, after reading about your experience in the parking garage, I could clearly understand your disappointment and share in your frustration. I want to let you know that I have specifically discussed your concerns at length with the parking garage owner and operating company, using your review as an example. (Due to our Downtown Hartford location and proximity to the Convention Center, the parking garage is owned by another entity, operated by a third-party vendor and provides shared parking services for many in this area.)

The outcome of our meeting will help all the future guests of our hotel. The owner is reviewing signage and staffing levels during Convention Center events and has committed to improve service for our hotel guests. As you can see from our #1 Hartford Trip Advisor ranking, we take guest satisfaction very seriously and we will follow this through.

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you come to Hartford.

-John Fraher
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everything you expect a Marriott should be--clean, comfortable, convenient location and outstanding staff. I had issues with my reservation--when I called the 800 reservation line to confirm my late arrival they could not find my reservation and booked me again. When I arrived the front desk was very helpful (and light-hearted) and not only discovered I now had two reservations but upgraded my room because of the inconvenience. The upgrade was appreciated as it put us far away from noisy soccer tournament guests. Also, the next morning in my quest for a yogurt, (Starbucks was out) instead of charging me to "take out" a yogurt from the restaurant -- they gave it to me! It is the small things like this that makes Marriott rise to the top for me.

Room Tip: Just check to see if there are any large groups and request a room away from the room block.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!