“Pleasant Surprise in Downtown Hartford” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Pleasant Surprise in Downtown Hartford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel's convenient location made our late evening drive from Vermont end easily. Warmly greeted by the hotel staff, we parked our car ourselves, our preference, in an adjacent clean, well lit parking garage. Through the cavernous, yet sleekly modern lobby, we easily located the elevators and arrived quickly to our standard sized, double queen room. Well appointed, the room adequately allowed us to share our space with our sixteen year old son. With a large flat screen TV, large desk space and reading space, free internet access, good lighting and soft linens, we coexisted comfortably. The bathroom was adequate, clean and well stocked. After a dip in the roof top, heated pool right before it closed (the hot tub was under repair), we headed downstairs, hungry and hopeful that we could eat a late dinner at one of the hotel restaurants. Safely down the hall from the off-lobby nightclub's throbbing DJ dance mix, another bar with a small seating area was open, and we ate a delicious meal at midnight. The food was freshly prepared and politely served even though we were the only patrons there, and very reasonable for a downtown hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: Our high floor room had interesting nighttime and sunrise views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here. The hotel itself was beautiful. Nice spacious room, and comfortable beds. Two thumbs up on the complementary soaps and stuff, which made me smell great. The staff was friendly and helpful, most notably the restaurant staff, but all were very good. I didn't get a chance to check out the pool, unfortunately.

My big qualm was parking. First, I tried to valet, but there was a line of cars almost out to the street and only one very flustered looking valet on duty who pretty much ignored me, but who can blame someone who is that busy. Next, I tried to self park in the garage. There was very little signage and I was quite confused as to whether or not I could park there overnight or if it was even hotel parking at all. The lot was almost completely full and it literally took me 45 minutes to park and get to the lobby to check in. There were even people in the garage directing traffic, but only letting one car go at a time at 4 way stops, which in my mind is kind of what would happen at those anyway. Regardless, this confused and late making nightmare was not a very good first impression to an otherwise great stay. Usually, I am not too hard on things like this, but for the price, I would expect a bit better in this department.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
whgecomm, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hartford Marriott Downtown with us and the Trip Advisor community. I was thrilled to read that you were impressed and give both our accommodations and our associates high praise. It was also great to learn that our bath amenities were a hit!

That being said, after reading about your experience in the parking garage, I could clearly understand your disappointment and share in your frustration. I want to let you know that I have specifically discussed your concerns at length with the parking garage owner and operating company, using your review as an example. (Due to our Downtown Hartford location and proximity to the Convention Center, the parking garage is owned by another entity, operated by a third-party vendor and provides shared parking services for many in this area.)

The outcome of our meeting will help all the future guests of our hotel. The owner is reviewing signage and staffing levels during Convention Center events and has committed to improve service for our hotel guests. As you can see from our #1 Hartford Trip Advisor ranking, we take guest satisfaction very seriously and we will follow this through.

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you come to Hartford.

-John Fraher
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everything you expect a Marriott should be--clean, comfortable, convenient location and outstanding staff. I had issues with my reservation--when I called the 800 reservation line to confirm my late arrival they could not find my reservation and booked me again. When I arrived the front desk was very helpful (and light-hearted) and not only discovered I now had two reservations but upgraded my room because of the inconvenience. The upgrade was appreciated as it put us far away from noisy soccer tournament guests. Also, the next morning in my quest for a yogurt, (Starbucks was out) instead of charging me to "take out" a yogurt from the restaurant -- they gave it to me! It is the small things like this that makes Marriott rise to the top for me.

Room Tip: Just check to see if there are any large groups and request a room away from the room block.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is attached to the Hartford Convention Center and that alone tells you they have a built-in market and they don't have to be fabulous to be busy--just okay. The hotel lobby is very large & updated. The desk staff were friendly and I was quickly checked in. The room I had included a flat screen TV, frig, acceptablely-sized bathroom with adequate counter space and make-up mirror. The bed and bed linens were in good shape (have fitted sheets, which I like) and the room was clean, including the shower and bath area. My room was quiet and I did not hear my neighbors or hall noise.

So why the score of a 3? It was all just oaky. The room rate is similar to other hotels in the area. The room furnishings are in decent shape, the gym area was adequate, my internet did work. But overall an average Marriott and nothing more. If you don't stay in hotels much you will probably like this one.

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

As you're aware, Marriott's are complete hit or misses these days. It was a late, rainy Friday leaving NYC for a drive to Maine and I just had to stop for the night. I made a last minute reservation with a bit of trepidation given it's downtown Hartford. WHen I arrived at 11.30 pm, the bar was thumping with music and a good crowd (turned out to be an Episcopalian Convention!). The front desk was efficient and hospitable and the room was top shelf, clean, and comfortable. If you remember the way Marriott used to be, this brings back the good old days! Congrats to the staff of the hotel for doing such a great job. And thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hedgesville, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

While I did not spend the night in a hotel room, I attended a national knitting convention and all my classes were in the hotel. To start with, the bathrooms were immaculate with individual, white turkish towels and a lovely hamper to dump used towels. Staff was quick to take care of any needs and were so very friendly. Class teachers even remarked how helpful and pleasant the staff in setting up and meeting odd requests. Class rooms were kept very clean and fresh water was brought every couple of hours with REAL glass tumblers and linen napkins. I can only assume the sleeping rooms were as well attended.

Stowe, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Granted, hotel prices are high in Hartford. For what I paid for a night at the Hartford Marriott Downtown, however, I expected to at least have a useable sink. That proved not to be the case: The sink stopper was stuck in the closed position, so I could not so much as brush my teeth using the sink because the water would not drain. I wonder how many times the room had been cleaned and the problem simply ignored. Similarly, there was no Guest Directory in the room.

On the positive side, room service was prompt and efficient, even with staff calling after food had been delivered to find out if everything was acceptable. The hotel also is quiet. I don't think I ever heard a sound from the hallway or other rooms.

The hotel staff, particularly those in valet parking, were very nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!