“Someone is doing something right” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
New York City, New York
“Someone is doing something right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Two times I've stayed. 6 months apart. Each with family, including support animal. Mark the GM has made sure we are well taken care of, that his staff knows we are coming and that we are valued Marriott customers. The staff is clearly very well trained and they do a good job selecting people to represent their brand. I will continue to stay here so long as the quality of service remains high.

Note renovations are occurring right now. But instead of fussing about the work in progress, we view the upgrades a part of what makes marriott a strong brand.

Large rooms, easy to navigate, connected to City Steam for ordering in which is cool. And I felt safe there for my family.

Single con: Disappointing $17 overnight parking fee. Would like to see that subsidized by Marriott for gold or platinum members. For hartford this seems unreasonable given it's $8 down the street across from Black Eyed Sally's (unless I just saw their day rate and their overnight is similar - if so, apologies).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Haverford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel was going through renovations but it seemed dirty in the lobby and disconnected. Felt more like a motel than a hotel. The halls and elevators needed to be vacuumed.
The entrances both front and back were rundown and the hotel underground parking lot very dank and dirty. Disappointed with the cost verses the value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
WHGGuestService, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
charlotte1203,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We value all comments and use it to continuously improve our service for future guests.

The hotel lobby renovation that is currently underway is being completed in 3 stages. We have done this to limit the impact to our guests, however this may be the cause of the disconnected feeling that you mentioned. We apologize for the concerns you had in the hallways and elevators and have taken steps to address that immediately.

We hope that you will choose to stay with us again after our renovation is complete so that you can experience the completed hotel.

Regards,
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a trial for work and it was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms are huge and perfect for setting up a working "war room." The location of the hotel in downtown Hartford is ideal as you can walk to any stores, restaurants, etc. that you may need. The staff was so friendly and helpful and the hotel offered many amenities even a laundry room which was an added bonus. I would never stay anywhere else in Hartford now and beyond impressed with this hotel and staff.

Frederikssund, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

This hotel was being refurbished, and with a good reason. Getting through the doors are like taking a trip to the fifties. My room was very big, almost an apartment with a complete kitchen and the bed/restroom area elevated from the rest of the room. Strange but nice. The reception is a joke, but the service was fine and the complementary breakfast was alright. The dining room was also a joke though, I really hope it was only used temporarily because of the refurbishment.

Hartford city is nice and in walking distance.

The restaurant/brewery next door is absolutely worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Mark G, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank You for your valued feedback. We are nearing the end of a full hotel renovation which includes all guestrooms and the lobby space of the property. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the location of the front desk reception and the breakfast space. Both were temporary while we renovate the existing front desk and breakfast areas. We are extremely excited about our hotel transformation and I hope you can return to see the outcome. We anticipate completion very shortly.
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Located in the heart of Hartford, this hotel is nothing less than amazing. I couldn't possibly list all the things that I love about staying here! I always make a point to stay here when I'm in Hartford.

This hotel has, hands down, the best staff. Not only are they extremely professional, but also they always go that extra mile to make sure my stay is enjoyable. The front desk staff is extremely friendly and helpful, especially when I need to change my reservations on a moments notice (which happens rather frequently).

The service I received during one particular stay comes to mind when I think about the great service here. I was extremely sick one week and was forced to work from my hotel room. Valentine saw I was not feeling well when I came downstairs to grab a little breakfast before I headed out to grab some medicine. He was quick to ask if there was anything I needed. I told him I was all set and was just going to eat and then head out to a CVS that was around the corner. He said not to bother, that he would be happy to run out for me and asked what I wanted. It's this type of service that keeps me coming back.

Lisa has been helpful beyond belief when it comes to making additional reservations at a moment’s notice. My schedule is in constant flux, but Lisa is all too happy to help me make adjustments and ensure that I always have a place to stay when I come to Hartford.

Regrettably, I do not know her name, but the woman who manages the breakfast bar in the morning is honestly the happiest person I ever met. Her genuine smile and morning greetings put me in the best of moods. Many times I wake and dread the busy day/week ahead of me, but she always puts a smile on my face.

Honestly, the entire staff at the Residence is amazing, I could list all the great things that Quantia, Kasi, Kadeen, Migdalia, and Anna do on a daily basis to make my stay enjoyable and homelike, but I would need many pages to do so. Suffice it to say that you will not regret your choice to stay at the Residence Inn.

In addition to the best staff you could ever hope for, the location of this hotel is perfect. It's walking distance to the XL Center, Hartford Stage, Connecticut's Old State House, Connecticut Science Center, Connecticut Convention Center, a gorgeous park (Bushnell Park), and great restaurants peppered in between. The hotel itself is nestled between a great brewery (City Steam Brewery) and a cozy little Italian restaurant (Bocca Rossa).

The amenities are perfect! The rooms are....huge. I remember how shocked I was when I first stepped into one the rooms for my first time; it was bigger than my apartment! The cleaning staff does an excellent job cleaning the room, and they even clean my dirty dishes when I neglect to do so on account of my laziness after a long and busy day in the office. Of course, I try to make a point to leave a tip on such occasions.

The gym there is exactly what I need. Considering I travel a lot for work I don’t always eat as healthy as I should. Needless to say I’ve put on a few pounds. The Residence gym is just an elevator ride from my room so it’s hard to think of an excuse not to use it. Plus, the equipment is so new! It’s not the kind of gym you’d expect from a hotel, but then again the Residence is not just any hotel…. it’s THE hotel.

I will never go anywhere but the Residence Inn when I’m in Hartford. Believe me when I tell you, once you stay here you’ll feel the same way!

Room Tip: Some rooms get better sunlight in the morning than others. If this feature is important to you I wou...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
WHGGuestService, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
TomB: WOW! Thank you for putting so much time and thought into your amazing review of our hotel.

I don't even know where to begin, but thank you for all of your kind words about so many of our staff. I look forward to sharing this review with them and recognizing all the associates mentioned. It has been a pleasure to have you stay with us during your time in Hartford and we look forward to seeing you each week.

Thank you again for your review. It is guests like you that make our hotel a great place to work!

Clayton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stayed here the 2nd weekend in February 2014 for a cheerleading competition on Marriott points!! I loved the design of our room, it was a bi-level. Actually felt like you were in an apartment!! We hope to stay here again next year, but the hotel is currently sold out for our dates!!! Location was good, walking distance to the convention center. "Free" Breakfast buffet was nice. Parking is in the back of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
cmaloney70,

Thank you for taking time to share your review of our hotel. We are happy that you found our loft suites so comfortable and were able to use your Marriott Reward points for your stay.

We have had many requests for the 2015 cheerleading weekend, unfortunately those dates seem to coincide with the American Athletic Conference Men\'s Basketball Championship being held in Hartford as well. Once we get closer we may have some room openings so please continue to check for availability. We hope to see you again in 2015!

Kind regards,
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel in downtown Hartford. We were attending a wedding next door, so the location was perfect since it was located only two buildings (attached) away. The suite contained a micro wave oven and a full size refrigerator and stove. There was a very large living room, with a television and desk. The king size bed was located in the "loft" which only took three stairs to climb. The bedroom was large and also had a television. Bathroom is located here. The rooms were extremely clean. The hotel is going through renovations, but that did not cause any problems.. The price was $129.00 per night, which included a morning buffet. This hotel would be convenient for travelers who need to conduct meetings with businesses on Main Street. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
WHGGuestService, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Bonjovifan_13,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback about the amenities in the rooms and are glad that our renovation didn\'t cause any disturbance for you. It has been very important to us to limit any guest disruption throughout the process.

It sounds like you attended a wedding a the beautiful Gershon Fox Ballroom which is a great wedding venue that we are lucky to have so close to our hotel. I see that you are local to our area, but hope that you chose us again should you need accommodations downtown or a place to recommend family or friends.

Kind regards,
Director of Sales

Been to Residence Inn Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!