“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Hartford
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Hartford itself was a unique experience, but if you're going there this hotel would be a great choice! The rooms were very spacious, the staff was very courteous and helpful, and the breakfast was a very nice addition for no additional cost. The location was nice too, very close to quite a few excellent restaurants and bars. I would highly recommend staying here if for some reason you're finding the need to stay in Hartford.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
West Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Residence Inn in downtown Hartford, offers a wonderful opportunity for a getaway, especially for those who live in the area. The Marriott has been there since 2000 and is about to undergo a renovation. We loved the hospitality suite we were in. Large, with a multilevel floor plan and a full kitchen, we could relax, read, catch up on the papers and watch our favorite shows. The staff, like all Marriott staff members we have encountered, was welcoming, friendly, and always willing to be of assistance. The best part of this Marriott is the building it is in, known as the The Cheney building, it is regarded as the finest example of Romanesque architecture in the United States. In addition to the Marriott, City Steam Brewery Cafe also inhabits the Cheney. If you like tasty craft brew, good food, and the convenience of having all of that next to a Residence Inn, then this is the place for you. Yes, this Residence is within walking distance to many of Hartford's attractions and the new Conventional Center. We think it's the combination of wonderful lodging and an outstanding brew cafe that places this spot on our local getaway list.

Room Tip: There is on site parking at this Marriott, both outside and garage at $17.00 a night. A basic compl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised during our recent weekend stay at the Residence Inn in downtown Hartford. As others have mentioned, the rooms are huge and while the decor is somewhat dated, our 2 bedroom suite was spotless. We were at the back of the hotel and didn't hear noise from any other room or street traffic, but the heat/air conditioning system was somewhat noisy. Breakfast was the usual Residence Inn fare. What made our trip so pleasant was the very welcoming staff at the front desk and breakfast room, and the housekeeping and maintenance staff. Everyone greeted us with a smile, and asked if there was anything they could do for us. Special props to Constance (I believe that was her name) at the front desk, who made it her mission to find us a room so we could check in early and rest. (She even volunteered to help housekeeping clean the room!) The location was fine--about 4 blocks from the convention center--and the area seemed reasonably safe. I would not hesitate to stay here again, should I ever travel back to Hartford.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are probably quieter as there's no traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
East Haddam, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Thanks to our modern medical system, the hospital allowed me only one night for a difficult hernia operation. Afterward I was in pain, couldn't walk, and wasn't ready to have someone drive me the 5 hours home only to be at the doctor's office again in 2 days. The Residence Inn has a reasonable rate for Hartford Hospital connected patients, an on-site wheelchair, and a front desk and other staff that are kind if you are having difficulty. I recuperated there for 2 days, hardly getting out of bed. There is room service if you are up to eating, but I can't speak to this since sleep was the priority. The hotel is near the hospital. I tipped generously for extra service like being taken to the cab in a wheelchair, but the important part was that the service was available. All in all, the 2 days in the hotel were absolutely the right thing for me to do to recover and the Residence Inn was the right place..

Room Tip: They have a large handicapped-accessible room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Ideal location- very close to the bus/Amtrak station. I was lucky to get a discounted group rate (140+tax per night) as i was visiting Hartford for a wedding. Not sure I would have stayed if I had to pay the full rate, but it was a nice experience. The room was spacious (bed was on a separate "floor") and very clean. Everything closes early in Hartford so I was very happy that they had snacks for purchase when I Got hungry late night. Management was nice and breakfast in the morning was good. Would recommend!

• Stayed June 2013
Gardiner, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during the Hartford Marathon in October. Although I usually stay with relatives in the area when I come to Hartford, I wanted to be near the start/finish line of the race and this hotel put me in a good location (about 1/2 mile away, 1 long block to Expo). The service was some of the best I've experienced at a large hotel with the friendliest staff in all positions. They went way out of their way to find me a Sunday newspaper and help in any way possible. The room, although the decor was dated, was large with a loft style bedroom and an almost (no oven) full kitchen. I was able to prepare my own dinner the night before the race rather than putting unfamiliar food in my stomach that might later cause a problem.

My room location was very quiet on the 7th floor and had a nice view. If you are looking for the charm of this older building, look elsewhere as this a converted department store (I worked here in the late 60's). It had large open floors with no walls so everything has been added. It never had much charm to begin with except for the exterior of the Cheney building..

I felt the value I received based on the hotels.com rate I paid was very good but there is an additonal $17/day charge for parking in the lot which is on the street behind the hotel with a direct entrance one level below the lobby.

The breakfast was OK. About what you would expect at a Hampton Inn. The one negative was the City Steam Pub located inside the building. I would stay away from food there but do enjoy the beer. Very noisey and crowded with large plates of pretty poorly prepared food. Food is better next door at "Dish".

Hartford is an old and somewhat depressed city. But, if you need to be there, the Residence Inn Downtown is a fine place to stay. I intend to return next year to run the half-marathon and I will definitely be staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up and in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have been traveling to Hartford a lot over the past number of months and the Residence Inn is one of my more favorite places to stay. The rooms are huge and it is nice having a full kitchen. I especially like the one bedroom suites as it is really like having a one bedroom apartment. Breakfast more than meets my needs and it is a convenient walk to almost anything. The staff is friendly, too. The older building also has character and it is nice having City Steam Brewery in the same building and Dish just a few doors down.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites are like an apartment.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!