“Larger than usual rooms for a Residence Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Connecticut
“Larger than usual rooms for a Residence Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Most Residence Inns I have stayed at (and there have been many) seem to follow the same design of both the buildings and the rooms. Not so with this one, most likely because it was built in an old existing building. We rented two rooms - one was the "loft" room and the other was a two bedroom suite. The loft was actually a strange setup with a bedroom up a small set of stairs. We couldn't figure out why they would design it that way, but it did give the room a much bigger feel. Also different was a full stove, something that you don't normally see (usually just a stove top).

The two bedroom was bigger than some of my friend's apartments. This too had a raised area for one bedroom, but the other bedroom was just plain huge! You could have easily put another king size bed in that room. Plus it had a really large set of closets and bathroom.

Breakfast here was better than usual for a Residence Inn. Good selection and everything was kept stocked, even up to the very end of the breakfast session. There are two restaurants that are in the same building, so you don't even need to go outside.

Parking was expensive I thought ($16/day) but still slightly cheaper than surrounding parking lots.

I'm no big fan of Hartford, but if I have to stay there this is the hotel where I would stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was here recently for a friend's wedding and I was blown away by the spacious rooms, complete with kitchens and living rooms, the super friendly and helpful staff, and one of the best continental breakfasts I ever had at a hotel. The staff did everything to help me get into a great room and even got me in early and my parent's into their room early who were traveling in from out of town. I am all about cleanliness and my room was super clean. Even when I went to plug in my curling iron in the socket behind the TV, i was anxious to see what would be behind there, and not one spec of dust or anything was. Super clean, great location, wonderful staff. I expressed this to the manager on my way out who mentioned that they are renovating all their rooms this summer, which makes me want to go back even more now!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Oakdale, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was there for a business trip. It needs some reovations but overall it is ok. It is in a good location and has a friendly staff. Their free hot breakfast is nice. This hotel is good for people looking for a longer stay as they have kitchens. The bed was comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WHGGuestService, Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for leaving your review with the TripAdvisor Community, We strive to make every guests’ stay as relaxing and enjoyable as possible and that starts with our accommodating staff. I understand your concerns with the room and I’m very excited to tell you that we are beginning renovations towards the end of this year. We hope to see you again the next time you travel to Hartford!
Plainville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We walked in and said "The 80's is calling and wants their décor back!" For a Marriott I was surprised at how outdated it was. Our room was big, but king bed not ideal for us. We were two moms with our daughters for a cheerleading competition at the convention center. That said, breakfast went way beyond my expectations! Scrambled eggs, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, fresh coffee, pastries, bagels, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, etc. Machine for lattes. Heaven for me. Staff was extremely polite which made up for the rest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hauppauge, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Recently stayed for a local concert. Great location to XL Center - within walking distance. Room was clean and ready when we arrived. Full kitchen; bath and 1 bedroom upstairs. Large closets. Maid was very helpful with linens and towels. Ordered room service from the burger place downstairs. Received order after a very long wait and it was wrong. Burgers were okay. Pull out couch was a bit tough but the bed upstairs was good. No extra noises from hall. Breakfast was complimentary and satisifying. Overall would stay again but maybe not order from that burger place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Ok, the decor wasn't at all to my taste------kind of a strange colour-scheme and decorations. But that's a small complaint; the rest of the stay was brilliant.

My suite----at a thrifty $199 per night----was 750 square feet! I especially liked that the bedroom and bathroom were up a small flight of stairs, so were totally separate from the living area-----which not only included the kitchen and living/dining area, but a large front hall with a big coat-closet.

The kitchen was very well apppointed, with full-size fridge, dishwasher (!), microwave, toaster, huge four-burner range, etc etc. Not that I actually cooked anything, but there was plenty of cookware and dinnerware to have accommodated just about anything. A nice touch was the small things-----good kitchen linens, a big roll of paper towels, plenty of coffee, and even microwave popcorn.

Daily maid service was excellent. There were two large flat-screen teevees (living room and bedroom). The living room and dining area were VERY comfortable, and the desk/work area was good (very comfy desk chair). The bathroom was small, but traveling solo it didn't matter to me. The bedroom had a huge closet with good large full-length mirrors.

The free breakfast was the best I've ever had. Besides the usual breads, fruits and cereals, one could even make oneself a Belgian waffle, with add-ins such as chocolate chips or blueberries. I did not try any of the hot items but they all looked delicious. It's been a long time since I've seen a hotel breakfast buffet like that.....and free.

As others have noted, the staff was just amazing. Even the maintenance man I encountered in the elevator was friendly and outgoing.

The location is on Main St. in the old Brown Thompson building. It's a great "adaptive reuse" of a lovely an historic building in the heart of downtown. Everything is walkable from this location (it's also on bus lines; though I used my car as access is very easy).

One caveat----avoid room service. It is not run by the hotel, but by an adjacent restaurant named "City Steam"-----see my separate review of that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Merrick, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here for over a week recently while in Hartford for business. Overall. Hartford is not a very exciting city, so location to work/business is key when booking in this city. This hotel is within a walkable distance to all of the restaurants & businesses in the downtown area. It is also easy to get to from the parkways if you are driving.
The staff was very helpful, knowledgeable & accomodating.
The decor could use refurbishing - the lobby is a sea of red carpeting and the rooms are far from 'modern'. The rooms were very clean but the 4th floor has a permanant odor...
The breakfast that they serve is just like any Marriott property would provide. A good start with a ton of variety/choices for starting off the day. They also offer a free nightly dinner which I did not try, but other members of my group did & seemed to enjoy it.
There are 2 restaurants accessible from the hotel & many others to choose from within a 1 block radius.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!