“Nice stay in Hartford” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Lebanon, PA
“Nice stay in Hartford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We had a nice weekend stay at Hartford to see a concert at the XL Center. The concert was great (saw the Who) and this hotel was within a block from the Center so it was extremely convenient for us.The hotel is on the registry of historic sights. It was very clean, and the suite we had was huge. The staff was friendly and helpful. The complimentary morning breakfast buffet was the usual nice addition. The size of the living area of our suite was a little odd in that the ceilings were extremely high with many curtained windows. The furniture was really dwarfed by the size of the room but that was something that did not really bother us. I would highly also recommend dining at City Steam which is located in the lobby area of the hotel. It is a historic restaurant which was once a department store. Saturday nights are busy there! A "must see" in Hartford is the Mark Twain house if you like history and architecture. This is about a five minute drive from the hotel. Hartford is a town that is being restored with some nice architectural details in the old buildings. It is worth visiting and also an easy trip to the rest of New England.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor away from the elevators. We had a corner suite that was larger than som...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Enfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I am a loyal Marriott Brand customer and usually like to stay in a Marriott Brand hotel when I travel for short stays. I was only going to be in town overnight and I chose the Residence Inn Downtown because it was less expensive than the Marriott Hotel when you figure in the fact that breakfast is included with your rate at the Residence Inn.

The room was very nice. Very high ceilings, large windows (with no view to speak of unfortunately), fully equipped kitchen and a separate bedroom upstairs.

The room was very clean as always.

This particular room looked out onto the rooftops of adjacent buildings with large exhast/air conditioning fans. This is all I heard all night long. The bed was not as comfortable as other RIs that I have stayed at and I was honestly very surprised at the amount of noise the fans made. I can usually sleep through a lot but this was difficult. I didn't sleep well at all.

The breakfast was typical buffet style and noting special, but it was included in the price which was very reasonable and it was tasty with enough variety.

I would stay there again but I will ask for a room away from the roof fans!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in September. Overall a very pleasant place to stay. Very spacious and comfortable room with everything we needed. Breakfast was solid (oatmeal, good cereal, yogurt, bagels, etc, fruit plus hot food). Staff was quite friendly and helpful. Location in downtown Hartford is convenient--can walk to many restaurants. The only downside is that you can get a little bit of street noise/light (windows are very large because of the high ceilings, and a small section at the very top has a lighter shade). Given that most people aren't in Hartford for an extended, relaxing vacation, it's not really a big deal. I would definitely stay here again if I were in Hartford.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed in the Residence Inn for 5 nights - with 2 small children, and having travelled all over, I can honestly say it was one of the strangest places I have been in. The rooms were fine - actually very clean and spacious, but the kitchen was kitted out very badly and the communal areas left a lot to be desired. I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast was good, but the "shop" with "meal substitutes" was awful - with not a fresh item of produce in sight. Not even milk. Also, downtown Hartford has little to offer a family. I have stayed in Residence Inns before, and this was emphatically not up to scratch - in spite of the best efforts of the lovely staff. Steer clear.

nunavut, canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We spent just one night here, we left Newport RI for a close destination before going back to Canada. Hotel is very close to major highways, I mean 30 seconds away! Checked-in nicely on a friday night, the short staff (due to hurricane warning Irene) was great. We had an 'accessible' room 414. HUGE room, kids loved it, kitchen is nicely furnished. There was a smell in room, as if no one accessed this room in many days, if not weeks. All the rest was pretty decent. I suggest you shop in West hartford (Whole foods there) about 8 minutes drive. Very secure indoor parking (16$), we had the room for 139$ internet special. Make sure you book it on the internet because they cannot match the offer at the front desk...

Queens, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed for two nights August 27&28 for a wedding held down the block from hotel. The room was amazing. There were 3 adults and with the loft setting it was perfect. One person downstairs on the sofabed and the other 2 upstairs in the loft. Two bathrooms, full kitchen. Very clean. Thought it was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. The complimentary breakfast was very enjoyable in a pleasant room. Lots of food choices and everything was fresh. Front desk personnel very accommodating. Would definitely recommend this hotel, especially for long term. Felt like an apartment.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I stayed at the Residence Inn for one night on a work trip to Hartford. The rooms seemed old, with warn carpets and stains on the ceiling of the bathroom. But the room (loft style) was quite large and I guess it wouldn't be a bad place to be if I need to come back to Hartford for an extended stay.

The free breakfast was what I would expect from a Residence Inn (waffles, eggs, cereal, etc.) I was looking forward to the free dinner as well, but unfortunately could not eat it because it was chicken and I'm a vegetarian. The food looked good though so hopefully I can try it next time.

Location was great. We could have walked to the federal building where we were going for work but chose not to because it was too hot out.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!