“They treated us well” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
MA
“They treated us well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

We went to CT to look at colleges for my son. We stayed one night at the Hilton in downtown Hartford. We are Hilton members so we received extra perks and had a room on a upper exclusive floor. The location is truly downtown and there is not a lot to do in this business district, but my younger son did enjoy the Discover Science Center. The hotel staff was efficient, friendly and helpful. Parking is an extra, $18 per day, and in an adjacent garage. This is an older hotel, but it has been refurbished and looked fairly fresh and contemporary. Our room was clean and comfortable, but small. There two beds were full size, not queen. The television worked, the bathroom was very nice and there were plenty of towels. They charge extra for WiFi, but we just used the free computer in the Members Lounge. Our room came with afternoon refreshments and a breakfast bar with coffee, juice, cereal, toast, fruit and hard boiled eggs. Overall, it was a pleasant experience. It is downtown and there are some city noises, but not enough to keep me awake. There is a large pool and fitness center. I would not recommend you try and put four people in the two beds, but for one night it was okay. It is right next door to the Hartford Stage and a major performance venue, so it would be a good place to stay if you were going to see a concert.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
GM_HiltonHartford, Jeff Roke, General Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the positive comments you provided. It was our pleasure to host you during your visit to Hartford.

I would also like to point out as an additional amenity to all our valued guests, we now provide complimentary high speed internet access in all of our guest rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to the Hartford area.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

After reading some negative reviews, I hesitated staying here, but eventually took a chance. I was pleasantly surprised. My room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The bed was amazingly comfortable and made with fresh linens. Plenty of closet space to hang clothes, as well as an ironing board and iron. The staff was pleasant and efficient. They even had a small snack area where you could get pick up treats for your sweet tooth. Overall, I enjoyed my quick trip to Hartford.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Okay, allow me to vent - why would you have a room (1404) with no where to hang any clothes?! Do you expect me to leave my coat, suit on the floor, on the bed, or a chair all night?!

There was one hook in the whole room, behind the bathroom door! No closet, no hangers, nothing.

And you'd think responding to an email about your stay and leaving commentary such as the above would garnish a response...nope.

I WAS a Hilton member...try an OMNI, totally different experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Given that this is in Hartford Connecticut, the leve of finish and sophistication of this hotel is about right but don't expect teh New York HIlton standards.

it was clean and generally OK.

We had a few service problems but it was generally OK.

I will say that the fitness center was very nice and the food at the cafe wasn't bad for breakfast (don't get the buffet).

If you have to be in downtown probably not a bad choice

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We just stayed at the Hilton Hartford for a night and despite some of the reviews. We had a marvelous stay. The hotel is located in a fringe area bordering a high crime area. That should not stop you though. There is a guard in the lobby at all times. There is a garage underground in which you take an elevator to the lobby. The garage felt perfectly safe.Although there was an 18 dollar parking charge that included in/out privileges . We stayed on the 16th floor in room 1630. There was a bottle of unusually complementary water in the room and the housekeeper on our floor was very accommodating to all our needs. We had 2 double beds which were extremely comfortable. We had a glorious view of the state capitol and the window opened with a bar for safety. It is centrally located within 10 minute walk to constitution plaza and the new science center. There is a wonderful indoor pool and fitness center on the 5th floor. Even better, separate mens and womens locker facilities that were at utmost in cleanliness. We ate breakfast at their restruant M&M. We arrived late for the buffet and there was not too much. What was there was delicious. Even better. The chef came to our table with a huge plate of fresh eggs and French toast. We were extremely pleased. It was one of the best hotel breakfasts we ever had. Overall, the Hilton is the best hotel to stay when in Hartford.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We arrived for a weekend stay to attend the Tina Turner concert next door at the XL Center. We were very leery about this hotel based on the recent reviews. We elected to go against the odds and book because of its proximity to the concert location. We paid a rate of $118 per night and admit that if we had paid more, we would have been highly disappointed. The rooms certainly weren't the cleanest and the walls seemed very thin. We had a connecting room next to strangers and could hear their conversation clearly (bride-to-be and her girlfriends). At 12:30 AM, I finally called the front desk to have them send someone up to address the noise. The plumbing pipes were also a nuisance and very noisy. The restaurant was very expensive, as was the internet. On the flip side, the beds were to die for and we had no problems falling asleep once our lovely neighbors quieted down. Another plus was that the parking garage had a side door so that one did not have to walk 1/2 block around the outside of the hotel. There is a Starbucks and a McDonalds within walking distance (2 blocks) as well as a nice shopping area just outside the hotel. It is also a block from the Hartford Stage Company and we had 2 bus loads of people attending something there making things pretty chaotic at check-out on Sunday. All in all a 3-star experience at best, but the staff really aimed to please and were helpful in every way. I would probably stay here again, but only if I were attending an event at the XL Center next door.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

I am a Diamond HHoners Hilton member, so I only stay in Hiltons. The Hartford Hilton treated me very nicely. The room was clean, spacious, and the wonderful Hilton beds make all the difference in travel. The day I arrived, there was a Manager's Reception, which I couldn't attend, but did meet the manager who was delightful. Hartford is not a top drawer place to go, in my opinion, but I will come back to this facility when business again calls me.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Hartford? Share your experiences!