“Hilton Hartford” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fresno, United States
“Hilton Hartford”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My room was overall good. Only complaint is i heard crying baby in the room next to mine. I'm pretty patient with kids though...I have my own 6 month old. But would reccomend to anyone stopping by in the area for business or pleasure. Good location.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you very much for the kind review on TripAdvisor. I am grateful to read that you would recommend our hotel and that the location was ideal during your stay. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you at our hotel again soon.

Duane Schroder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've stayed here a number of times over the years for work. I prefer to stay at Hiltons when traveling and, while the Homewood Suites in Hartford is a newer property, it's very loud due to the location so I stay at the Hilton on Trumbull. Usually my room is in decent shape. The rugs show wear, but it's not a new hotel. I feel like the linens and bathrooms are pretty clean and the staff is fine.

The problem for me with this hotel is the parking garage. The last time I stayed there I reported to the front desk staff that there were some men causing a disturbance in the garage when I parked my car. I didn't feel particularly safe because, if they were monitoring the garage (shouldn't they be? it's under their property and it's for hotel guests only), then they would have seen the issue. Still, I guess it didn't upset me that much because - months later - I booked there again. I parked in the garage twice yesterday (left to go out to dinner). The first time there was a condom, some soda cans and some other junk in the parking spot next to my car. The second time I walked around my car and saw beer bottles, a fast food bag, and a stack of meat - seriously. There were what looked like a couple of steaks on the ground with a pile of hot dogs on top of them. It was kind of dark and I wasn't sure what I was looking at. It was all still there this morning when I went to my car. I hate to give up on the Hilton chain but, when in Hartford, I think I'll switch to the Marriott. The parking garage is just too awful at the Hilton.

Room Tip: High floor to minimize street noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I would like to take a moment to acknowledge your review on TripAdvisor. Please know that the safety and security of each of our guests is our top priority and we take these matters seriously. Regarding the parking garage, unfortunately we do not own the garage and are required to lease space from the city of Hartford. The Hilton Hartford security team patrols the Hilton side of the garage and takes every measure to guarantee this area is secure for our guests. I have forwarded your comments to the Hartford Parking Authority and have stressed the importance of taking immediate action to ensure a safe and sanitary parking experience.

We value your input and hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and accommodations you expect from us during your next trip to Hartford. Please feel free to contact me directly if you should have and further concerns.

Pawling, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I attended a reading conference in the hotel with a group of colleagues and had a very pleasant stay. The banquet staff was very attentive during our conference. I recently had shoulder surgery and needed a chair with arms for the week. Banquet manager, Luis Medina gave me his desk chair in order to make sure I was comfortable. Talk about going above and beyond for the client! They checked on us frequently to adjust the temperature and make sure we were all happy. The drinks and coffee were fine, but we were all looking for the light snacks that most conference centers provide for their conference guests. The hotel room was comfortable and clean. We would have enjoyed a greater selection of tv channels, and the hair dryer's handle got hot and burned my hands when I used it! There was a housekeeper on the 7th floor who was also lovely and accommodating as I needed to get a bag of ice and towel to take care of my injury - I wish I had gotten her name. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I would like to take a moment to thank you personally for your positive feedback on TripAdvisor. I will certainly pass along your comments regarding Luis Medina and the Banquet staff. While I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of your room I apologize for the unfortunate incident with the hairdryer. This seems to be an isolated incident and I am happy to hear that our housekeeping staff was attentive to this matter. Thank you again for your comments. We truly value your experience you look forward to welcoming you back.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Over 300.00 for a night and Ugh. Walk the hallways and meet other people who can't get into their rooms because the key card system barely works. Wake up with acute sinusitus from an AC system that sucks all moisture out of the air. Shave in a bathroom with barely the same lighting as a nightlight. Enjoy a desk with a lamp with a broken switch. Wait over 30 minutes for an order of scrambled eggs and toast in the restaurant only to find out the kitchen never got the order. At least I had lukewarm tea to sip while I waited. And then enjoy checking out by watching both customers at the desk loudly complain about errors on their bills. I'm too tired to list other indignities.

This used to be a reasonably priced hotel with good service. Those days are gone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with the TripAdvisor community. Your input related to your food service is appreciated and is something I’ll use as we work to continuously improve our hotel. I do apologize for your poor experience with our key cards. I am actively working with our facilities team to correct the key problems that some of our extended stay guests may experience. We strive to make every guests' experience a positive one and we are sorry you were disappointed. We will use your comments as part of our ongoing training as we work towards the goal of superior hospitality. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Hartford so that we may show you the hotel experience you deserve.

Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

What kind of a hotel offers a room without a bed? The Hilton Hartford! I am a Hilton HHonors Silver participant and was checked into room 703 on July 16, 2013 at the Hilton Hartford and found the room to be furnished with no bed (only a pull out couch), no desk, no chair, and no alarm clock. In exchange for my discomfort, Hilton gave me a complimentary 1-liter bottle of Fiji water and a 9-piece box of chocolates. No discount off the rate I paid.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The price quote when reserved online was not the price I received. The staff did nothing but pass me from one person to another and the final "manager" just wanted me to wait until I checked out and look at the final statement. I will not use my final day of vacation for that. We were on the 21st floor and could hear traffic like we were on the first floor. Also could here conversations from rooms on either side.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Groton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my second year staying at the Hilton Hartford for ConnectiCon. It is a comparable price to the Marriot, which is connected directly with the convention center, and it is a short shuttle ride or walk away (about 10 minutes).

The hotel was very clean, the staff were very helpful and quick, and they accommodated last minute requests for my group and managed to get us two connecting rooms, allowing us to spread out a bit easier. The beds were very comfortable. Even during the high traffic times of the convention, the hotel was fairly quiet and the security guards are quick to disperse any crowding and noise that may come from people in the hallways.

As I was traveling light, I had to make use of the hotel shampoo and wash. They were fantastic, had a subtle, but pleasant scent, and left my hair very smooth and clean. The pool is great, but the hot tub and saunas are a little on the small side, so beware if you suffer from claustrophobia. The fitness center here is 24/7, so daily routines are not a problem here.

A little coffee maker is in each room with some complementary coffee, but this doesn't last long. Also, the news stand beverages and drinks are quite expensive. You are better off purchasing from a vending machine which charges a little more than average. The restaurant there is a little on the expensive side due to its convenience, but the food is fairly good. Look to spend between $15 - $20 for a meal.

It is embedded in the middle of a bunch of restaurants and bars, namely Dunkin Donuts for the morning and City Steam for the evening. This made it much easier to get great food and enjoy late evenings without having to walk across Hartford late at night or pick up a cab. The streets around the hotel are quite open and clean as well.

I will warn you that price for the hotel parking garage is quite steep, though this is not unusual to travelers familiar with parking in Hartford. It is $18.00 per night when you validate your parking pass with the hotel. This will be charged on your hotel bill for your convenience. This makes leaving the parking garage smooth. The bright side of this is the in and out privileges that comes with the cost. If you will be needing to use your car, you aren't stuck paying in and out every time.

Another option is finding alternative transportation to the hotel as the star shuttle, which is just across the street from the hotel, will provide you with a free service to many key locations throughout Hartford. This makes getting around without a car easier.

All in all it was a positive experience and my friends and I enjoyed ourselves at the convention.

Room Tip: The 5th Floor will give you access to the pool, fitness center, and locker rooms. If you are going t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for being a guest of our hotel and for sharing the positive feedback from your stay with the TripAdvisor community. Your comments regarding the efficiency of our staff and quality of our rooms are much appreciated. The line of amenities that you enjoyed in your room are from Peter Thomas Roth. I am happy that you were able to benefit from the fitness center as well as the ease of the Star shuttle. Regarding the parking fee, unfortunately we do not own the garage and are required to lease space from the City of Hartford. As a result like many similar downtown hotels throughout the country we have no choice but to pass along the expense to our guests. This being said, thank you for acknowledging the convenience of having this charge billed directly to your guest room. Our top priority is the satisfaction of our guests and we look forward to the opportunity to serve your future needs.

Been to Hilton Hartford? Share your experiences!