“Consistently poor service, keys rarely work, room upgrades rare” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Points!
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Hartford
Boston, Massachusetts
“Consistently poor service, keys rarely work, room upgrades rare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is frequently almost full not because it's a great hotel but because it doesn't have much competition in Hartford. My poor rating isn't based on one experience but about 6 stays (20 nights) over a 2 month period for work travel.

Service is below Hilton levels. This check in process isn't particularly welcoming and on several occasions I've been told my corporate rate was confirmed only to find out on my final bill that it wasn't. They tried to tell me they couldn't honor that rate any more even though 3 of my coworkers were given the corporate rate for those same nights. On several occasions the hot water hasn't worked, one time they credited points but clearly they haven't solved the problem. Finally they only give body wash to people on executive floors, seriously how cheap are you? Cheap motels give body wash and you claim to be a premium hotel.

Keys are a constant problem. First the keys usually don't make it more than 1-2 nights before they stop working on your room and in the elevator. This isn't because things in my pocket; I've never had issues this frequently at hotels. It's a constant annoyance of getting to your room, bieng locked out and having to go downstairs for new keys. Similarly on 3-4 out of 6 stays my gold status wasn't designated on my key and I couldn't get into the club floor. On at least two occasions this was despite me asking them to make sure that it was designated. Really it can't be that hard.

Room upgrades rarely happen. I got upgraded maybe a quarter of my stays and the rooms were identical with only an additional bottle of water and body wash. What's the point? Status does get you access to a decent club room with free breakfast and snacks in the evening which is nice.

Room Tip: Get it at the Marriott or Sheraton in Rocky Hill or Windsor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal guest of our hotel and for sharing feedback from your stays with the TripAdvisor community. Your input related to the appointment of our rooms is appreciated and is something I’ll use as we work to continuously improve our hotel.

I do apologize for your poor experience with our key cards. I am actively working with our facilities team to correct the key problems that some of our extended stay guests may experience. I’ve also taken your feedback regarding the room amenities to my team and we’ll be looking into additions that we may be able to offer in the future.

As a returning guest and HHonors member, I value your input and hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and accommodations you expect from us during your next trip to Hartford.

Duane Schroder,

428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Bucks County PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and in good repair .I want to make special mention for the
folks that drive the shuttle as they will come and pick you up all over near the hotel such as restaurants ,from the train , from the office to the train and alleviate the taxis worry. A great service thank you.

• Stayed January 2013
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
I would like to take a moment to acknowledge your kind review on Trip Advisor. Please know that your feedback is truly appreciated. I am so pleased the Hotel was well-located for your needs and that you found our transportation services convenient. Your patronage is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you at our hotel again very soon.

Duan Schroder
Cheshire, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked the room through kayak.com for 200 dollars on New Year's Eve, a fair price for a room in the center of Hartford near all the action. However kayak charged my CREDIT card when I booked online, and then hotel charged my Debit card an additional 200 the day after. Thats 400 dollars for a ONE NIGHT STAY. I called Hilton on the 2nd of January and they assured me the charge would be removed, I waited four days and no refund was issued, I called again on the 6th and they again claimed they would rectify the error. STILL NOTHING. I have given them ample time to correct there mistake with no success so I've refuted the charge through Capitol One. Due to the Hartford Hilton's failure to resolve this SIMPLE ISSUE I will never stay in a Hilton hotel again.

Room Tip: Club floor is a ripoff save your money
Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hi Alex – Please accept my apology for this card situation. I take all the information posted on TripAdvisor very seriously and have followed up with my associates regarding this matter. As of this writing, the charges have been reversed. I acknowledge that this level of service is unacceptable and I’m sorry that it took longer than usual for the hold to be released. I’d also like to assure you and the TripAdvisor community that this was an isolated incident and truly not representative of typical experiences at our hotel or brand. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally regarding this matter, so don’t hesitate to reach out to me by calling the hotel.

Duane Schroder

Travelers are raving about these Hartford hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a hotel room hear last minute for New Years Eve. I was a little worried at first because I'd read some mixed reviews but I was very happy with our stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful and checking in and out was very quick and easy. The location was also perfect for NYE. We were within walking distance to Hartford nightlife and lots of nice restaurants which was very convenient. The only negative comment I have is that they charge $18 to self park in their garage which I think is a bit much. I don't feel that I should be charged to park my own car in a hotel garage if I have a room there. Also the walls seem to be a bit thin and you could hear people in the hallway sometimes but it wasn't a big deal for us. Other than that I have to say I had a really nice stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 12/31/12 using our Hilton honors points. We were upgraded to a nicer room which included a complimentary appetizer and complimentary breakfast for only $18 for both. The staff from start to finish we're terrific. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. The room was very clean and overlooked Bushnell Park where we were able to see the 6:00 fireworks. The buffet breakfast was very good with a lot to choose from, including pancakes, eggs hash browns, fruit, delicious. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The best part of the hotel is the convenience to the train station.
The hot tub was broken.
We had problems with the locks on the door.
We could hear a baby crying from the room below.
They charged you for wine in the lounge level (for Hilton Gold & above members)

Disappointing stay and puts a bad name on the Hilton brand.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Westport, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Needs some renovation but still clean and acceptable. Good if you absolutely have to be in downtown Hatford. Concert was on across the street and the hotel had many (6?) security guards out front. Garage is awkward since some access renovation was underway. Staff was very pleasant. Really- everyone! Half-price appetizers at the bar all night on Tuesdays/Thursdays was a GREAT deal. Had 3 with a glass of wine- $25.00! Would sleep there again but if you have a car and can stay 5-6 miles away, there are liiely better deals to be found.
But then again, you would need to deal with AM traffic on weekdays which is horrible. Your call- but not bad.

Room Tip: high floors ARE very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Hartford? Share your experiences!