“This hotel is number one at being average” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, MA
“This hotel is number one at being average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

The Hilton Hartford really doesn't knock your socks off in any way, but it's sufficiently average enough that there's nothing too much to complain about either. Basically, if you're in it for the points, you won't be overly disappointed.

Rooms are ok: nothing new or trendy, but not noticeably tired either. The TVs aren't flat screens, there are no minibars or refrigerators, and the walls are adorned with standard hotel art and some faux silk wallpaper that reminds me of 1992. The bathrooms have strange floorplans, as the toilet sits flush against the shower and you have to do a lateral lunge just to reach the toilet paper under the sink. Rooms are usually clean, though I noticed a dried-up pee stain on the underside of the toilet seat this time around. In short, I wouldn't propose to anyone here, but it's fine for solo business travelers.

Room service is average though pretty limited for a hotel with this many business travelers. There is a nice bar on the first floor, which is great for relaxing or working. The gym is reasonably adequate if all you need is a treadmill, but you can use the much better equipped (and adjacent) YMCA gym for $6 per day. The Club Lounge is moderately sized; again, nothing too impressive. Parking is conveniently in an attached garage at $18 per night. It is almost too convenient to my room, as I am exactly at eye level with it, and overlook the lovely concrete wall buttressing the sides of the structure.

Service is slightly friendly, slightly indifferent, slightly unpolished. My main beef with the place is that they seem to have an inordinately large number of double/double rooms. I never can seem to get a king-bedded room, no matter how hard I beg the front desk at check-in. The location, however, is the best in Hartford, and you can walk to area restaurants (which is surprisingly unique for such a business-oriented town).

Room Tip: Insist on a high floor
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Shoreline CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

The Hilton is by FAR the best hotel in Hartford. The staff from check in, baggage, housekeeping, concierge lounge all have it "goin on" first class. I can not say enough great things about this hotel and the staff that make it PERFECT! They always go out of their way and recently helped me with a last minute reservation for a colleage.
The location is perfect, nice walk to many good restaurants. The hotel has lovely faclities that I never seem to find time to use. When staying in Hartford the HILTON is always my choice and NEVER has let me down! Thanks to all...TR

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Hello daisy20071960
Thank you so much for your wonderful words about our hotel! We work very hard to make sure our guests have the best experience as we know, this is your home away from home while on the road. I have passed along your comments to each department of our hotel to share with all associates to let them know, their hard work is appreciated not just by our management, but by our guests as well! We look forward to having you with us again and as always, safe travels!
Helen Carr
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed here during the Winterfest volleyball tournament, along with a number of other teams from the Northeast US. The hotel was very busy that weekend, but that didn't seem to phase the staff at all. We were greeted pleasantly when we checked in, which was nice after the hectic drive through downtown Hartford traffic. We had asked for a room with a king size bed and a cot for our daughter. The cot was not in the room when we arrived, but was delivered shortly after we checked in. My wife ate at the restaurant the first night while my daughter and I went to the first night activities at the convention center. The two of us had room service when we returned, which was a thrill for my daughter.

Our team had to play in the early pools on the first day, and the hotel restaurant was not open by the time we had to leave. Luckily, we were able to find something to eat at the convention center. That was the only glitch in our stay. A number of the players (and their families) had lunch in the restaurant when we returned, and we got to watch the throngs of UConn fans walk by after the basketball game finished.

On our second day, the team decided that we wanted to order pizza in rather than attempting to find a downtown restaurant that could take 20-30 people at once. The staff was happy to open up a meeting room for us to use, which was very much appreciated by all.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Hello TigerBait,
We are delighted to hear you had such a memorable stay with us! Our hotel takes great pride in going above and beyond to ensure our guests are comfortable and experience the top service in Hartford. I have passed your kind words on to our staff to congratulate them on such amazing service, especially on a weekend we were so busy. We were all happy to hear that you and your team enjoyed the Pizza Party and hope that it helped make the weekend one you will always remember. We look forward to your future stays with us and best of luck to your daughter in upcoming volleyball games!
Safe Travels,
Helen Carr
eCommerce Manager
Hilton Hartford
Boston, MA, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

The room had the look of the '90s or even the '80s. Obsolete phone, no flat screen TV, tired decor. Expensive parking in garage under the hotel. Room service came from the coffee shop; was pretty good fish dish.

Lobby decor was updated and staff was ecxcellent.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
New yOrk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Upon check in we had a problem with our reservation but it was quickly rectified by the front desk. Convenience of being attached to XL center was awesome. Pool was nice but hot tub and sauna were not working properly. Hotel is starting to show its age but friendly and efficient staff more than made up for it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Only problem the T.V. was old and out dated, really bad quality for a Hilton Hotel. The Spa/Jacuzzi was old, very small, and dirty.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Hartford during my visit to Connecticut on a family emergency. With all the worries and emotional drama. The staff made my stay very enjoyable and comforting. I am used to the big city scenery and I was taken by the colonial view from my hotel room. Room service was awesome and houskeeping really did a fantastic job. I would also like to thank the receptionist who assisted me when I lost my parking ticktet to get my car out of the garage.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
hcarr, Helen Carr eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Hello yenlasalle ,
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us! Your comments are greatly appreciated and have been shared with not only our room service, front desk and housekeeping associates, but our whole team! It is our pleasure to provide a great stay for you and we hope to see you again soon.

Safe Travels,
Hartford Hilton

Been to Hilton Hartford? Share your experiences!