“Needs a lot of work..” 2 of 5 stars

Mark Twain Hostel
131 Tremont Street, Hartford, CT 06105   |
“Needs a lot of work..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I booked it online, for 2 nights. When I arrived there, after a long walk from the bus station, I realized that it was a mistake.. The location is not that good.. It looks like a residential area, not one for tourists.. Since usually tourists go in the hostels to save money, it sucks if you have to pay for a bus to go almost anywhere..
The hostel is owned by a couple of old people, I think they where Japanese.. Heir English is not very good, and it can be a real problem, especially if you are not very good at English yourself.. When I arrived, the host told me he didn't receive the reservation.. I checked the website, and they do have my reservation.. Other problem, they want you to pay CASH.. Fortunately I still had the amount for 1 night, but it would have been a very big problem if I didn't.. They should say it on their announce online.. After almost 1 hour, trying to understand why didn't they have my reservation, I paid for the fist night, with the c hence to pay for the second the next day or leave in the morning.. They gave me the key to my dorm room..
The dorm room had 8 beds, each bed with a lamp (I tried two of them, none worked..), two or three chairs, and a few doors.. One of the doors is a closet.. The other one is the bathroom.. The bathrooms really needs to be upgraded.. There is a bathtub with shower (but taking a bath is forbidden...), the door doesn't close completely, and the sink was full of rust..
Both the bathroom and the room floor weren't very clean.. The bed was uncomfortable.. The curtains are like transparent, so they are useless, since when the sun rise, the light will get in.. The place is by quiet, but it's also cold!!! I was able to sleep only a few hours, because of the cold first and the sunlight after..
In the end, that's not even a real hostel.. It's probably the house of that man, who tried to modify it into a hostel, without success.. The price is too expensive of a place like that.. I suggest you to FIND ANOTHER HOSTEL.. Or pay more and stay in a hotel..

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Alberto M

Ayrshire, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

On arriving in Hartford, we believed this hostel to be fairly central. We were very wrong. We decided to walk from the Greyhound station as we believed it to be close by but 3 hours (and a lot of yelled insults from random strangers!) later, we regretted our decision! It is in a residential neighbourhood and very hard to find (despite 3 phone calls to the owners for hard to understand instructions).
On our arrival, we were doubtful we had the correct address. It is more like someone's home than a hostel and is very run down. We had a double room and our beds were very uncomfortable. There were only one other party there when we were and the noise from their TV (which we didn't have) kept us from a good night's sleep.
The owners were very nice but this place is seriously in need of renovation and we were extremely relieved we had only booked for one night! This, coupled with a very uninteresting Hartford due to a public holiday, meant that our stay was not enjoyable at all!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank chunte27

Travelers are raving about these Hartford hotels

Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

This hostel has seen better days. Especially the bathrooms are in need of some maintenance or renovation. The tub walls were giving in and the basin had chunks missing. My matress was very soft, but my friend's was ok, so you sleeping comfort seems to depend on your luck. It is very quiet and rather dark. All in all I have been to cheaper hostels that were much better taken care of (though non of them was located in the US), the price was ok for one night, but travelling as a group of two, staying in a hotel would have been the better option.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank LivJaden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hartford Marriott Downtown
Radisson Hotel Hartford
Radisson Hotel Hartford
#6 of 10 in Hartford
3.0 of 5 stars 173 reviews

Been to Mark Twain Hostel? Share your experiences!