“Decent price for the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   185 Brainard Road, Hartford, CT 06114 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
BEST VALUE RATE BOOK NOW
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Hartford
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Decent price for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This HIE is an example of what I expect from the chain. Clean rooms, decent breakfast and fresh coffee, easy to find, etc. The water pressure was decent too. Prices on the rooms were a little high, but I feel that way in any larger city. Staff was friendly and easy to deal with. If I ever have to go back to Hartford, this is probably where I'll stay.

Room Tip: Elevators are halfway down the hall from the front door, FYI. And the handicap-accessible rooms are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Chelmsford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We went to Hartford to see a show and booked a room here. At check-in, I received a royal welcome: fresh baked cookies, snack tray and even dog biscuits for our dog. The room was very clean and well appointed. Our beds were very comfy. We had a great night's sleep. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here. It was a great hotel and very reasonably priced. Despite what others have posted, this hotel is VERY easy to find. The hotel staff were also very welcoming to our dog.
The only downsides to our stay is that the room doors were not well soundproofed. We heard lots of hallway conversations when what sounded like a large group returned to the hotel. Also, the breakfast buffet had been picked clean when we got there. There wasn't much food left and when I asked the hostess if there would be more, she just shrugged and gave me a disgusted look.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Frank B,

I appreciate the kind words about the hotel's cleanliness and friendliness our staff. I thank you for taking the time and acknowledging you enjoyed your stay and we made you and your pet feel welcome.

I would like to address the breakfast attendant in question. If you could email me your stay dates so I may verify the schedule. hartfordgm@wnwhospitality.com. I can work with her and offer solutions if this situation arises again; I appreciate your constructive criticism as it helps with ongoing training and awareness.

We hope you stay with us again for another Hartford event!

Jersey Shore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

At first sight when driving up to this hotel, it looks like a dump. Once inside, it's a typical motel style place- not exactly a dump. However, it's not like the updated Holiday Inns I have been to & was expecting.

After walking through the cloud of cigarette smoke at the entrance I went to check in. The woman who checked me in was rude & unfriendly(perhaps cannot handle too many guests at once by herself). The hallways were very warm and muggy. Once in the 1st floor room it stunk of mildew. We asked to change, and (the same rude lady answered the phone) she said she could change us. After waiting and no one coming to change us, I called again. She said she was very busy and hasn't had the time to get some one to bring us the new room keys. Once we got our new keys & new room on the 2nd floor it was better. No smell, thank goodness. Bathroom & room were clean. I must say, though we paid for a suite with a queen bed- there is no way that was a queen size! It was definitely a double size & not very comfortable. If I had a tape measure I would have proven it. 2 flat screen tvs, but not enough channels. Breakfast was full of high fat/processed junk foods just like the last H.I. Express I went to(so that was no surprise). Although they do offer a lot of choices - as long as you don't mind that kind of food. I would appreciate high quality but less choices-just saying. I also have to mention the "Gourmet style" coffee was good. Another positive mention was the breakfast room attendant. She was so sweet and wonderfully talkative! A fine asset to this establishment. So all in all, even for just one night I would NOT stay again because of the negative points I just mentioned & my really bad first impression of this place. I also did not feel it was a good value. When there are so many choices in the area for around the same rate, I would try something else next time. Disappointed in H.I. Express!

Room Tip: Smoking is still allowed in CT hotels, YUK. This hotel accepts PETS-YUK!!! USS Chowder Pot next door...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear lodee73,

I see that you are a valued member of TripAdvisor as you have several reviews posted. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I can honestly say I have never been told that I work at a "dump". As a matter of fact the staff and I take pride in our hotel as I have been here a few years.

I am equally surprised that you did not enjoy the Chowder Pot as it is a local favorite; winning numerous awards from Connecticut Magazine and voted Best Seafood by North Haven and Hartford Advocate for 17 years!

We do have a smoking section as CT is not a smoke free state, as of yet. We accommodate smoking travelers in a designated area of the hotel. Unfortunately, we cannot control our guests from smoking outside of the hotel. In regards to pets we are pet friendly as many pets consider their pet a part of their family. We designate certain rooms for our guests travelling with pets and offer treats for the dogs.

I am concerned that you found one of our team members "rude and unfriendly". Please call me at 860-525-1000 or email me at hartfordgm@wnwhospitality.com so I can address your concerns and further train my staff as needed.

Holiday Inn Express properties have guidelines that we follow for breakfast which does include the World Famous Cinnamon Rolls---which are sweet and melt in your mouth Many guests look for that extra when eating away from home as we also serve warm homemade cookies in the afternoon.

Please contact meand we can discuss further.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I definitely enjoyed my stay. It was as clean and put together as the Hilton or Marriot for half the price. I was looking for something affordable and nice....this was it. If you are driving this is a perfect location, right off of the highway and an exit away from downtown Hartford. If you are taking the bus it is a little inconvenient. I am really big on cleanliness and presentation and this met my standards.

• Stayed August 2012
gainesville va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

this is a nice hotel but very difficult to find because of terribly poor signage. spoke to front desk about it at time of check in and was told that the owner had been told the same by many but refuses to do anything about it. staff at the hotel was very helpful, friendly and accomodating. even when our room to which we were assigned was found to not have been cleaned even by early evening.a male front desk person whose name escapes me now was very helpful by bringing a new key for different room up to us.property is very large. room was large, clean and comfortable. breakfast was typical but friendly helpful staff there.would stay there again if i could find it! really good restaurant next door..

Room Tip: hotel is spread out but our second floor room was quiet..
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wanderer69_9
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Wanderer69_9;

I am sorry you had such difficulty finding us as we are right off route 91 at exit 27 on the corner. We do have a billboard on 91 going northbound with directions and we have a large lit Holiday Inn Express & Suites signs on the back of the hotel. Usually when guests call we tell them we are right next door to the Chowder Pot and they find us! Sorry for the confusion. Our owners actually pay monthly for the billboard and added the lit signage so we could be seen from the highway so I am unsure who has been given incorrect information but I will speak with the front desk staff.

We do have a hotel with larger rooms; many guest comment on the size. I am glad you enjoyed once we got you settled. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our staff and that you will return. We hear many rave reviews on the Chowder Pot as it is a local favorite.

We will see you soon! If you need directions call and we can email prior to your arrival.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here for one night while in town for a wedding, and got a great price. The hotel is a little outdated but very clean, which is always my biggest concern. The breakfast was fully stocked and provided many options, including fresh fruit. Our neighbors were loud through the thin walls, but quieted down once we asked them to do so. Considering the great breakfast, convenient location, and cleanliness, this hotel was a good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear amester57,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I am glad you were happy with the value of our hotel. I hope you had a great time at the wedding--usually so many cherished memories are created.

I appreciate you acknowledging our breakfast which is served daily from 6am to 10am with the mouth watering cinnamon roll!....our great location right off rte 91 and obviously the most important to most travelers the cleanliness of our hotel. The staff and I take pride in our property and the service we provide.

Hopefully you will visit us again!

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Just wanted to say thank you to Phyllis who went above and beyond the call of duty by helping me find the meetings I was looking for. She also drove me to the University of Hartford each morning with a smile and offered genuine conversation! Your extended effort really made a difference in my stay! Thank you for all your help!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 22ReginaO
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear 22ReginaO,

The staff at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites do make a difference!!!!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautiful review. We are fortunate to have Phyllis on our team as she is so high energy and motivates her co-workers throughout the day.

We have daily meetings with the staff and I look forward to shring this review and acknowledging Phyllis! Hopefully you will be staying with us again soon!

Lisa
GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hartford Marriott Downtown
3.0 of 5 stars 203 reviews
Residence Inn Hartford Downtown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Comfort Inn & Suites East Hartford

Been to BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!