“The history sells this place” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 55 things to do in Hartford
More attraction details
Owner description: The Old State House is a registered National Landmark and open to the public year-round. The restored historic chambers, and grounds are now the site of events such as exhibits, curiosity museum, hands-on history, guided/self-guided tours and more! It is managed by the Connecticut General Assembly
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“The history sells this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Old State House needed some TLC when we visited it. We were impressed by the visitor's center. We loved the anti-slavery history and hope this building will be preserved forever.

1 Thank TravelingTrioFromCT

Enfield, Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Boring”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Did not find anything exciting about this old building except the outside sidewalk people. Kids didn't want to stay here

Visited September 2012
1 Thank traveltime1951
Hartford, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“History comes alive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

really enjoyed meeting the actors in period costume. you need to ask questions to really get a feel for it.

2 Thank Graysonsmama
Cromwell
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We had our wedding here. It was amazing. The beautiful pillars and classic look was good for pictures! The staff was good too!

1 Thank Makeba H
Tampa, Florida
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Don't Miss the Mortensen Gallery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I was so warmly greeted upon my arrival setting the mood for the rest of my visit. The receptionist was very helpful in advising me on my travel plans. I enjoyed the Old State House with the self-guided tour (I opted out of the guided tour) and particularly enjoyed the Mortensen Gallery especially the "We Contribute" exhibit. I found that incredibly well done. Thanks!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank The_Hailes

Been to Old State House? Share your experiences!