“Great food but poor service” 3 of 5 stars

The Talbot Inn
High Street, Ripley, Woking GU23 6BB, England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Ripley B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom
“Great food but poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at the Talbot last night and chose to have evening meal there. The room was only average and located in an annexe at the rear of the main building which we found disappointing. We booked in to eat at 9:00 and were seated promptly but that was the only thing we found prompt. The service was slow and when our meals arrived they were wrong! We ordered steak and potatoes and fish and chips, not much to mix up but they managed it, the food was excellent. I then ordered desert and had to wait 30 minutes for a bowl of rice pudding, again poor service as the restaurant was far from busy. The desert was excellent. We then returned to our room' the bathroom fan was stuck on and very noisy.... Breakfast next morning proved to be equal to the service and food quality received the evening before, fantastic food but terrible service, I had to go and order as they for hot about us!!! The head waiter had more food on his jacket than was on our plates, cleanliness of a car boot caravan greasy spoon, quite off putting. Generally the room was only average, the service extremely poor with the head waiters clothes off putting but the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main building
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Emma D, Guest Relations Manager at The Talbot Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Peter G,

Thank you for your review I am glad you enjoyed your food whilst you were staying with us. I hve passed your comments on to the relevant departments to address the issues in your review. If you would like to email me I would be more than happy to address the issues raised my email is operations@thetalbotripley.com

389 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having stayed at a terrible hotel in Godalming it was such a relief to stay here in a place where the decor, cleanliness, quality of food and fitments were all excellent for such a reasonable price. One drawback was the 'chav' family were on day release and seemed to be staying at the same time and were oblivious that talking at all hours in the hallway may disturb other guests. I took great delight in returning the favour at 5am when I had to get up!
Staff were excellent. Just wish I had been on holiday.

Room Tip: I was at the side away from the main road which may get busy at times.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Emma D, Guest Relations Manager at The Talbot Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Beaks21

Thank you for your review I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us after your troubled one at Godalming. I will pass your comments on to the staff and I hope that we see you back again soon.

Brighton, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had travelled from our home in Brighton to the Harry Potter Studio Tour near Watford on the Saturday morning and stayed at the hotel on the Saturday night. The whole thing was a present from our daughter and son in law, who did all the driving!
We checked in mid afternoon and were happy with our rooms in the new part of the hotel, which overlooked a small grassy area. After freshening up we spent a pleasant couple of hours in the garden with wine before changing for dinner. The three course dinner was delicious and the service impeccable. The dining room is light and airy with the full length glass windows looking out onto the garden. Neither of us slept too well as it was a muggy, humid night but we enjoyed a lovely leisurely breakfast. My husband and I are cereals and toast people, but son in law enjoyed a Full English and daughter said her Eggs Benedict was the best she had ever eaten.
Overall it was a positive experience and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The traffic on Sunday morning seems to be quite heavy, so we were pleased we were not in the old par...
Dear Woodie49

Thank you for your review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you daughter loved our Eggs Benedict.

I do hope we see you again soon.

Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

we had a 3 night stay during a heatwave no a/c in room so had to suffer from a VERY hot south facing room The room was comfortable with large soft bed and nice but slightly tired décor bathroom large shower great but could have done with out the mould along the bottom corner of shower unit The staff were helpful and friendly Nice to sit in the garden and listen to some lovely live singing one night during our stay Good choice at breakfast

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Emma D, Guest Relations Manager at The Talbot Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Silvercross,

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you found the staff helpful and friendly and I will feed this back to them. I am also pleased you enjoyed our live singing event we hosted whilst you were staying with us, it is nice to get feedback from the customers regarding this new event. I do apologise for the mould with in your bathroom and all though we do regularly deep clean each room I will get housekeeping to tackle this issue.

I do hope to see you again soon at the Talbot.

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Booked a dinner bed & breakfast deal, paid for upgrade to modern deluxe room which was well worth doing as room 404 was perfect in the sweltering heat wave, it was very cool even though it didn't have air con. Restaurant has large full length windows as the rear wall with glass doors opening onto terrace and gardens. Food was very nice - evening meal was well cooked and staff were pleasant and friendly. Lots of choice for breakfast - full English definitely worth having.

Room Tip: Room 404 perfect if weather is very hot as it stays cool all day
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sam L

I am very glad to here that you enjoyed your stay recently with us and that you found our team helpful and friendly, I will pass the feedback on.

I do hope to see you again soon at the Talbot.

Brighton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked a travel zoo deal for the Talbot in March to celebrate my partner's birthday, I had heard wonderful things about the inn, so we both had high expectations. The deal covered dinner, wine, and over night stay and breakfast, which was perfect for us. Unfortunately, when we arrived (after hiring a car and driving from Brighton), we were told that they had no record of our booking, despite me having a print out of the confirmation and my parter having the e-mail on his phone. There was a wedding taking place at the Talbot, so I have to admit that I was suspicious about the staff not having a record of the booking, as it did feel that they had over looked it and then panicked when we arrived. The manger came to speak to us, both Great Little Breaks and travel zoo where blamed, a free drink was produced, along with the promise of a wonderful alternative a a nearby hotel. In the spirit of not wanting to disrupt someone's wedding, we agreed to this, only to find that we had been packed off to the local conference centre for a buffet dinner and a travel lodge room. We left immediately, called the manager at the Talbot, who seemed surprised that we were unhappy with the alternative despite it being as far removed from what we had booked as you could get. I then had a battle with both the Talbot and Great Little breaks about a refund, which took weeks to be resolved, but my partner's birthday had been ruined and I do find that difficult to forgive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your review whilst I do appreciate your comments, we have gone through a number of changes since you came to stay in March due to customer feedback and I hope that if you would be willing to contact me directly on operations@thetalbotripley.com we may be able to arrange a complimentary stay to enable us to change your view point on us.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Arrived and was greeted by a happy member of staff in the oldest part of the Inn. Given our keys and direction of our room. We were in the newer part of the Inn. The room was lovely. Clean and nicely decorated. The bed was a little soft for my liking ( I like a very hard bed) but you can't please all people all of the time. We had dinner here that night. The food was nicely presented and even though there was a mistake with one of the dishes it was put right in the correct way and the manager also came to say sorry. Breakfast was in the restaurant too. We had the continental that was part of the room. Good choice of cereals toast, French pastries, and fruit. Coffee was good and the orange juice freshly squeezed. Over all I was very happy and my boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay very much. Would go back again if I was in the area.

Dear Kengis,

Thank you for your review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we will see you again soon at the Talbot.

Katarina Last

Been to The Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!