“You'll Enjoy Your Visit!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Hamden, Connecticut, United States
“You'll Enjoy Your Visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I've been to the Playwright about three or four times now; once on a date, once during St.Patrick's Day, and a couple of times just because. Each time I've been the food was very good, the service has always been excellent, and the atmosphere has been fun.
The burgers are really good, as are the fish and chips, and the curry...yes curry! The bartender there makes the best Dark and Stormy!

• Visited June 2014

East Haven
“Great Service, Excellent Meatloaf”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a late lunch on a Saturday. We were the only customers in the dining room, so it was quiet. There were customers on the patio and in the bar area. We had an order of the onion rings, which were listed on the menu as beer-battered, but the coating, which was crisp and not greasy, was more of a panko-crumb batter. I had the corned beef reuben, which was so large I brought half home. The corned beef was thickly sliced, so it was somewhat of a struggle to bite through it. It had a great flavor without being overly salty. The sandwich was served with standard steak fries.

However, my husband's meatloaf was absolutely outstanding. The thick slices had a great texture, not dense, and fantastic flavor, with minced peppers, carrots and onions, wrapped in bacon. Beef gravy was drizzled over the meatloaf and whipped mashed potatoes. It was served with fresh, steamed mixed vegetables. I'm not much of a meatloaf fan, but I will order this the next time we come.

Our server's recommendation for a light beer for me was spot on and my husband enjoyed the perfectly drawn Guiness. Service was attentive and well timed. We'll be back.

• Visited June 2014
Hamden, Connecticut
“Feels like being in Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love the Playwright. Great comfort food. I have eaten there for over a decade as my office is directly across the street. The tuna melt is always great( ask for a side of curry sauce), great burgers, wings too. The Irish dishes are great. The service is always outstanding and you are always greeted by a smiling face.

• Visited May 2014
Hamden, Connecticut
“Good food and nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Playwright offers a variety of food including several irsh dishes. You can get a very good burger and fries here or other "comfort" food, but if you have a hankering for sheperd's pie or bangers and mash this is the place in Hamden to get it. The smoked salmon is very good.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Love The Playwright”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I am an admitted regular at this establishment. They have a 98% "got it just right rate" by me. Only rarely do they miss. The waitresses are friendly, courteous and thoughtful. The barmen the same. The food especially their Guiness Stew, Sherherds Pie, Chicken Pot Pie, Burgers, Pork Loin special, Pork Chops and soups are delicious and plentiful. And yes it is just like an Irish Pub in Ireland.... I've been to Ireland and can attest to that... So go and have a perfectly poured pint...
Rich..