“Great lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St Michaels Inn

The St Michaels Inn
You added The St Michaels Inn to your Saves list
The St Michaels Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Michaels By Leuchars, Leuchars, St. Andrews KY16 0DU, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leuchars
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch two weeks ago. Nice welcome and best haddock ive had for a long time
Good menu with lots of choice. Enjoyed a couple of games of pool afterwards.Only negatives were a slightly surly waitress and the inns located at a busy crossroads so not easy getting out of carpark

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Recently enjoyed an evening meal here and really, in general was impressed with most aspects of this restaurant. Reviewing anywhere has to be realistic and essentially,you are not going to select the St Michaels Inn if what you want is a gourmet feast.However, on the evening that we ate there, we had good service, food which was hearty and good value for the price we paid and generally a pleasant enough meal.
Decor is dated and jaded as with nearly all eating places in Scotland - and hotels - but all in all, we had a nice enough experience.

Most restaurants use frozen chips so I expected this to be the case here also and it was - but, I have to say,I didn't at all like the frozen chips used here-they seemed to have a coating on them which is very unnatural - also not at all suitable for the many people who are coeliac, as the coating inevitably contains gluten- so not a positive in that respect - maybe the chef needs to be aware of that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Fife, Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stopped off on the way back from Dundee, we didnt have a booking but there was a vacancy even though it was mothers day. The trip to Dundee was to take our mind off the recent bereavement with the meal to finish off a nice day. The young girl showed us to our table and was soon replaced by a young lad, we place our order for the gammon steak and the Balmoral chicken. We asked the waiter what the veg was and head advised chips, which we ordered along with a side salad. The drinks were supplied and shortly afterwards the starter arrived for me, tempura prawns, deep fried prawns served with a chillie sauce.
The batter on the prawns could have done with a little longer in the deep fat fried as the batter was still a bit soft, we then sat back and awaited the main course to which mine duly arrived, my wifes arrived in a bowl of chips and a side salad. I believed that the other dish would shortly arrive when the waiter returned to the kitchen so started to eat my meal. Whilst eating my meal I noticed that the staff appeared to be congregating around the bar area for some reason, trying to get attention to order my wife another drink was nearly impossible. When I did get someones attention I then awaited another 5 mins before the drink arrived, it was at this moment that I inquired as to my wife's meal, he looked a bit lost and then rushed off into the kitchen. He came back shortly and then attempted some form of apology and explained there was a minor problem in the kitchen and that the meal would be delivered soon. I continued to eat my dinner, calling over a waitress to take away the bowl of chips as by this time they were cold and needed heating. At this moment my wifes meal arrived and there were chips on the plate along with seasonal vegetables which were supposed to be a side salad. Needless to say both my wife and myself were totally unimpressed with both the service and the actual meal and since we were already suffering from the bereavement we left the location as soon as we had finished our meal. Im sorry but I have to say that this has been the worst service that I have received in some time, I do travel a lot and dont expect a lot but I do expect to be served adequately and served what we order. For £50 (Actually £48.10) the meal was appalling to say the least.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
St Andrews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a nice relaxing place to eat, the food is we'll cooked and tasty, all is clean, however Toilet lets it down could do with refurb of Bar toilet, However that would not put you off.the staff friendly and attentive and I got the impression that the Management does go the extra mile. Well done.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fife
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

2 of us enjoyed a lovely meal last night at this Hotel. Very quick service considering there was also a function on. Ordered steaks , cooked exactly as we requested.Pleasant surroundings and altogether a nice experience

Room Tip: Didn,t use the rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had dinner here on a Saturday evening and found the lounge of the St. Michaels Inn to be clean, cosy and comfortable.
The menu was varied, the food was very good and the staff were welcoming, friendly and attentive. The price was very reasonable. We had an enjoyable evening and intend to go back. As none of us stayed overnight we can't comment on the rooms or sleep quality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Been in for functions a couple occasions in the past and everything was not too bad, but recently went in one evening with my husband, food looked appetising enough, not sure about the chips, bit too spicy for me - however it was the very large, sparp bone that was in my steak-pie that really put me off, along with the attitude of the management.
The bone had cut the inside of my mouth and when my husband asked for another napkin, the poor young waiter did not know what to do (dont think he liked the sight of blood) - he was most appologetic and instantly removed my plate (without being asked to) with more than half my meal still on it................... Im still waiting for it to be returned.
Management were on site and were told of the incident, although they passed us numerous times neither came to see if I was alright.................
When my husband went to pay the bill - FULL BILL - he was told Ohhhh sorry I didnt realise your wife wasnt finished her meal, half eaten, badly cut gum and a 16 year old telling us that the boss will contact the supplier about the bone................... Not the best customer service from the boss
We certainly wont be back.......................

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The St Michaels Inn? Share your experiences!