“No, No, No...” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Groton, CT
“No, No, No...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

The food is really mediocre. I've actually been a customer since Thai Sawasdee opened in fall 2007, and the reason for me to go back is because it is very close to my home so that when I don't feel like cooking dinner, I would go there--either dine in or get takeouts. So far I havent found one dish that I like it enough to order twice. The protein is always overcooked and bland. The Thai noodle soup is all wrong. Curry is OK, but if you buy a jar of curry paste in the Asian market, and mix with meat and veggie, there won't be much difference. Be careful when you call to get your takeouts. The person aswering the phone isn't a fluent English speaker, and sometimes she gets the flavor completely wrong. Once I ordered drunken noodle extra spicy, and when I brought food home, there wasn't one molecule of hot pepper in the entire dish, and it was annoyingly sweet. Sad to say I may go back again, since there is really no decent Asian restaurant in the area.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rose71, Owner at Thai Sawasdee Authentic Thai Cuisine, responded to this review, January 30, 2010
Our food is fresh, and made with quality ingredients. No MSG ,Color,chemical-FREE
The staff here that can't speak English fluently as born here,but our employees trained and able to communicate with customers in a well

CT
“Refreshing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Last night my husband decided to spoil me and take me out on date. I was creaving Thai food but let's face it the choices are not the best in this area. I read a review about this little restaurant in Groton, and so we went. It's located in the family dollar plaza, it's cute, comfortable and the service was right n the money. The food was awesome. The best papaya salad I have ever had and that is my favorite. I will be back again and again. I recommed.

eastlyme
“Excellent food ,Excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

The staff are always friendly, and the food is excellent.
Lots of vegetarian options too!
Highly recommended.

groton
“Yuck”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

The Pad Thai was horrible, not authentic at all. The sauce and noodles were all wrong and Pad Thai is hard to screw up. It has a poor atmosphere that is not a comfortable place to eat.

We are using real authentic noodles for Pad Thai.
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Discerning Thai Enthusiasts will be delighted!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

I am delighted with Thai Sawasdee in Groton. I used drive all the way to New London to Bangkok City, but now Thai food that is just as good and comparably priced is available in Groton. While there are a few items at Thai Sawasdee that are similar to Bangkok City offerings, there are many delicious dishes at Thai Sawasdee that you just can't get at Bangkok City. Some of my favorite examples are the appetizer sampler platter, the tofu soup, the Thai Sawasdee banana dessert, the green tea ice cream. Yum!

Thai, the owner, is a wonderful host. She enjoys getting to know all of her customers and has great energy and enthusiam.

Thai Sawasdee, though it has a basic decor (to be expected with a start-up venture), is clean. I was recently disappointed by Bangkok City: while eating there at a booth, I looked at the wall next to me and saw dried splattered (food?) all over it. Not appetizing.

I have noticed that Bangkok City is putting more effort into the flavor quality of the dishes since they now have a serious competitor in Thai Sawasdee. If competition leads to better quality, that's fantastic for the customer. I've always thought Bangkok City offered good value and consistent quality at a good price. Thai Sawasdee has food that is just a good, equally consistent, very flavorful, and conveniently located in Groton.

I wish they would do the complimentary lunchtime soup like Bangkok City. But I am definitely thrill about this wonderful new addition to the Groton restaurant scene and recommend that you give it a try.