“Very Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 hotels in Groton
New York City, New York
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We stood at Super 8 this past weekend as we were visiting the local attractions. Based on the reviews, I booked accordingly. So where do I begin?? Check in was quick and rather uneventful. Though I don't smoke, I booked a smoking room (as I've done in the past) hoping I can changes rooms during the check in...it didn't happen. So I walk into the ashtray of the building (my room). Very thick stench of smoke. No worries, opened the window to let it air out. The room itself was dingy. Reclining chair had cigarette burns and rips throughout, rug was stained, the bathroom was dated, and the shower wall had a hole in it. Bedding was ok...not great, just ok. The free breakfast was ordinary at best...nothing special. The kicker here was when a shady dude knocked on my door at 2am...seems he had the wrong room. Wireless internet was decent. Check out was quick. Overall, I was expecting a far better room. I would not recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dedham, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

COST. A room with 2 beds was $80. Taking our kids to Mystic Aqarium and the Seaport for the weekend, we needed only a safe and cheap place to bunk for the night. The past two years we'd stayed at the Marriot Resort and Spa for $300, which we liked ... but this time around that seemed excessive given we were only staying one night and weren't sure we'd stay if Sunday was rained out.
LOCATION. The hotel is just 10 minutes from the Aquarium and Seaport; a bried drive south down Rte 95. It's on a busy, well-lit road near plenty of cheap eat chains (e.g., Taco Bell) if needed.
PARKING. Plentiful and free. Well lit lot.
FACILITIES. No frills. Lobby is worn and frumpy, with college dorm-style furniture adorned with anemic potted plants. You can sit in overstuffed faux leather sofa or, for $1, a vibrating recliner.
FRONT DESK. We, and 8 other patrons -- all with tatoos, piercings, or both -- waited 10 minutes or more before the attendant made his appearance. I passed the time by reading guest's T-shirts: e.g., "S3x is like breathing: you don't miss it until you go without it." Once clerk arrived, he was friendly and efficient.
ROOM: A bit run down, with worn carpeting, rickety AC unit and creaky beds. Cramped, too, with no closet. However, everything appeared clean. Beds were comfortable, and water was hot. All views are of the parking lot.
FOOD: Free breakfast is offered, but we did not have the courage to brave it.
BOTTOM LINE. It did the job of providing a restful sleep and hot shower. However, next time I'd rather spend an extra $50 to go somewhere less ... sketchy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We had family in New London and this hotel was really the perfect location. The room was clean and the bed was perfect. My father-in-law stayed next door and his room was the same. I made the reservations a month ago and the clerk was very nice and very helpful in my plans. We checked with ease and the only issue we had was our keys didn't work the evening of the first day which was fixed and we were on our way.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Groton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed at Super 8 motel from end of March to middle of May with my colleagues. I really can't imagine better manager to run this place as Mr. Terrence Wong is doing. Perfect in every way, always ready to help and serve guests whatever they ask him for. I will gladly come back to this place if I will be in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed here to visit the Mohegan Sun. The room was ok (could have been cleaner in my opinion), had a fridge and microwave, breakfast was ok (coffee, juice: apple and orange, bagels, cereal, danish, muffins and fresh waffles. Location just 10 to 15 minutes drive from the Mohegan Sun and for the price we paid ($50), we'd most likely stay here again if in the area. Basic hotel (hey, remember it's a Super 8 not an Omni), good location and good price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Nantucket
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

I booked this place with hotels.com and they sent them a smoking reservation instead of a non smoking. When we asked to switch to non smoking they were booked so they upgraded us to their suite. The guy at the front desk was very helpful and very accommodating.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

Great motel for the price paid. The rooms and bathroom were clean and decent. The continental breakfast was better than I expected. They had a variety of stuff (bagels, croissants, toast, muffins, etc). My husband and I stayed last weekend for a quick getaway. it's in a great location to get to Mohegan and Foxwood. We actually went to both casinos during our two night stay. It's also easy to get to Mystic from there. It was our first time to Mystc and that was a nice day trip. Overall, a nice trip for us and the hotel stay was good for the price paid.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Motel? Share your experiences!