“Overpriced.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Groton
USA
“Overpriced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Good:
The staff was very friendly and accommodating.
The breakfast was OK.

The Bad:
We paid over $140 for a room.
The water was scalding in the morning. It was so hot, I couldn't shower.
The room smelled really musty. We left the AC on and it didn't help with the smell.
The bathrooms had a bit of water damage as well.

Room Tip: Book a room early someplace else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Honolulu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Paid over $100 on Hotwire for an old, tired looking room. Mystic hotels were much more expensive so we ended up with this one. Front desk clerk was rude upon check in wanting me to pay for 2 more guests when I had booked the room for 4 people. The positive for this hotel is the room is fairly big with two easy chairs with footrests and a semi kitchen with a sink, old microwave and refrigerator. It's located right off the highway in a very quiet area with no immediate neighbors. The free breakfast was very minimal and the time was only 6-9 a.m. The worst part of the room was having a cracked toilet seat taped together.

Cheaper than a Mystic hotel and that's about all I can say!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I don't know what planet the people who gave the good reviews are from but I suspect they were submitted by the owners or their friends as there is NOTHING good about this place. Totally unkempt appearance outside, even worse inside!! Dark, dank, outdated and just plain dirty. Carpet and upholstered chairs stained, outdated peeling wallpaper, musty smelling halls & rooms, kitchen is disgusting and doesn't even have the basics! was told if we wanted utensils we could get some from the basement! Microwave is 30 years old, not kidding!!!!! I saved the best for last... BED BUGS !!

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was amazing. From being able to make last minute reservations, to the price just for starters. When we walked in our room we thought we had to be in the wrong room. There was a kitchen, full living room, HUGE bed and well obviously a bathroom. The associated who work there were very friendly, and the hotel is very clean... And in the morning we got to have breakfast and relax because check out is at 11. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Spent one night at the Econo Lodge Inn and Suites during the OpSail Festival. The room was very clean, the mattress looked brand new. The Suite had a full kitchen that was completely useless since there were no cups, dishes, or silverware and no coffee maker. The hair dryer had been removed from the wall, when I asked if they could provide one they said no! Worst thing for me was the safety chain had been removed from the door so it could not be secured.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nanuet, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We asked for a rollaway bed upon arrival and was told we had to get it ourselves, because the desk clerk was alone (that was at 6:00 pm). When my son came back with the bed, it had only one wheel and several broken slats and looked dirty and no blankets were provided. When we came back from dinner, we requested to swap the broken bed, which they did (this time a different staff member offered to walk with me to the basement and assist in the delivery. I understood the $15.00 extra fee. We had a suite and the locked door between another room was not secure. I tested it before going to bed and it wouldn't stay locked, so I pushed a chair in front of the door. About 15 min later, someone from the other side attempted to open our door. Very scary! They need to check their equipment and have more accomodating staff. Not very clean either.

Room Tip: Safer rooms would be without adjoining doors and closer to the front desk.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

The customer service is just awful here. We had an unfortunate incident with a patron in the adjoining room who went crazy & was trying to get into our room to hurt us. When I asked for a room change in the middle of the night for the protection of my two small children, the response I got was "Really? Really? You want me to change your room right now? Make another key?" Ugh, yeah. In the end, the police were called & the guy had ripped the door off his side and was only 5 minutes away from getting in our room. I asked for a refund for that night & the guy laughed at me, basically said he blamed me for the incident, and told me to get out of here. We left a day early. If you have kids & want to feel safe-dont stay here.

Room Tip: Get one at another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Groton? Share your experiences!