“Cheap but no bargain” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 13 hotels in Groton
Nanuet, New York
“Cheap but no bargain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We asked for a rollaway bed upon arrival and was told we had to get it ourselves, because the desk clerk was alone (that was at 6:00 pm). When my son came back with the bed, it had only one wheel and several broken slats and looked dirty and no blankets were provided. When we came back from dinner, we requested to swap the broken bed, which they did (this time a different staff member offered to walk with me to the basement and assist in the delivery. I understood the $15.00 extra fee. We had a suite and the locked door between another room was not secure. I tested it before going to bed and it wouldn't stay locked, so I pushed a chair in front of the door. About 15 min later, someone from the other side attempted to open our door. Very scary! They need to check their equipment and have more accomodating staff. Not very clean either.

Room Tip: Safer rooms would be without adjoining doors and closer to the front desk.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

The customer service is just awful here. We had an unfortunate incident with a patron in the adjoining room who went crazy & was trying to get into our room to hurt us. When I asked for a room change in the middle of the night for the protection of my two small children, the response I got was "Really? Really? You want me to change your room right now? Make another key?" Ugh, yeah. In the end, the police were called & the guy had ripped the door off his side and was only 5 minutes away from getting in our room. I asked for a refund for that night & the guy laughed at me, basically said he blamed me for the incident, and told me to get out of here. We left a day early. If you have kids & want to feel safe-dont stay here.

Room Tip: Get one at another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Marshfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Even for an Economy hotel this one was horrid! Cracks on the toliet seat w/brown rust the beds were rocks there was mold on the wall! I requested a cot was told there was a 15 charge a night that they "preferred" paid in cash At this point we had driven all day, kids were exhausted, so we paid 17.50 per night cot took 1 hr 15 min to arrive! After a horrid nights sleep we decided we did not want our kids staying here, so I called hotwire explained everything and they called the desk (I had already complained after I read policy book that cots were 10 night) to try an help, about 10 min later hotwire called me back an said that the woman at the desk was even rude to them! I called an said, very nicely, we've decided not stay and before I could even finish the sentence I was cut off an was told "im not giving you any money back" no apologizes for over billing you nothing just rudeness! After demanding atleast my 17.50 back for the cot overcharge (still owed 7.50 for 1st NIGHT) an checking out (still super rude) we went 10 min down the road the Howard Johnson's in Mystic same price and leaps and bounds better! In this day an age people save for vacations an deserve to be treated better then this!

Room Tip: don't go here!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sal P, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Groton, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
I am concerned about the maintenance and staff performance at out hotel during your recent visit. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. At this hotel, we strive to provide the best customer service possible to our guests at all times. Therefore, it is disappointing to learn that you are unhappy.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guest are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong, and how we can
Improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues your have raised have been addressed, and the appropriate
Action has been taken. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience the above
Issues may have caused.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Sal P
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed in a king bed suite and were pretty satisfied with the accomodations. TheTVs and
appliances are kind of outdated but at least they all work ! Having 2 seperate TVs was nice
and the entire suite appeared quite clean, just outdated. Our only issue was with the heat.
The weekend we stayed it was very cold - about 10 degrees - and we checked into a very
cold room - the heat was turned off. Also, the heater is located in the bedroom instead of the
main room, so once the heat got going it was too hot in the bedroom. We were up several
times during the night adjusting the heat. All in all, the suite was clean, quiet, inexpensive.
Front desk very friendly and helpful. The breakfast leaves a liitle to be desired but it was
OK. Would probably stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Everett
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We took a road trip to CT in September amd Stayed at Econolodge Inn and Suites. Very nice room with Non Smoking, 2 Queens and seperate sitting area with tv, Small ajoining kitchette with frige, micro with bar and stools. Large windows, Quiet. There is no cutlery or dishes or pots, so bring your own if you intend to eat in the room. Close to Fowwoods and Mohegan Sun and Mystique which is full of interesting shops. The whole area is lovely, lots of trees which is pretty in the fall. Had a nice time there.

Room Tip: Take 2nd floor.... there is an elevator.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed in June 2011. I thought I should take the time to post a review here. They gave a suite which was surprisingly large. It was clean, quiet. Breakfast was good. In all I had a great time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
West Hartford, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were delighted upon check in to discover that our room actually consisted of a large sitting area separated by a wall behind which were two queen beds. The suite also had a fridge, microwave, and dining bench -- plus there was a TV in each area! These features were a definite plus! However, while the room was sufficiently clean it did not sparkle. The rug could have used a vacuuming and a huge bug crawled across our TV screen. Moreover,the blankets were pilling as were the bedspreads --ugh. I should also mention that the heater was not functioning properly and only cool air emanated from the vent. The very kind desk clerk did find a space heater for us. (ironically we were staying there because of an extended power failure in our area). The hotel also did not provide conditioner along with the shampoo and there was really no place for the soap in the sink area. A continental breakfast is provided which is convenient. Unfortunately,the offerings are sparse and what is really laughable is that cereal bowls the size of small dessert dishes are all that are on hand for the cornflakes, etc.
This place is fine for a short stay, but the management could make it much more inviting with very little effort I believe.

Room Tip: Ask for a nonsmoking room if that's what you want since you will not be asked your preference
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Groton? Share your experiences!