“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Albany, New York
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Couldn't beat the location! So convenient to Mystic! I prefered driving to Mystic via route 1 (rather than highway 95) because it's scenic and can explore. I didn't use the pool but my parents did and enjoyed it. Free breakfast the next morning was yum. The room did smell a little when we first got there--my sister said it's prob just the smell of the cleaner, so we left the door open as we unpacked and settled and sure enough the smell went away!!! Parking easy and staff very nice! Had refrigerator and microwave, iron and hair dryer. (although my parents room next door did not have fridge--odd)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the center, since the center stairwell is an inside stairwell and my Dad fel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

It sounds like others have had bad experiences here, and I overheard a complaint about a loud a/c unit at the front desk, but our experience was overall very good. The room was clean though basic, and the beds are old and soft, but clean and neatly made up. They replace towels if you leave them on the floor, so if they're hung up they leave them. It's water/energy saving and I love it. We slept pretty well, and for $67.50 a night I can't complain. The breakfast was great. Simple, but very well managed, and there was a waffle maker the 2nd morning we were there. I didn't use it, but others did. The woman managing the room was very helpful, offering to cut and warm hard boiled eggs for me since there weren't eggs out that morning. I took her up on it and enjoyed them with sausage, juice, coffee, and a danish. Everything was excellent. Even the juice in the electric dispenser was the best I've had in a while. Instant oatmeal also available in 3 or 4 flavors. And yogurt.
Yes, the rooms need some updating, and I heard loud a/c units walking by other rooms, but overall we were very happy. Concerning the pool, we didn't swim in it, but when we arrived our sinuses were burning from the chlorine smell in the lobby, adjacent to the pool. The next day it was better, so maybe they were fixing a problem the other reviewer pointed out?
Maybe it's hit or miss with your experience here. We had a very good stay, only 10 minutes to Mystic where we were visiting. Good places to eat in Groton, too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is old and really dirty. The pool had dead bugs in it and the front desk guy said to just leave it because it wasn't bothering anyone. The ceiling tiles are filled with water damage and look like they are going to fall down. The overall room was pretty clean until we got ready to go to bed and found blood on the sheet. DISGUSTING!!!! Worse of all they let there employees live at the hotel. Bad Business. Would never stay here again!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Winslow, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here because we got a great price. I looked up reviews on other sites and it didn't seem too bad. It was rough. Needs lots of work, Painting, new carpets, new wallpaper to name a few. The staff was friendly, area was decent. Breakfast was ehhh, cereal, apples, toast, danish, eggs, sausage, no waffles. We left for the entire day, 8:30-9:30, housekeeping never showed. So dirty towels. Had to get our own at the desk. When I called to ask if they didn't "tidy up" everyday, the desk clerk said his records from housekeeping said they cleaned the room. He was very nice, and glad I called. Also, behind the bed there was so much white dust. We stayed, we have stayed in worse. I did check for bed bugs, didn't see any.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Hotel is easy to get to and not far from downtwon. Although a bit older, it is well maintained and comfortable. Ample parking is a plus. Not a fan of rooms whose doors are on the outside of the building but everthing else is no problem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Glace Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently stayed in the Quality Inn, Groton, Connecticut for three nights. Even though this is an older property it is extremely well maintained and clean. I found the front desk staff to be very helpful with directions to local attractions and for almost all my needs they gave me printed instructions on how to get where I was going. The WIFI connection was better than average and there was a very good selection of Cable network TV stations even though the TV`s were a bit dated. The hotel location is good if one has a vehicle and needs to be near highways. It is only a 10 minute drive from downtown New London, Conn. and 15 or so minutes from Mystic, Conn.
The breakfast was nothing special but the norm for this level hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel for travellers visiting this region of the state.

Room Tip: If travellers have lots of luggage get a room on the first floor near the main entrance.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Taunton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

It was clean and quiet and the staff checking us is was really friendly and accommodating. I usually don't stay in these "mid-level" class hotel, but we had a bunch of family staying there for an event nearby and we wanted to be together. It is literally 30 seconds off the highway and centrally located to a lot of things, so the location is a big plus. It was inexpensive, so it was a good value since we'd just be sleeping there and that's it. Except, we slept terrible on the way-too-soft mattress. The pool looked nice, but we didn't have time to partake, so not sure about that. They included a continental breakfast, but breakfast was part of the event, so I can't say if their breakfast was any good. If you have need an economic place to stay, this is a good value as long as you don't need a lot of comforts

Room Tip: The rooms around the back (even numbered rooms) are a little more private. I didn't ask, so I do...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!